Paratyphoid! Can it be stopped?

Guest Vic

All birds looking immaculate presently.Two wet perches. Loose droppings! Why? Maybe because of the the treatment. I'll sort it, one way or the other.

Wondered at probiotics for 10 days? Back in my yoghurt days, 3-days-once-a-month was my maximum as I found that birds got loose droppings after that.

Now on Flightpath, and its a one-day-once-a-month thing. Makers also say fully re-colonised after 24 hours so 10 days does appear OTT.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At one teaspoon per gallon PrimaLac can be used daily, if desired. I use it daily during breeding season as young pigeons develop beautiful feather. I discovered this when reading a university study on the use of PrimaLac with Bob White Quail chicks. Another benefit is good bacteria are excreted into the loft in the droppings creating a hostile environment for Salmonella. Thanks to Dr. Gord Chalmers for this tip.

While yoghurt contains active bacteria that is helpful to the birds, the lactose can produce loose droppings. In addition, the sugars can be counterproductive if a problem with ecoli exists as these bacteria feed on the sugars.

vets usually constitute failed graduates who were not clever enough to become surgeons, doctors or solicitors, however the ideas of earning big bucks still gives them license to do so. You take my vet, does'nt matter what animal or vertibrae you take to him for diagnostic treatment (1) he cannot handle the animal/bird but still charges you £17.50 FOR THE PRIVELIDGE OF YOU HANDLING YOUR OWN BIRD/ANIMAL (2) then follows some grunts, groans followed many referrals to a book, then looks over the top of his glasses, with the look like a well intoxicated Steven Fry then coughs and says "It maybe this or could be that, its hard to say, what do you usually treat them with".

This follows by him stabbing the keyboard of an old MK1 Computer and then pushes you through a sliding door into what was an old broom cupboard, after about 10 minutes and old woman leaning on a mop the best side of 70+ smoking a fag, snarls she won't be long love she gone toilet, she's had the trots all day.(watery droppings eh ?) Putting in an appearance this pale faced woman comes to the counter ans says that will be £43.87 love, followed by my shreiks of "HOW MUCH"? I dont make the prices up love, he does now do you want this stuff or not, I'm not hear to argue. I am not joking its like something you'd watch on the telly, its a good job we northerners have a sense of humour.Well SENSE is what we were all blessed with from birth, so lets put it to some common use and stop putting monies in the pockets of the white coated charlatans?

vets usually constitute failed graduates who were not clever enough to become surgeons, doctors or solicitors, however the ideas of earning big bucks still gives them license to do so. You take my vet, does'nt matter what animal or vertibrae you take to him for diagnostic treatment (1) he cannot handle the animal/bird but still charges you £17.50 FOR THE PRIVELIDGE OF YOU HANDLING YOUR OWN BIRD/ANIMAL (2) then follows some grunts, groans followed many referrals to a book, then looks over the top of his glasses, with the look like a well intoxicated Steven Fry then coughs and says "It maybe this or could be that, its hard to say, what do you usually treat them with".

This follows by him stabbing the keyboard of an old MK1 Computer and then pushes you through a sliding door into what was an old broom cupboard, after about 10 minutes and old woman leaning on a mop the best side of 70+ smoking a fag, snarls she won't be long love she gone toilet, she's had the trots all day.(watery droppings eh ?) Putting in an appearance this pale faced woman comes to the counter ans says that will be £43.87 love, followed by my shreiks of "HOW MUCH"? I dont make the prices up love, he does now do you want this stuff or not, I'm not hear to argue. I am not joking its like something you'd watch on the telly, its a good job we northerners have a sense of humour.Well SENSE is what we were all blessed with from birth, so lets put it to some common use and stop putting monies in the pockets of the white coated charlatans?

Luckily, not had same experience as yourself. First had cause to visit a vet in 2004, he was very up-front and told me he knew nothing about birds - but referred me to a vet that did, he phoned them and my bird was seen same day.

Consulted that avian vet twice since, maximum charge was £30 in 2004 - and that was for the Lab expenses for growing-on a bacterial culture in attempt to identify the pathogen.

