YOUNG BIRD SICKNESS

barry

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point I was making is you don't kill a bird just because it gets sick.

You say the young bird inherits its immune system from its parent that is right but as you know it does not inherit one that will protect it against everything. Most healthy adults can fight of an infection and do so without even showing signs of having it, but that same infection can make the young sick so they may need a little help until they are strong enough to fight it. If a young bird is sick because of infection then I see no harm in helping it beat that infection. I agree that to many fanciers reach for the antibiotics just because the birds are of form.

I would not agree that you should kill a bird just because it gets sick, if someone does not believe in the use of antibiotics then they should give the birds immune system a chance to fight it. Bruno I find your posted very good reading and a lot of what you have said I have taken on board. I am one of those's men that has to get to the bottom of things and try to understand how and why. So I don't always agree with other people point of view unless it is made clear to me how and why something works. I don't have to tell someone like you that this sport has more opinions that fact. Can you imagine how a new start would feel if his young birds got sick and he was lead to believe the only thing to do was to kill them?

There is nothing you have said that I do not agree with. I for one would never kill anything just because it fell ill. I think the point being made and which we both picked up on, was the case of a bird or birds and their progeny continually falling ill, and the continued use of antibiotics / medicines to cure these birds.

The best thing on health that a new start should believe is that his/her birds must be inherently healthy and come from a long line of healthy stock. The last thing he/she wants is to bring in a sickly bird, there is nothing more distressing for a new start than a sick bird, saving perhaps eventually losing it.

I was thinking the  same way as Jimmy and all I could think of was the food but that would not explain why only some of the young birds get sick and die.

I agree with him when he says there is no such thing as yb sickness, or to put it another way, no one thing that causes yb sickness. There are a number of viruses that cause young birds to get sick and also a number of bacterial infections. It could be a virus that is making your birds sick, and a bacterial infections making my birds sick. So that brings me back to the question why do all the young in the same loft not die ?

Very few lofts that breed small young bird teams ever get YB sickness I have never had it. What has numbers got to do with fighting off virus or bacterial infections? All I can think of is the less stress there is the stronger the birds health will be. Could it be that when the numbers drop the stress levels drop?

i would agree with you ,p,scout  i have definately noticed that the stress factor is a high risk one for so called yb sickness, i aso have noticed shadows posts over the last few years [dont know him] he kept small amounts of birds with plenty room, have noticed quite obviosly that fanciers with fewer ybs and more room i,e less stress are less likely to contract this, but still find your point interesting, on why all the ybs in the loft dont get it ,if some do , but in these cases i have seen it is usualy the weaker or younger birds contract this, my main concern is why most folk look for a cure rather than look as to why they do get this, my own opinion is ,overcrowding,wrong conditions of lofts, =stress, i would say is the biggest factor

Guest slugmonkey

If you really think meds are the case try this

give cider vinegar, garlic and probiotics! if you have them propped up as stated they probably arent going to live long anyway so what do you have to lose try them on cider vinegar 2 times a week and garlic once and probiotic the other 4 and see if they dont come around I did this although I dont think mine were that bad

If you are breeding this weakness into your strain you will be dependant on antibiotics forever and its just a matter of time before disaster strikes resulting in massive losses and catastrophic failure

then empty your medicine chest I think you will be suprised I havent treated my breeders with anything other than this for over 2 years now and havent lost ANY birds other than 1 that was 19 years old and I am sure it was just his time oops I lied I do treat for worms once a year

i used bayflox(broad spectrum antibiotic) after using nifurimycin which didnt touch them....after 3 days of using bayflox i was seeing big changes to the sick birds...cost me £19 a bottle but very strong and very useful...paul :)

• 3 months later...

HERE IN HEIDELBERG, SOUTH AFRICA WE ARE THREE WEEKS AWAY BEFORE OUR FIRST RACE.  CURRENTLY WE ARE BUSY WITH TRAINING TOSSES WITH THE FED.  BUT THE YOUNG BIRDS STRUGGLE.  I HAVE LOST 17 YOUNG BIRDS FROM TRAINING TOSSES AND YESTERDAY I SAW THE EVIDENCE WHY..... YOUNG BIRD DISEASE!!!!  THE YOUNGSTERS EAT THERE CROPS FULL AND THE NEXT MORNING YOU ENTER THE LOFT, YOU SEE THE FOOD LYING ON THE PERCHES (VOMITING), THEY LOOSE CONDITION AND ARE SKINNY.  I HAVE PUT THEM ON A COURCE WITH BELGAMCO DE WEERDT AND SEE IF IT WILL HELP.  ANY OTHER ADVICE HOW TO GET THE BIRDS READY IN TIME FOR THE FIRST RACE?  

Bilco's yb cure Xerok(? sorry Bill can't remember the exact spelling) it has been very successful over here at solving this problem, he's on this list send him a PM. Also Chevita do a very good product i believe for adnovirus, have a search of their website.

