Feeding birds coal as a supliment

DOVEScot

We used to mine really hard coal at Seafield due to the compression of the Forth and it really shiny when cut, anthracite is really shiny as well :)

yes anthracite was very hard and gave off a lot of heat, used to be good for heating the water, but the black shiny stuff, good god the mind is going,

Is there anything in coal that a pigeon needs is what you should ask.

I know they love it and miners used to take home bags of it for their pigeons when I worked in the pits. I was not into pigeons then so never thought to ask. As I said my brother has a chance of getting me some so I would like to know what is the best form to get it

Also interested in whats it in that is good for them.

I get type one hard core for jobs and if it sits in my trailer at all my birds are in picking at the small and fine particles :-/

Guest karl adams

i dont know whats in half the stuff birds love to eat  but they know were to find it  in my yard i have a fire bin  and cant keep my birds out of the ashes all the wild birds get in it to sparrows allways bathing init

batches of racing pigeons go down leven beach and pick there for ages, beside the grit and coal so they must like something from there,

Yes I like you(same as ;) ) see birds acting naturally and picking what the need from their surroundings, whether it be the beach, hard core, building sand, salt from the sides of the roads, the underside of my car, burnt wood and ashes and they seem to crave it despite having red/black minerals, pigeon grit, pecking pots and mineral blocks on a regular if not daily supply:-/

Guest karl adams

i used to keep and breed British birds and mules but had lots of trouble with them going light and dying so i started to go out every day and collect as many wild plants and seeds as i could from then on the going light stopped but i never new what seed or plant stopped it

sorry bit off topic

but had a mate whos birds went mad on the mole hills near his lofts

they must of been getting sommit out of them that he wasnt giving them

Mole hills are meant to be the best soil so using Tipplermans theory we now can source the soil :)

Talking about a good cheap supplement. this is a fantastic grit/mineral/salt supplement. mix in equal quantities crushed barbeque briquettes, rock salt (the type from the gritting machines) and clean soil. Mix altogether and fill your pots (I use the emptied red pickstone pots) after you fill the pots, let them dry out by natural means......the birds love this mixture once put in front of them

sorry bit off topic

but had a mate whos birds went mad on the mole hills near his lofts

they must of been getting sommit out of them that he wasnt giving them

Used to collect one and spread it , then take back and replace. great for natureal minerals. Likewise Coal. I know that if you see a bird missing when pecking up - can't see this of course unless hand feding to floor - a little charcoal sorts and fixes within 24 hours.

Guest youngboy
coal keeps the crop sweet like charcaol does basically,,,,,its an old fanciers practise,but,mostly done with coalminer fanciers !

very true i just put in charcoal and leave them pick off wat the want!! never had sour crop since i started using it!! there is also suppuse to be loads of iron in it to!!

Guest BRYANBROCK
keeps droppings dry but if they get too muck black also, I remember humans used to suck a bit coal if they had indigestion

Also the coal dust was good for cleaniong the teeth that if you had any l.o.l   (wiseman)(wiseman)

Guest frank dooman

its good at dysart, the nice small coal mixed with nice shell grit, just lightly scrape it up, you do get it sometimes at leven, when the tide is going back, also lots of racing pigeon down at it, see them often at leven, make sure you dont get too big pieces of shell get the nice small stuff,

do they glow in the dark after eating it archie when you get it from there??? ;D ;D ;D