On handling; must agree with your own vet here, mine did the same, I held the bird while he did what was necessary; I think it's common sense really, bird will be stressed-out enough with procedures etc, without being handled by a stranger too.

vets usually constitute failed graduates who were not clever enough to become surgeons, doctors or solicitors

a vet would  technicaly be more qualified than a doctor they have to learn the anatomy of many animals , not just one like the doctor has i cant see why a failed graduate at law says sod this 3 year course to start  a 7 year course to be a Vet , just doesnt add up , can see a vet becoming a doctor but not the other way round

At one teaspoon per gallon PrimaLac can be used daily, if desired. I use it daily during breeding season as young pigeons develop beautiful feather. I discovered this when reading a university study on the use of PrimaLac with Bob White Quail chicks. Another benefit is good bacteria are excreted into the loft in the droppings creating a hostile environment for Salmonella. Thanks to Dr. Gord Chalmers for this tip.

While yoghurt contains active bacteria that is helpful to the birds, the lactose can produce loose droppings. In addition, the sugars can be counterproductive if a problem with ecoli exists as these bacteria feed on the sugars.

As before, Larry, I find your views thought-provoking.

My understanding of gut microflora is that it is all about checks & balances between the different colonies. I understand that there are around 400 different strains each having around 1000 members present? Of these Lactobacteria form just part - what percentage I don't know, but I do know that not all bacteria produce Lactic Acid.

Agree that Lactic Acid has action on transit.  Biology at school taught that that was down to peristalsis - rythmic flexing of the gut pushing contents forward (and if you are really unlucky anti-peristalsis will bring it all back up) but Lactic Acid must act as a sort of catalyst, too much production as you say (from the Lactobacteria) will cause loose droppings - and too little will cause constipation, or perhaps those sticky droppings members have asked about elsewhere on the Site. So 'balance' must be right at all times.

But there must be trade-off, because Lactic Acid lowers gut pH which makes it a hostile environment for some of our birds' pathogens. And so to yoghurt which has both lactobacteria that turned the milk sour (turning it to yoghurt) and lactic acid, which is the sour taste. All bacteria need sugars - ooliwhatsits - the trick I'm told is to make 'the food source' available only to the normal gut microflora - there in numbers, and not the pathogens, preferably not there at all.

So going back to Vic's loose droppings. Could these be down to an imbalance in gut flora - too much lactobacteria, and not enough of the other types? Perhaps caused by PrimaLac which appears to be only Lactobacteria? And in my case too, by the yoghurt - which also appears to be only Lactobacteria - over too many days?

FlightPath claims it contains the full pigeon gut microflora, although it does not list them..

Guest latecomer

[face=Arial][/face]paratyphoid is salmonella which has penetrated the intestine wall and is in the bloodstream and then goes to joints and finally the brain causing the twisting necks.

Hi Guys, I didn't like the idea of having the thread removed, considering the interest that was shown by  the rank and file of members. Many have sent messages, one way or another, stating their concern on the subject.  With a thread that has over 4,000 views ,it should not have been  removed from its original placing, because some novices (pc wise) will be scratching their heads where it went to. This paratyphoid infection could be the final nail in the pigeon flyers coffin, remember that!  I have had no twisted necks etc. becase it is completely different to Paramyxo as somebody suggests. Birds looking well, can die within 24-48 hours without showing a leading up sympton. I am no novice by the way, and my birds over the years, have always been in peak condition. But mark my words! This is something that will give you all nightmares, if your birds contact it.      

May I add that, the loose droppings from the two cocks are starting to firm up. May I also add, there is a big difference between a sloppy dropping and a wet dropping.  Paramyxo droppings are mainly just liquid. Whereas in my mind, a sloppy dropping leaves a wet stain when removed. If the treatment, I have subjected my birds to, does the trick. It may, I hope, help some other pigeon flyers out, in the future.  

As before, Larry, I find your views thought-provoking.

My understanding of gut microflora is that it is all about checks & balances between the different colonies. I understand that there are around 400 different strains each having around 1000 members present? Of these Lactobacteria form just part - what percentage I don't know, but I do know that not all bacteria produce Lactic Acid.

