Help Colour Breeding

white logan

o.k this has probably been asked before but here we go

I have two chocolate muleman hens and no cock birds so to breed red/chocolate young what colours could I pair to do this ? what would happen if I paired a white cock bird to them ?

also I have two red grizzle cocks and two white grizzle hens which I think are blue based so pairing those birds together should give me lighter red grizzles ? :emoticon-0138-thinking:

thanks for reading

I have two chocolate muleman hens and no cock birds so to breed red/chocolate young what colours could I pair to do this ? what would happen if I paired a white cock bird to them ?

also I have two red grizzle cocks and two white grizzle hens which I think are blue based so pairing those birds together should give me lighter red grizzles ? :emoticon-0138-thinking:

thanks for reading

Better get yourself a cup of tea :emoticon-0136-giggle: .

. :animatedpigeons:

The two hens you have are recessive red. You need to get hold of cockbirds the same colour or cockbirds bred from birds the same colour to breed more as its recessive.

you will only breed choclates if both carry the recessive choco colour.

I have been told pairing red to blue grizzle has the benefit of breeding nearly white birds but not all of them. MJB

Pairing two typical heterozygous grizzles together will breed homozygous grizzles yes, they will be almost white with coloured tips usually on the flights and tails.

The two hens you have are recessive red. You need to get hold of cockbirds the same colour or cockbirds bred from birds the same colour to breed more as its recessive.

Pairing two typical heterozygous grizzles together will breed homozygous grizzles yes, they will be almost white with coloured tips usually on the flights and tails.

wrong time of year I bet :D seems like the cock birds are more desirable

Resessive Red or Chocs breed well onto a Bronze bar or Chq, putting Grizzle into it is mixing it up a bit.

Having bred a res red or Choc out of 2 deep bronze birds this year with perfect colour was a first for me this year, if your looking for a Bronze cock I have some spare.

Both are Janssen Van Den Bosche, one is a Bronze bar the other a Bronze Chq, the Bronze bar has a split colour eye the Chq has outstanding feather but in my view looks a little fine in the head for a cock.

They are free if you want them, my home is in Ipswich, East Anglia.

After April there will be some others if you are able to wait a little.

If want red or chocolate young pair to a red , chocolate is recessive red blue is dominant so if paired to blues most be blue unless carried recessive ;) add grizzle to the mix you'd get either blue or chocolate grizzles

thanks for reading

'White logan' If your stuck and cant get your hands on rec-red cocks ,or cocks that carry rec-red you can make your own .

If you mate your two recessive red hens [choco meulemans] to say blue bar or blue cheq cocks or whatever colour you have , all the youngsters from these matings will be split/carry the recessive red gene ,no matter what colour these youngsters are they will be all split/carry the recessive red gene , So then you take the cock youngsters and breed them back to the rec red parent .

50 percent of the youngsters will be recessive red from these matings , so simple enough to do .

P.S ... As rolldown has already said ,You will not breed more chocos by mating your hens to a grizzel ,unless of course the grizzel is Split/carrying the rec- red gene .