500 mile birds

blaz

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can any of the distance flayers on her describe what they look for in a potential 500 mile pigeon. (ie body length wing size eye ect) thanks

that they can make it home , fitness is a must so need to be 100 % healthy , all my 500 milers have been medium to large in size but very boyant and light and balanced , wing tips must touch if they dont they wouldnt go ;) i like to see good wing musle a tight second wing end flights near same size , and medium to large flight width with tail feathers with good feathering down to tail flight , i like a slightly longer cast bird , and two eyes are a bonus ;)

well balance  i think most top pigeons  have it  as regards eyes wings i think that can differ from size of wings to thickness of flights but in most pigeons that are winners what ever the difference  most have balance  

i know i havent really answered your question again  ;D ;D ;D

not  totally but we are getting their

shaped like a teardrop, feathers like silk, tight in the vent, tail look like 1 feather ,well proportioned ,long supple pectorals ,shallow keeled, well ballanced and last but not least bloodlines.

jmo

And when held, the pigeons Wing knuckle is closer to the pigeon than yours.

Like rowing a boat. the wider your arms the less effective.

Guest slugmonkey

LONG WINGS well ventilated BIG and BOYANT  as  Old Yellow said the longer the better I think some of these guys are looking at show birds I also agree that 500 and 600 mile birds are a bit diffrent most guys are culling 600 mile birds because they arent trapping on the 100 mile races they also fly longer and take the long way home on tosses ( another reason to use the basket for culling ) although the super birds I have had usally will do OK on some shorter races

all sorts of shapes and sizes  the 2 amal toppers in the one loft in our club are beautiful pigeons yet the pigeon tha won it 3 yrs ago is massive and disproportionate>(that a big word for tues. morning) its whats in the head and heart that matters and making sure they fit and prepared fot it

Our fed only goes 482 mile to me,but I'm sure my old timer could cope with a few extra miles, a bit of a plodder upto 200,then again when he was younger he scored at shorter races.He's won grom Portsmouth 300ml,Fourgeres 452ml and Messac at 482 ml.He handles long fairly norrow andhas a great temprement,also looks the part.He's never came home distressed and always full of himself,I can't ever remember him being off colour even though some of his loft mates at sometime or other have been.As Blackdog says the three H's Head,Health and Heart the rest will follow.Also had a Red cock completely different shape though good to handle, won Lessay twice,near enough won the fed.The H's were there.

Lindsay

click to enlarge.

Our fed only goes 482 mile to me,but I'm sure my old timer could cope with a few extra miles, a bit of a plodder upto 200,then again when he was younger he scored at shorter races.He's won grom Portsmouth 300ml,Fourgeres 452ml and Messac at 482 ml.He handles long fairly norrow andhas a great temprement,also looks the part.He's never came home distressed and always full of himself,I can't ever remember him being off colour even though some of his loft mates at sometime or other have been.As Blackdog says the three H's Head,Health and Heart the rest will follow.Also had a Red cock completely different shape though good to handle, won Lessay twice,near enough won the fed.The H's were there.

Lindsay

click to enlarge.

looks a nice pigeon what breed is he.

ive handled a good few top long distance birds every one had good strong backs medium to small size good strong wing buts a cracking step up from secondery to main flights good size of wing and another thing when you got a good long distance pigeon they dont tend to exercise with the rest the go off on there own suppose to be a sign of there ready i got told ive handled nfc winners mnfc winners every single one the owner said what i just wrote but if there 100% ready you no its one of them things you can see a bird in form by the way its sparkles same as a bird when not in form all to your own at the end of the day but this is what i look for

all the best

k baker

I think it depends what you mean by 500 mile birds there are many that will get 500 but not go any further and there are others much rarer that will not start to perform until 400 up to 700 and some beyond. For the proper long distance bird you will find no pigeon will fly it, without a complete eye cere and the same can be said for the majority of 50- 500 mile pigeons. If it doesn't have a complete eye cere it won't do it and I'm not talking about pigeons that come in a couple of weeks I'm talking about the best pigeons. The eye cere doesn't need to be thick but it needs to be complete.

Carney came to my loft twice in 02 & 04 when I was in Yorkshire and I was flabergasted that he would just look at them on the perch and be able to pick them, he didn't need to put his glass on or handle them. Now I don't know how but again I spent a lot more time looking at the birds on the perch trying to work this out and the eye cere (and the fllat head) were the two things that staood out for distance pigeons. I've since had Peter Van Eijden's dvd and he says the same and that's good enough for me!! (And my birds meet this criteria and every loft I've been to)

gary some of the best 500 ml men stay near you i would go on a loft visit for a look maybe they will let you handle them ? .if you like can sort loft visit for you

i have 500 to 600 mile birds of proven 500 to 600 mile pigeons.and some down of nat winners and multiple award winners.i am just looking for opinions as might show one or two this weekend at the rosewell show. evry day is a school day.

