Small youngsters

We bought two pairs of birds for stock - although the cocks are 08 - the hens are 09 - and possibly latebreds at that. One of the hens laid 2 quite small eggs, but they have hatched out - the youngsters were very tiny and at a week old tomorrow - I daresay it will be another week before they will be big enough to ring. I might add that it is highly likely that the hen was egg bound for a few days - as she laid both eggs the same day - and they hatched only 2 weeks (14 days ) after being laid - though the eggs were clean. The other pairs first eggs were clear. The youngsters are healthy looking - but still look about 2 or 3 days old as they were so small to start with - are they worth persevering with do you think?

Sounds like these eggs began incubating while still inside the hen. Think it was Zolt? (co-author of 'vets tips for pigeon fanciers') that had a case of this, the  autopsy pics (gruesome) were on his website.

If they are normal, thriving youngsters, honestly see no reason to worry about their size.

I am sorry, but if you are trying to breed racing pigeons, these youngsters are unlikely to be any good. It is not easy to win pigeon races and only the best of pigeons can do it. Birds that are weak and underdeveloped will have very little chance of achieving anything. On the other hand, it is sometimes nice to just enjoy looking after birds. And it is not always neccessary to want to win. So I would say that, if you want to be a top flyer, you will need to get rid of weaklings. If you want to enjoy keeping pigeons then there is no reason why you can not enjoy these little chaps.

Guest ROCKYandRAMBO

id put them in the bin , if there weak now they will only cause you more trouble in the end and it costs the same to feed a bad pigeon as it does a gd one

Guest mick bowler

It all depends on yourself IMO. You have to be happy with the birds you have. I never keep any bird i have doubts over, especially YBs, i want to walk in the loft and enjoy the experience and not be looking at the negatives, and experience has taught me these sames ones, 9 from 10 times, will fail at what they are there to do..

Guest mick bowler

JUst give them a go, see how they come out. I dont really ever go by how old they are, as have found different birds and families have different growth rates, but i do not like "retarded" babies and thats the ones that are sprouting feathers when undersized, they look odd, with their "bulging eyes too.

Guest j.bamling

They look Fine susan

funny things can happen with breeding from latebreds

If it was me i would let them grow & see what the feathering is like that will tell you more but they look ok to me

Guest j.bamling

Looking at the first pic 7 days old they will want ringing tomorrow so 8 days is normal for some familys of pigeons i have some myself what need to be ringed at this age i also have some what need to be ringed 2 days earlier than this but the parents of these

have legs like david beckham  ;D ;D

Guest lvlasked

a bit harsh to call a undersized doo a "Retarded" would you like it if your chil was Retarded Every Living Person Or Animal in the world as the right to live on earth

Auto-suggestion in some minds linking small with weak and sickly. These birds aren't said to be either weak or sickly. They are said to be small, they have still to come to 'the second big spurt' phase, and small pigeons are as good as any other.

Susan, now that I have seen your birds, they look to be fine. The time to worry is when they are constantly squeaking for food. Or if their crops are empty and they are squirting liquid droppings everywhere.

I think I would give them a chance, if they appear to be contented. If you have had this family of birds for some time, you ought to be able to see a patern in there rate of growth. My own birds grow quite fast and I have to ring them at 6 days. But I am used to it and I am prepared most of the time. I have to confess that I have a pot of Vasoline in the shed, in case I am a bit slow. If you want some tips on feeding babies, pm me and I will tell you how to speed their growth rate up.

Best of luck

Owen