Compartment Size

Parker

I did warn you all I would have lots of questions lol :emoticon-0138-thinking:

I was thinking for the new loft 4 compartments would be the ideal ? , all feed etc could easily be kept in my internal garage that is totally rodent proof and always bone dry, also thought any feed could be stored in metal dustbins with lids for easy access.

Finally, my question the smallest a compartment could be and largest in length not forgetting depth.

Parker

The smaller the section the more tamer & calmer they'll be. IMO 6x5 sections for young birds are ideal.

I was thinking along those lines , some larger some smaller.

Is the ideal 4 sections ? otherwise how can you separate the birds if only two etc young birds , also I quite like late breds as you can get good bargains but I remember from years ago to keep them separate and treat as YB a older guy told me.

I do have a ideal spot but it has more depth than width which may be a problem ?

Parker

is it they get a bit flighty and you end up chasing around if you need to get hold of it ?

Yes m8 they become tame very easy my old loft had a corridor in wich I did not like so when I had a new loft last December all my sections was 6x6 and no corridor that way every time I go in the loft I am in a small space with my pigeons not just looking at them through bars

I was thinking along those lines , some larger some smaller.

Is the ideal 4 sections ? otherwise how can you separate the birds if only two etc young birds , also I quite like late breds as you can get good bargains but I remember from years ago to keep them separate and treat as YB a older guy told me.

I do have a ideal spot but it has more depth than width which may be a problem ?

Parker

Can you expand on more depth than width? A drawing or photo may help

Can you expand on more depth than width? A drawing or photo may help

not that I have measured up yet but the front will be at least 12 feet in length but the depth running from front to the back of the loft would and could be easily 24 feet if I wanted thats why I was asking about compartment size , if a long but narrow compartment would be ok for the birds and for me , I would make sure plenty of air coming in as I realise how important this, also nest boxes facing each other does this stress the cocks up to fight etc if paired up

Hope that makes sense ?

P

not that I have measured up yet but the front will be at least 12 feet in length but the depth running from front to the back of the loft would and could be easily 24 feet if I wanted thats why I was asking about compartment size , if a long but narrow compartment would be ok for the birds and for me , I would make sure plenty of air coming in as I realise how important this, also nest boxes facing each other does this stress the cocks up to fight etc if paired up

Hope that makes sense ?

P

Why don't you make the front of your loft 24 feet and depth 6 feet. If future extension was required it could back onto existing loft and thus your 12 foot 'length' would be taken up, but as a width, whereas your 24 foot 'width' would be your length.

24 x 6 foot loft would give you four 6 x 6 foot sections. :)

• 1 month later...