Returning To The Sport After 3 Years Away

Guest welshman

Guest welshman

hello.i am returning to the sport after a three year break.in the past i found that raising a young family (six children) and work left me with very little time for my birds so i decided the time had come for them to go.i gave the birds away,got rid of my lofts and that was that.its true what they say that once its in your blood you will never give them up altogether.now that the kids are older,i am now self employed and a lot more time is available,i have decided to start back up from scratch.the first thing that needs to be done is to build a loft,i was thinking of a 12x6 two sectioned type loft as this time i want to keep it small and simple.one thing that i believe was wrong last time was ventilation.what would be the correct way to ventilate a loft as this will need to be incorporated as its being built.your advice is appreciated.paul

hello.i am returning to the sport after a three year break.in the past i found that raising a young family (six children) and work left me with very little time for my birds so i decided the time had come for them to go.i gave the birds away,got rid of my lofts and that was that.its true what they say that once its in your blood you will never give them up altogether.now that the kids are older,i am now self employed and a lot more time is available,i have decided to start back up from scratch.the first thing that needs to be done is to build a loft,i was thinking of a 12x6 two sectioned type loft as this time i want to keep it small and simple.one thing that i believe was wrong last time was ventilation.what would be the correct way to ventilate a loft as this will need to be incorporated as its being built.your advice is appreciated.paul

croeso butty . look at the top winning loft where you are , and copy it .good luck for the coming season .

My dad showed me a way of testing your ventilation with smoke bombs that you can buy from any plumbers merchants and it's by having moveable vents top and bottom then set one off and tweek your vents to get a good circulation coming in at the bottom and moving through the whole section before leaving at the top it takes a bit of time to get it right but it works for me Hope this helps mate welcome back

Welcome back to the doos

Ventilation on a pent roof at least 12 inch overhang front and back say it is constructed with 2x2 or 3x2

Cover underside of projections with 1/2 x 1/2 galv mesh and that is all that is required

And one wee extra the best birds available on a system

Good luck

Guest welshman

My dad showed me a way of testing your ventilation with smoke bombs that you can buy from any plumbers merchants and it's by having moveable vents top and bottom then set one off and tweek your vents to get a good circulation coming in at the bottom and moving through the whole section before leaving at the top it takes a bit of time to get it right but it works for me Hope this helps mate welcome back

in my old loft i had two vents in the front at the bottom and two vents at the top on the back wall but i found that there was little circulation of air.the vents were not adjustable just grilles with holes drilled in the wood panels behind them.do you think louvres would be better.

in my old loft i had two vents in the front at the bottom and two vents at the top on the back wall but i found that there was little circulation of air.the vents were not adjustable just grilles with holes drilled in the wood panels behind them.do you think louvres would be better.

I have a large adjustable louvre vent in the front of my loft off and industrial ventilation system that I picked up off a site I was working on which lets me control the air flow in my loft depending on the daily humidity I have a tile pitched roof but it's blocked off with half inch wide mesh this lets me open up or restrict air flow depending on the humidity which I monitor in the loft with a basic sensor you can get off the net and I try to keep it the same inside the loft as outside this together with a good air flow/ air change per hour I think helps keep the birds healthy