Agree that Lactic Acid has action on transit.  Biology at school taught that that was down to peristalsis - rythmic flexing of the gut pushing contents forward (and if you are really unlucky anti-peristalsis will bring it all back up) but Lactic Acid must act as a sort of catalyst, too much production as you say (from the Lactobacteria) will cause loose droppings - and too little will cause constipation, or perhaps those sticky droppings members have asked about elsewhere on the Site. So 'balance' must be right at all times.

But there must be trade-off, because Lactic Acid lowers gut pH which makes it a hostile environment for some of our birds' pathogens. And so to yoghurt which has both lactobacteria that turned the milk sour (turning it to yoghurt) and lactic acid, which is the sour taste. All bacteria need sugars - ooliwhatsits - the trick I'm told is to make 'the food source' available only to the normal gut microflora - there in numbers, and not the pathogens, preferably not there at all.

So going back to Vic's loose droppings. Could these be down to an imbalance in gut flora - too much lactobacteria, and not enough of the other types? Perhaps caused by PrimaLac which appears to be only Lactobacteria? And in my case too, by the yoghurt - which also appears to be only Lactobacteria - over too many days?

FlightPath claims it contains the full pigeon gut microflora, although it does not list them.

Hi IB,

PrimaLac has five live bacteria and all are avian specific. If you go to http://primalac.com the university trials and studies on the product should be listed. The poultry studies are most instructive. I have heard good things about FlightPath, but I really don't know anything about it. When I learned about PrimaLac from Dr. Gord I used it. Within two days my birds had droppings like little marbles. It employs an exclusionary method. Several layers of "good" bacteria line the intestines, etc. to form a "wall" of layers of microorganisms that make it difficult for salmonella and ecoli to reach the intestine walls. That is its value, as I understand it. In addition, it makes the lower GI tract acidic, which is also hostile to ecoli and salmonella. For what it is worth.

since that someone knocked on my door,, prev post ,, in fact brought bad news of family illness , so just trying now to catch up on this thread ,,, first of all out of larries post ,, lactose [even allthough in yogurt ], will produce loose droppings  in fact its lactose that is given to humans to releive constipation , and as larry says " the sugars in yogurt can be counterproductive [i would go as far as saying ,,,would be ] if a problem with e coli exists , as these bacterias feed of the sugars"  e,coli, possibly could be secondry infection to many illnesses in pigeons , where immune system is lowered,  and this in itself causes severe problems ,

as far as the post on vets ,, rubbish in my opinion,, like all "jobs" some are good at their jobs ,, some are not ,, some in it for the money, some not ,, a good avian vet,, like a good doctor  , cares deeply and thoughtfully .

will catch up more with this thread as its very interesting indeed ,, maybe just a point for vic,,this thread will be far better on this topical posting,, as on the main board it would dissapear , very quickly with the amount of post being posted on the main board , so maybe better on "sticky" as its there for keeps ,,,as paratyphoid seems to be here for keeps  

first of all out of larries post ,, lactose [even allthough in yogurt ], will produce loose droppings  in fact its lactose that is given to humans to releive constipation , and as larry says " the sugars in yogurt can be counterproductive [i would go as far as saying ,,,would be ] if a problem with e coli exists , as these bacterias feed of the sugars"  e,coli, possibly could be secondry infection to many illnesses in pigeons , where immune system is lowered,  and this in itself causes severe problems  

Lactose is the milk sugar, the one which pigeons don't have the necessary enzyme to digest.

My understanding of yoghurt is that it is a direct product of lactobacteria action on lactose which is converted to lactic acid.

Acid being acid, this production from the conversion of lactose lowers the pH of milk (7) down yoghurt's (4/5). So in addition to the sugar food source being used up by lactobacteria, they have also created a hostile acidic environment in which e-coli and its kin bacteria, salmonella, cannot survive.

My understanding of this is : 'double jeopardy' or 'belt & braces' - even if manufacturers add sugar to natural live yoghurt (which from the label sugar content they do)  the acid environment still means that e coli, salmonella and other pathogens cannot survive to make use of those sugars.

