Name The Pigeon

Rooster J. Cogburn

airborne1 has it :emoticon-0157-sun:

a special pigeon right enough

1st INFC King Cup-N.Black and sons

One of the best loft visit's I've ever been on, a nice family with a magnificent team of pigeons. I view Davie as one of the greatest stockmen I'll ever meet.

The greatest Kings Cup loft in the history of the INFC.

What interested me initially was a self penned article from 1960 by the McCartney Bros of Moira(the year after they won the INFC King's Cup). They described the type of pigeon that would win from France into Northern Ireland as 'short' and 'corky'. I've visited three INFC Kings Cup winners in the last five years and have to say the description by these men over half a century ago, still holds true.

Davie and his family came to our loft in April this year, it was an honour-like some sort of filmstar coming to yer place :emoticon-0136-giggle: He said our birds looked 'very well'. It'll be the last time the bugger comes round these parts. He's a curse :emoticon-0140-rofl: , it's one of the worst seasons we've ever had :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Delboy has it tae :emoticon-0157-sun:

Top pigeons indeed, I thought it was Drumiller hill lad not Drummer hill lad, I stand corrected. :emoticon-0167-beer:

You are correct Derek, he was called Drumiller Hill Lad

his grandchildren have won in the INFC,UNC and SNFC, A super doo.

The story surrounding his victory is a cracker

The Black's had taken numerous top 10 positions in the three years previous to the outright win. On the day of the King's Cup they received a phone call from a man of god :emoticon-0136-giggle: , a clairvoyant pigeon fancier from Dublin who told them they would win the King's cup that day. He wanted to come and watch and seeing as the Blacks usually have between 20 and 30 people at their loft on King's Cup night they obliged(albeit they thought he was a bit of a mentalist :emoticon-0136-giggle: ). The pigeon was timed at quarter to 8 and the man left within minutes of it's timing, saying he had seen something he had never seen before and that was a King's Cup winner :emoticon-0140-rofl: They hadn't met the man before that day, nor has he been in contact since :emoticon-0136-giggle: It's some country so it is lol

You are correct Derek, he was called Drumiller Hill Lad

his grandchildren have won in the INFC,UNC and SNFC, A super doo.

The story surrounding his victory is a cracker

The Black's had taken numerous top 10 positions in the three years previous to the outright win. On the day of the King's Cup they received a phone call from a man of god :emoticon-0136-giggle: , a clairvoyant pigeon fancier from Dublin who told them they would win the King's cup that day. He wanted to come and watch and seeing as the Blacks usually have between 20 and 30 people at their loft on King's Cup night they obliged(albeit they thought he was a bit of a mentalist :emoticon-0136-giggle: ). The pigeon was timed at quarter to 8 and the man left within minutes of it's timing, saying he had seen something he had never seen before and that was a King's Cup winner :emoticon-0140-rofl: They hadn't met the man before that day, nor has he been in contact since :emoticon-0136-giggle: It's some country so it is lol

I know a guy from Motherwell who visited Black that night and he had just arrived the blue cock appeared to win the national.He told me he was buzzing seeing it coming.

I know a guy from Motherwell who visited Black that night and he had just arrived the blue cock appeared to win the national.He told me he was buzzing seeing it coming.

Aye it would be some feeling seeing a national winner

they got another one that night about three quarters of and hour later that was 8th Open

I bought a youngster, Blue w/f cock direct from him in 1998, he was a cracking type of bird.

I've handled a lot of his children and grandchildren the times I have been over. A great line of pigeons, both the Gold Medal winner and the cock that was 8th and 5th Open are his grandsons.

There was another bird with him that flew on. It was for this reason that Davie thought they maybe wouldn't have won the race.

I've handled a lot of his children and grandchildren the times I have been over. A great line of pigeons, both the Gold Medal winner and the cock that was 8th and 5th Open are his grandsons.

It's a great line of distance pigeons and the Blacks have clocked many birds in the top 10 of the Kings Cup race. :emoticon-0137-clapping::emoticon-0137-clapping:

here is a photo of the bird they view as the 'sire of the loft',a son of George Casement's 'Top of the Box'. There was a good wee write up on George Casement in the BHW last year, one of the good old Belfast fanciers :emoticon-0137-clapping:

The other photo is the '99 hen' dam to 1st, 7th and 8th INFC Kings Cup. We could all do wi a pigeon like her :emoticon-0136-giggle:

post-10992-13865267311979_thumb.jpg

post-10992-13865267933927_thumb.jpg

here is a photo of the bird they view as the 'sire of the loft',a son of George Casement's 'Top of the Box'. There was a good wee write up on George Casement in the BHW last year, one of the good old Belfast fanciers :emoticon-0137-clapping:

The other photo is the '99 hen' dam to 1st, 7th and 8th INFC Kings Cup. We could all do wi a pigeon like her :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Was there not a cross of Russell Brothers, Dromore in their pigeons also ?

Was there not a cross of Russell Brothers, Dromore in their pigeons also ?

Yip as well as doos from John McMullan, Joe Cromie and Jim Moreland. I've had a wee bit of luck with some stuff down through their 'Red Mick' line. He was bred by the top Banbridge fancier Mick Conlon. They also won the cock that went on to win the Hall of Fame award in a raffle :emoticon-0136-giggle: . I like the 'Pinehill Lass' they have introduced recently as well.

Pinehill Lass is Davie's father in law, Harry Silcock's, hall of fame winner. She is a granddaughter of the Kings Cup winner also.