Regarding the size of a long distance pigeon.                              

I for years always thought the right size was small to medium.                              

Until a fancier friend in our club raced a very large cattryse hen.                              

It was bred by another fancier in the club, he always brought good stock this fancier did.                              

Won something like (if memory is correct) the Federation from Thurso (500 miles)                               

Stonehaven 384 miles (3 weeks before) and the following year won Thurso again only bird on the day.                              

Honestly the size of that pigeon.                              

Its right, its hidden inside.                              

This is a difficult question to answer, reason been weather conditions, many pigeons wil fly and do well at 500 miles in a tail wind, but wind on the nose, or no wind and it will be a diiferent matter, As one of the earlier posts said its time on the wing that kills pigeons.

They also come in all shapes and sizes im afraid,winners i mean, yes we all like them to be mr Perfect but this is not always the case.In my own team they would all have to fly 500 very early in life to be able to go on further i mean, But i like small to medium birds , like silk

tight vent slightly long casted if possible. One day i had a man come from away to buy some babies, and naturally he handled all the birds, at the time i had 7 , 700 milers in the loft winners included, i gave him all the 7 not telling him anything , he said as i gave him them as this flown the distance yes was the reply, he shook his head, next one same it had been 1st 476 miles and scored 5 times at 500 miles he shook his head.

I said is there something wrong dont you like them you keep shaking your head, the man said Mr Woolliss im 77 years old i have never seen pigeons that have won like these

that do not have a big step in there wing im shocked.Two of the birds had 14 national prizes between them from 370 miles to 815 miles, In fact i think in the 7 there was 20 ish national postions between them.Plus the 500 mile club and fed prizes  well just short of 500 ,food for thought perhaps.

This is a difficult question to answer, reason been weather conditions, many pigeons wil fly and do well at 500 miles in a tail wind, but wind on the nose, or no wind and it will be a diiferent matter, As one of the earlier posts said its time on the wing that kills pigeons.

They also come in all shapes and sizes im afraid,winners i mean, yes we all like them to be mr Perfect but this is not always the case.In my own team they would all have to fly 500 very early in life to be able to go on further i mean, But i like small to medium birds , like silk

tight vent slightly long casted if possible. One day i had a man come from away to buy some babies, and naturally he handled all the birds, at the time i had 7 , 700 milers in the loft winners included, i gave him all the 7 not telling him anything , he said as i gave him them as this flown the distance yes was the reply, he shook his head, next one same it had been 1st 476 miles and scored 5 times at 500 miles he shook his head.

I said is there something wrong dont you like them you keep shaking your head, the man said Mr Woolliss im 77 years old i have never seen pigeons that have won like these

that do not have a big step in there wing im shocked.Two of the birds had 14 national prizes between them from 370 miles to 815 miles, In fact i think in the 7 there was 20 ish national postions between them.Plus the 500 mile club and fed prizes  well just short of 500 ,food for thought perhaps.

Paul you are one of the best at real distance racing and the point you make is so valid,handling a bird doen't prove anything it maybe lessens the odds dependant on the relevance of what you look at, When did you see a beautiful marathon winner, with silky hair, perfect body confrimation, perfect legs????? It always amazes me that the standard conformation given is like that of a show racer except more long cast with ventalation in the wing for a distance bird. Some of the ugliest small hens I have seen have been the best Lerwick winners. I recently saw some Shepherd Southwells direct and two of the hens had tumbler heads!!

Regarding the size of a long distance pigeon.                              

I for years always thought the right size was small to medium.                              

Until a fancier friend in our club raced a very large cattryse hen.                              

It was bred by another fancier in the club, he always brought good stock this fancier did.                              

Won something like (if memory is correct) the Federation from Thurso (500 miles)                               

Stonehaven 384 miles (3 weeks before) and the following year won Thurso again only bird on the day.                              

Honestly the size of that pigeon.                              

Its right, its hidden inside.                              

Yes I have a cock in my loft now that has been 2nd at 473 mile found in loft with the winner and 18th section nfc 556 miles he is big! But this is I think the exception rather than the rule

i have 500 to 600 mile birds of proven 500 to 600 mile pigeons.and some down of nat winners and multiple award winners.i am just looking for opinions as might show one or two this weekend at the rosewell show. evry day is a school day.

Blaz it's a lottery, the judge will have his own type, if you know who it is try and find out what type of bird he has in his loft and if you can show the equivalent.