1oz of food per day ?

Guest cosmic dave

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was ready BHW yesterday and I saw an article about feeding. apparently 1 oz of food per bird per day is the correct amount to give ??

not enough mate, tried it, birds wont exercise, better adding some barley to your mix and feed till they start to leave the barley

I remember doing that with widowhood cocks. It was a disaster. I reckon that a lot of the peole who come up with these rules are either nutters or they have never raced pigeons sucessfully in their lives. Why would anybody want to keep birds on a ration that would garantee that they were underfed and would not want to exercise. I would do it with youngsters for a brief period to get their attention while I was teaching them the rules of the loft. But not with older birds because by the time they get to be adults I would expect them to understand what I want from them. If I want to reduce their wieght I would certainly not resort to this method. And if I want to encourage them to trap there are better ways than this. What tripe.

Guest lee duffy

me personaly i would never under feed birds its all about building them up at the sart of the week on a mix and barley coming to friday to take the weight of them.you can feed them as much barley as you want and they will never put on weight

regards lee

taylors loft is right. Underfed birds will not fly at exercise and birds that do not exercise are a pain in the arm. I know of people who have to spend good money on fuel to try to get their birds fit because they will not fly at home. And my own pet hate is to see birds flying in ever decreasing circles around the home loft.

Feeding must not be something that causes birds to be lacking in energy and enthusiasm to fly. Besides, I would find it boring to have to watch the ever decreasing circle type of loft exercise. On the other hand, I would never be able to put up with a bunch of birds that spent time on the roof. Some do, but I definately could not. So there is a balance to be struck and a technique to be learned to get these things right. And feeding and the way of feeding is a big part of all this.

me personaly i would never under feed birds its all about building them up at the sart of the week on a mix and barley coming to friday to take the weight of them.you can feed them as much barley as you want and they will never put on weight

regards lee

thought it would be other way round mate, barley begining of week building up mix as week goes on, jmo but all roads lead to rome

taylors loft is right. Underfed birds will not fly at exercise and birds that do not exercise are a pain in the arm. I know of people who have to spend good money on fuel to try to get their birds fit because they will not fly at home. And my own pet hate is to see birds flying in ever decreasing circles around the home loft.

Feeding must not be something that causes birds to be lacking in energy and enthusiasm to fly. Besides, I would find it boring to have to watch the ever decreasing circle type of loft exercise. On the other hand, I would never be able to put up with a bunch of birds that spent time on the roof. Some do, but I definately could not. So there is a balance to be struck and a technique to be learned to get these things right. And feeding and the way of feeding is a big part of all this.

I've clocked birds from 582 miles and only up the food 10 days before they were sent  ;) some days they don't eat there 1oz  at this time of year i should probably cut the food down to three quarters of an oz  ;)

Guest TAMMY_1

Probably the most important part .

my bird have been on 1 0z and 1/4 when ive had them training they have been on 1oz and 1/2 way i be building them up 1 0z 1/4 monday,tuesday,wednesday,thursady 1 0z and 1/2 friday as much as they wont with added tit bits homoform peanuts wonce they arrive back from race saturday they will have electrolights waiting for them in there water fountains and they will go on a breakdown mix then they will have pigeon tea then start back to the same rutein my birds when they go out for exercise will fly more or less the full 1hr in morning and more or less the same later on me or the misses has never had to flag our birds.somethink i dont wont to start doing  

all the best.

k.baker

Copy of  a previous post on hopper feeding,

Controlled feeding is what all fanciers should try to achieve.

As an average an ounce each bird per day should be the aim, if working hard up the ante, if resting hold back a bit. And always feed the best quality.

A clue is if old birds spread their wings at feed time like young birds when hungry you are not feeding enough.

Observation is the key, hens leaving the nest more than once at feeding time is an indication of not enough.

It depends how many times a day you feed and how the birds react.

Fat pigeons are not tame pigeons looking to meet you as you reach the loft they are the ones that stay on the perches excreting cash.

Mine are ready for their food when fed once or twice a day racing and breeding and when rearing young. No fret marks either.

Copy of  a previous post on hopper feeding,

Controlled feeding is what all fanciers should try to achieve.

As an average an ounce each bird per day should be the aim, if working hard up the ante, if resting hold back a bit. And always feed the best quality.

A clue is if old birds spread their wings at feed time like young birds when hungry you are not feeding enough.

Observation is the key, hens leaving the nest more than once at feeding time is an indication of not enough.

It depends how many times a day you feed and how the birds react.

Fat pigeons are not tame pigeons looking to meet you as you reach the loft they are the ones that stay on the perches excreting cash.

Mine are ready for their food when fed once or twice a day racing and breeding and when rearing young. No fret marks either.

hopper feeding imo is corn at them all the imo of course the'll gorge them selves but once they settle down they eat when they hungry they exerciise readily and are always available 4 training thats on roundabout