I wonder too if those added sugars are actually added to prolong the life of the product on the shelf; there will be lactobacteria die-off in the container, but as refrigeration only slows rather than halts bacteria proliferation perhaps lactobacteria utilise these sugars to multiply in the container 'while it's still on the shelf'.

Yoghurt is therefore a milk product of benefit to pigeons.

IB, I think it is true that only partial conversion occurs in the production of yoghurt from milk. Homemade yoghurt has more of the beneficial bacteria, but for reasons of taste and palatability commercially produced products have far less helpful bacteria and far more sugars and lactose.

For our purposes a product that is avian based is probably far more effective. I know by experience that PrimaLac is.

To everybody that has followed this debate, especially Larry and IB, who lose guys like myself, on their sheer technical vocabulary ability. I do applaud them both,  for making it, perhaps, one of the most interesting threads for quite a while.  I also thank Jimmy White for his input , based  no doubt, through his vast experience on winning, (and losing) in this beautiful game of ours. May I repeat that this is a KILLER for pigeons, unless it is checked, and possibly the end of the already waning pigeon scene. I'll be back later.      

in many years of keeping and breeding pigeons , i have noted that  a lot of the  lofts that have suffered  from paratyphoid , in the past ,,,,have been using floor dressing or lime ,, can this be dis-advantages,, in the worry of contracting this dreaded desease ??  or am i just being over critical,, but noted some time ago , a very top flier loosing most of his  birds [ well over 100 ] to this desease ,used this lime floor dressing ,, but have noted more since then,  using this dressing, have cotracted the same ,,, can this be a factor by any chance?

would i be right in saying the product for humans [easily purchased from chemists] called LACTULOSE  which is the treatment for constipation   is   is a product derived from LACTOSE ??

You are taking me a bit beyond the boundaries of what I know, Jimmy.  :) It's to do with Chemistry, and you are the acknowledged Professor there.  :)

Web says you are quite correct, Lactulose is derived from Lactose, and the chemical process produces a change in the sugar.

Lactose consists of two simple sugars Fructose and Galactose. All foodstuffs have to be reduced to its simplest state before the body can absorb it.

Appears Lactulose is these simple sugars but rather than being digested, because they have been chemically altered they remain in the gut and draw water from the body into the gut  which loosens up the stiff stuff and gets things on the move again.  :)  

Mentioned previously animals require an enzyme to digest Lactose. The enzyme is Lactase which also splits Lactose into its simplest form, Fructose and Galactose. These simple sugars are chemically unaltered, and both are absorbed by the body.

As I said before, pigeons don't have Lactase therefore they cannot split lactose into the two simple sugars. That is the techy explanation why the milk sugar cannot be of any use to the pigeon.

With regards to Jimmys views floor dresings of any kind will not eradicate the problem.With over 4878 views we have a serious problem and i would refer you back to my previous post 84.I brought up the issue last year at a function and they thought i was daft.This year i tryed to educate but to no avail same guys who know everthing but common sense prevailed. :( :( :(

in many years of keeping and breeding pigeons , i have noted that  a lot of the  lofts that have suffered  from paratyphoid , in the past ,,,,have been using floor dressing or lime ,, can this be dis-advantages,, in the worry of contracting this dreaded desease ??  or am i just being over critical,, but noted some time ago , a very top flier loosing most of his  birds [ well over 100 ] to this desease ,used this lime floor dressing ,, but have noted more since then,  using this dressing, have cotracted the same ,,, can this be a factor by any chance?

I think it is one of trade-off Jimmy.  :) This thread has mentioned that pathogenic bacteria flourish in alkaline conditions, and die in acidic conditions. Lime (calcium carbonate) is an alkiline.

But as usual, might not be that simple. This and other threads mention dry conditions kills most pathogens, wet patches and they flourish.

I have used lime in the past as part of deep litter system to dry-out the droppings. As soon as the moisture is gone, the organism is gone too. Doesn't matter what it is, everything needs water to live.

Think Roland and others have also advocated putting lime in drinking water?