Newcomer

Hello.

We (my son & I) have just set out on our new hobby together and have invested in a group of fancy pigeons (Taganrogs). We have spent the week building a new loft for them, 16ft by 8ft split into two. My wife has converted bookcase with home made nest fronts for one side and V perches for the young birds on the other.

If the photos work you will see them in their new home this evening. We are still making a few more nest box fronts and they should be ready this week.

We need any help and advice anyone chooses to supply on keeping them and on the breed itself.

However as a first off, can you say if we have done the right thing with the boxes and perches. The older birds seem very at home in their boxes, but as can be seen on the photos, the young birds have all taken to the floor rather than the V perches? Have we done something wrong.

Any suggestions on our new venture.

Kind regards

Rob

post-30645-13859291941448_thumb.jpg

post-30645-13859292099735_thumb.jpg

Hello.

We (my son & I) have just set out on our new hobby together and have invested in a group of fancy pigeons (Taganrogs). We have spent the week building a new loft for them, 16ft by 8ft split into two. My wife has converted bookcase with home made nest fronts for one side and V perches for the young birds on the other.

If the photos work you will see them in their new home this evening. We are still making a few more nest box fronts and they should be ready this week.

We need any help and advice anyone chooses to supply on keeping them and on the breed itself.

However as a first off, can you say if we have done the right thing with the boxes and perches. The older birds seem very at home in their boxes, but as can be seen on the photos, the young birds have all taken to the floor rather than the V perches? Have we done something wrong.

Kind regards

Rob

looks fine they will take 2 them in time

Hello.

Kind regards

Rob

Hi, Your perches are ok but you could do with more of them, aim for more perches than birds, as for them not using them, give them time and they will eventually start using them. (these are fancy breed birds so I'm not sure if there mannerisms are the same as racing pigeons?)

Good luck with them.

don,t know much about the breed .as for the set up it look fine and will work out well. as for feeding i think a best all round mix would do them with clean dry grit and clean water daily.also make sure plenty air goes through loft with air vents frount and back.also make sure air vents let air in not vermin.

Wow,

Thank you for the speedy welcome and advice. There are about 12 young birds and 18 perches, so now I will wait a few days to see as suggested.

I don't want to get it wrong and let down the birds or disappoint the new pigeon fancier - its keeping him away from the computer!

Thank you.