How Many Chicks

Hi all,

I've not been on for a while because of work but ended in a situation where I've placed the only representatives of a strain in the for of eggs under an equally good pair with their own eggs.unfortunately there are no other birds whose eggs will hatch at the same time as the floated pair.now I have a puzzled looking hen with four hatchling chicks .is this too many. Will she cope.i hope so as all four should be good birds.has anyone got any info on the situation?

Kind regards far north flyer

Hi all,

I've not been on for a while because of work but ended in a situation where I've placed the only representatives of a strain in the for of eggs under an equally good pair with their own eggs.unfortunately there are no other birds whose eggs will hatch at the same time as the floated pair.now I have a puzzled looking hen with four hatchling chicks .is this too many. Will she cope.i hope so as all four should be good birds.has anyone got any info on the situation?

Kind regards far north flyer

If the eggs are very special can you not get a club mate to put them under something and maybe let him have one of the youngsters?

Second worst solution would be to get rid of the two smallest looking chicks.

Worst solution would be to leave four under the hen and end up with four very poor youngsters.

I know it's not the answer your are looking for, has anyone else got a better one?

If you have other pairs sitting on eggs around 12 day or more, slip a pair of Ybs under them and they should have enough milk in their crop to feed them until they start feeding grains.

I've got birds due to hatch in about 5 days but their chicks will be the first of the year too.im hoping they rear them as they are older birds that have both reared chicks before

its to many m8 they will struggle with three never mined four but if you can keep them alive for 3 or 4 days by taking out the ones that have a full crop of milk then put them back when the others are full then you can slip two under another pair because the pair will keep feeding the biggest ones first and the others get weeker and smaller you can help them by feeding pellets its softer and when they run out of pigeon milk they will try to feed hard grain which the youngbirds struggle to digest hope this helps

its to many m8 they will struggle with three never mined four but if you can keep them alive for 3 or 4 days by taking out the ones that have a full crop of milk then put them back when the others are full then you can slip two under another pair because the pair will keep feeding the biggest ones first and the others get weeker and smaller you can help them by feeding pellets its softer and when they run out of pigeon milk they will try to feed hard grain which the youngbirds struggle to digest hope this helps

Good sound advice as usual Walter :animatedpigeons:

Thanks all for the advice.ill keep my eye for the next couple of days and try to float them out to another fancier.