Bilco is probably your better source though because his will be cheaper and he will do his utmost to help.

Guest TAMMY_1
forget the first race and get the birds health or a years breeding could be ruined

DID THAT VET IN EDINBURGH TELL YOU THAT WAN ;D

Bilco's yb cure Xerok(? sorry Bill can't remember the exact spelling) it has been very successful over here at solving this problem, he's on this list send him a PM. Also Chevita do a very good product i believe for adnovirus, have a search of their website.

Bilco is probably your better source though because his will be cheaper and he will do his utmost to help.

As the man who "invented" it says "Xerek" is a mix of carbonates he then says bicarbonate is definitley not one he uses. From my point of view if mixed carbonates work bicab probably would be worth a shout it will certainly give the crop "a good kicking" and a fivers worth will last a life time. Try a teaspoon to a 5 pint drinker and for god sake no cider vinegar when you use it. If the youngsters have serious secondary infections they will still need the appropriate treatment especially to tackle e-coli remember the sulpha drugs will help with that and cocci, but if the e-coli is the main problem something like amoxicillin would definetly be better.

All the best hope things go well and hope you get on top of the problem.

hi i tend to use nafuramicin i think that how u spell it and an electrolyte to replace fluids and ect lost also gempethpax on the corn and feed light leave em in the loft but watch for secondary infections cidar vinager is good and natural yogart build em back up slowly u dont want to be cause to much stress and cause your self more prombles on em im managed to pull mine round they were an sorry sight will see what happens all the best jon

very interesting reading think ive yb sickness they flew 1hour last night yet today i noticed 3perches with food on them as precaution i did not let them out & put coxi in the water to prevent picking anything else up after reading this topic which are the best results to stop this xerek been mentioned severals times along with cider vinegar where can the xerek be bought from any advise welcome

very interesting reading think ive yb sickness they flew 1hour last night yet today i noticed 3perches with food on them as precaution i did not let them out & put coxi in the water to prevent picking anything else up after reading this topic which are the best results to stop this xerek been mentioned severals times along with cider vinegar where can the xerek be bought from any advise welcome

Xerex from Dazer International tel 01733 315888

for all those people looking for a cure to yb sickness, it is a virus ... and ask any doctor you cannot cure a virus , god what or how do you people think... just keep birds in for 10 days and feed lightly and plenty of plain water...

VIRUS CANT BE CURED.......... IF YOU MEDICATE IT WILL COME BACK AFTER. AS SOON AS YOU STOP MEDICATING :-/

The point I was making is you don't kill a bird just because it gets sick.

You say the young bird inherits its immune system from its parent that is right but as you know it does not inherit one that will protect it against everything. Most healthy adults can fight of an infection and do so without even showing signs of having it, but that same infection can make the young sick so they may need a little help until they are strong enough to fight it. If a young bird is sick because of infection then I see no harm in helping it beat that infection. I agree that to many fanciers reach for the antibiotics just because the birds are of form.

I would not agree that you should kill a bird just because it gets sick, if someone does not believe in the use of antibiotics then they should give the birds immune system a chance to fight it. Bruno I find your posted very good reading and a lot of what you have said I have taken on board. I am one of those's men that has to get to the bottom of things and try to understand how and why. So I don't always agree with other people point of view unless it is made clear to me how and why something works. I don't have to tell someone like you that this sport has more opinions that fact. Can you imagine how a new start would feel if his young birds got sick and he was lead to believe the only thing to do was to kill them?

Yes I also believe that!

But then we try always to have the birds impeccable to breed from... What is said nigh every time 'I treat for Worms, Canker, etc. etc.'

Now if the birds are to be bred from and they get their 'Monetisation' from the parents, and they always carry a mild dose etc. of most things ... It is what is needed to fight the diseases if and when they get them. Also the Jab is giving the birds a mild jab to get over it etc. to immune their system a bit.

So why clean the birds right out when breeding from them?

I don't and never have personally, but I think one is say one thing but not trusting in nature to do it's job, and more importantly doing more harm that good and breeding birds with a weaken constitution, likewise close breeding.

JMO.

for all those people looking for a cure to yb sickness, it is a virus ... and ask any doctor you cannot cure a virus , god what or how do you people think... just keep birds in for 10 days and feed lightly and plenty of plain water...

VIRUS CANT BE CURED.......... IF YOU MEDICATE IT WILL COME BACK AFTER. AS SOON AS YOU STOP MEDICATING :-/

Most writers agree that it is a combination [virus, bacteria, yeast etc] at work and the attack is triggered by stress.

No matter how cast iron the immune system is, stress can overcome it. And the birds immune system like our own is well equipped to tackle any virus - without outside help. If that wasn't true, we'd all be very dead or very sick.  :)