First Toss For Y/bs (Not Good)

pigeonchested

Took y/bs to the usual spot for their first toss (3 miles) let 56 go about 6:30p.m. about 20 came together with a perigrine chasing them right to the loft expletive remove, they came in ones and twos after that, we are waiting on 22 this morning.

It would make you wonder if its worth all the effort now, in this part of the country its getting almost impossible to train pigeons,it doesn't matter where or when you go you are getting hit on every toss, and I can only see it getting worse.

First toss for me yesterday as well. 1 / 5 batch 1, 4 / 4 batch 2 and 3.

3 arrived later on, so batch 1 was 1 down last night. It was here this morning with 2 others which eventually cleared.

I thought they had mixed with another batch of trainers, but perhaps that as well as BOP.

First toss for me yesterday as well. 1 / 5 batch 1, 4 / 4 batch 2 and 3.

3 arrived later on, so batch 1 was 1 down last night. It was here this morning with 2 others which eventually cleared.

I thought they had mixed with another batch of trainers, but perhaps that as well as BOP.

The hawk situation is definately getting worse, dont know what the answer is?

Took y/bs to the usual spot for their first toss (3 miles) let 56 go about 6:30p.m. about 20 came together with a perigrine chasing them right to the loft expletive remove, they came in ones and twos after that, we are waiting on 22 this morning.

It would make you wonder if its worth all the effort now, in this part of the country its getting almost impossible to train pigeons,it doesn't matter where or when you go you are getting hit on every toss, and I can only see it getting worse.

may i ask why u train at 3 miles? surely they range further?

i liberated at Dalrymple right on top of a hill its a great lib point and weve libbed there for the last 20 years with no probs I made sure they were ready for a feed and they had flown round the loft in the morning for over an hour, weve got another 9 back this morning so fingers crossed.

I libbed at Barrhead, only 6 miles, but hopefully puts them up the correct valley. Once I think they have it they go straight out to 20 miles. They don't range where I live. I am so high up, I can see for about 50 miles south and north, so who knows what they see. They do disappear, but never for long.

yes they probably could have been taken further as they are flying for over an hour twice a day and ranging well. Its maybe something to think about, mibee take them further next time.

Brian the area you live in is absolutely polluted. I trained from there for years from the Cattle Market on the hill and from Minishant. Last time I went there I lost 5 experienced pigeons. I think your best bet is to try to find a site further from home so that they are going on a line before they are hit. They are easy prey while circling.

Did you take your father's as well?

I started my 12 x 1st round last week with one at just under 10 miles and another at just under 20 miles, both around 1830, without any problems. They've been going out early morning ranging for around an hour, that recently reduced to around 40 minutes, so reckoned it was time to start training.

I started my 12 x 1st round last week with one at just under 10 miles and another at just under 20 miles, both around 1830, without any problems. They've been going out early morning ranging for around an hour, that recently reduced to around 40 minutes, so reckoned it was time to start training.

I have a friend who feels that liberations after 18:00 attract less interest from BOP. Personally I am not convinced.

I have a friend who feels that liberations after 18:00 attract less interest from BOP. Personally I am not convinced.

I think there is less traffic in the sky and the 'setting' sun does seem to concentrate YBs minds on going straight home.

Brian the area you live in is absolutely polluted. I trained from there for years from the Cattle Market on the hill and from Minishant. Last time I went there I lost 5 experienced pigeons. I think your best bet is to try to find a site further from home so that they are going on a line before they are hit. They are easy prey while circling.

Did you take your father's as well?

No I didn't take my dads but he trains from there as well.

may i ask why u train at 3 miles? surely they range further?

If you lived in the Moffat hills ,range my friend does not exist ,first time they try it they are hit end of ranging then its fear factor round the rooftops ,basket training must start at min of 8miles anything shorter they will be hit as they leave the basket ,if I liberate in small groups which I do say 4groups one will be struck enroute every time guaranteed so got to accept I will loose 20percent prior to first race ,the young are flying as strong as the parents at present and must hone there skills to survive very sad but very true .