Advise

Surrey Flyer

Hi all,

I have a team of 24 yearling cocks which will all fly on widowhood.

They are paired to their hens at the moment all sitting eggs.

Today i decided to let the cocks out, 12 are back with their hens, the other twelve are on the roof and wont come down for love nor money, they obviously are not hungry.

I must add that this is the first time they have been out since racing and are now in a different loft (widowhood loft not YB)

Will they come down when they are hungry?

Will the hens sit on the eggs on their own?

Have i knackered my team by letting them out?

Will they be ok if they stay out tonight?

Thanks, just panicking

Bob

Hi Bob,

dont worry mate they will be ok, they just enjoying thier freedom

obviously the home environment has changed since they were last out, with hindsight you may have been better letting the cocks out when driving (more incentive to get back in the loft when chasing hen)

But they will be ok, hens will continously sit overnight if worse comes to worst and some do stay out

are you trapping through open door or traps?

Guest strapper
Hi all,

I have a team of 24 yearling cocks which will all fly on widowhood.

They are paired to their hens at the moment all sitting eggs.

Today i decided to let the cocks out, 12 are back with their hens, the other twelve are on the roof and wont come down for love nor money, they obviously are not hungry.

I must add that this is the first time they have been out since racing and are now in a different loft (widowhood loft not YB)

Will they come down when they are hungry?

Will the hens sit on the eggs on their own?

Have i knackered my team by letting them out?

Will they be ok if they stay out tonight?

Thanks, just panicking

Bob

as stated b4 normal , nothing to worry about,some of mine were the same, now after 2-3 weeks being out 3-4 days a week they have gone back to normal.

You are overfeeding those birds. They should not look at the house never mind land on it. There is no need to feed heavy while they are sitting. Leave them go without feed for a day and then get them onto a more of a ration. Say an ounce per day until they hatch. Then feed to appetite. You do not have to leave food in front of them even after they have hatched. That will come later if you decide to let the cocks finish off the YBs. I move the YBs and the hens out when the young are about 14/15 days old. That way the cocks do not get like porky pigs. If they are over weight now, and they probably are, you will have a lot of work later to get them down to racing weight. Sorry to be so blunt but sometimes things can only be said straight from the shoulder.

hi if thay was mine i would lock them out till tomoro evening play them at there own game for a while then try to get them in.

hens will be fine if u lock them up in there boxes keeping them quite ,this means no lose birds in the section to disturb them,

remember your the master not your cocks let them get off lighty and the chances are thay wont trap on racedays.

im same as you mate all yearlings i moved mine from the yb loft in sept last year

in to the old bird loft , but i had mine out a couple of time before i paired them up

but i kept them short of food i  had about 3 or 4 mess about now there ok and there trapping

through a stall trap now it,s all new to them dont worry there,s plenty of time .

im same as you mate all yearlings i moved mine from the yb loft in sept last year

in to the old bird loft , but i had mine out a couple of time before i paired them up

but i kept them short of food i  had about 3 or 4 mess about now there ok and there trapping

through a stall trap now it,s all new to them dont worry there,s plenty of time .