The Madness Of Yb Training

dunc50

Not seen any batches of youngsters yet, is anyone started if so what has your returns been like and if you have been skelped where and rough times you got hit, ?

ive been out about a dozen times so far,no more that 15 mls and never putting the birds up all together.on thursday eve i was putting them up in twos when a female percy latched on to a pair.one bird peeled off and the percy very slowly gained on the yb.at the very last sec the yb dived and pecy was quicker going below the doo and trying to keep it up,but missed.i went home and three hours later the yb appeared with a small gash on his back.i only ever put the birds up in little batches now so if im hit the damage is limited.on a straight line the bop aint that much quicker than a doo and cant keep up the chase for long time.it needs the height to stoop on the birds thats why when this happens a batch of ybs can scatter all over in the panic

Never trained them. Especially in later years. went back to what the vast majority did prior, and with very much success and results. styraighty into races. Provided they had roamed and were flying stil .... especially with zest. Short up and down clapping.

No need to waste time and money. they know exactly where they are after ranging decades of miles around their loft - 60 or more miles. Hours away. What, just what does one think thay are adding? teaching?

As long as loft fit, races will bring out the best, and those that have love for home.

Gosh, back in the 50's / sixties and more they hardly ever saw a train ... unless being sent back. Mind British Rail did us fanciers proud.

Edited by Roland

Never trained them. Especially in later years. went back to what the vast majority did prior, and with very much success and results. styraighty into races. Provided they had roamed and were flying stil .... especially with zest. Short up and down clapping.

No need to waste time and money. they know exactly where they are after ranging decades of miles around their loft - 60 or more miles. Hours away. What, just what does one think thay are adding? teaching?

As long as loft fit, races will bring out the best, and those that have love for home.

Gosh, back in the 50's / sixties and more they hardly ever saw a train ... unless being sent back. Mind British Rail did us fanciers proud.

Interesting so no yb tosses?

Can you tell us about some of your results with racing pigeons please?

First Off

DelBoy also tried this one season and was - I believe 99% happy. But of course, I will let him answer that if he will or feels like it.

Well, in the '80s, when starting up for myself, I started racing broken old birds. Another story. No transport, or money lol. Having a few kids like. Any I joined a North Rd Club and a South road club. Never tossed, but they did me immensely proud. Was a winner once and nearly always in the top ten. A couple of Club men complained that their birds showed mine the way home, and I was getting a cheap ride.

But it could explain why mine were often up to 10 minutes home before theirs! I said tongue in cheek that they must have stayed and made sure mine trapped before leaving.

Now back to 2006, due to ill health and working all over the place as an entertainer, I soon found the excellent excuses why those that promised to take my birds to the clock station NEVER did...

Also, getting back at 3- to 4 in the mornings, packing my kit away etc. I didn't wake to clock early timers, that's for sure. So I concentrated more on just the old bird races.

Did well.

So back to the fact. I just placed the birds in races. Sometimes never bothering to time them in. However, twice they would have taken up to 22 then 23 first home if clocked. I- to pee a few off, I timed 5 in. The first place, then the following season, first race again, 4 first place... one disqualified.... it was mine, lol. I didn't race y/b's from 2008 onwards. Left to own devices, I know many will be finding it hard to even take on board, but even when I took the club birds for a training toss, I never sent mine even. A. Couldn't be Ar**ed to basket them. Never felt that there was a need to. I wanted mine to be fresh and full of zest.

For the last three years, I only sent yearlings upwards. Yearling first time in a basket between 150 - 200 mile races! Won one but was always in the top six but once. But well packed. Losses were very few... losing most of the loft's top, those not wanting to be in this luxury hotel I provided had gone elsewhere well before. Saved feeding and whatnot.

In 2007 I sent 11 old birds first time in the basket that season to Thurso. 470 miles. Yes! They were very loft fit on open holes.

I took 14 in one club. Only one other fancier had a day bird. Was 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th in another club. 2nd fed up about ninth.

Now one season, they were trained via feeding only like Ricky Mardis' system. They did well. 'Let out only on the weekend Saturday or when in a race.

This was very good and easy.

So, like the 'Good old days, pigeons weren't tossed- or seldom and trained in races for a particular race. Berwick for Lerwick, for instance. A good wing opener and a fortnights rest etc.

So, in a nutshell, I began to have a lot of proven Racers to breed from.

Gary Edmunds was the best pigeon fancier I've ever known. His uncle and family were or had been into pigeons. Gary's dad wasn't a good flyer, to say the least, often the brunt of a joke.

Gary seethed inwardly. So many years later, he joined three clubs.

Devasted them and the fed.

His birds, as a youngster, were given a 20-mile toss and then a 50-mile toss.

He said, 'If they can't do 20 miles, best they were not there. If they can do 20 miles, then 50 is nothing to them. If they do 50 miles, then they can do anywhere. He proved that every year! They weren't trained ever as old birds ... unless for some reason hadn't been before and raced.

He used to tell the old boys who to put their money on to pool.

Barry - his uncle - would take him and the birds to open races all over the place. Barry pooled and won most times.

Gary was too tight.

Used his moped to take them two trainers... two baskets on the back tied down. Was cheaper than his car.

He sold his birds for a small fortune when taking up fishing. His son represented England at every level and every age, at every fishing contest from Course, Fly or Sea, etc. I don't think Gary was as good by a long chalk but loved to share the time with his son. Their freezers were always full of fish to sell at a reasonable price.

Of course B.O.P. Hamper many lofts. So i would race the Ricky Mardis system if active today. Only out on a Saturday, or in a race.