Whats The Latest ?

andy Burgess

Got some young birds off Darren Peters end of April put them on dark right away had no problems,if my memory serves me right they were on for about six week. :animatedpigeons:

how far did they race Lindsay , and were there any noticeable difference between them , and the earlier ones ??

The point of putting youngsters onto the darkness system is not just to get them to moult but also to slow their metabolism. The idea is that when you take them off the dark in June they will have a speeded up metabolism which will help them as racers. There is no reason why you can not put them onto the dark well into May but if you do it will be better if you take them off it at the end of June to give them the extra time to moult and mature. I know people who want to target later races so they actually keep the birds on the dark longer to get the best from them late in the season. As a rule of thumb, the birds give their best about 10 weeks after coming off the dark.

The point of putting youngsters onto the darkness system is not just to get them to moult but also to slow their metabolism. The idea is that when you take them off the dark in June they will have a speeded up metabolism which will help them as racers. There is no reason why you can not put them onto the dark well into May but if you do it will be better if you take them off it at the end of June to give them the extra time to moult and mature. I know people who want to target later races so they actually keep the birds on the dark longer to get the best from them late in the season. As a rule of thumb, the birds give their best about 10 weeks after coming off the dark.

thank you Owen , i have a basic guide to the details .things like youve mentioned arent in there . :emoticon-0137-clapping:

Usually just race youngens as far as Stafford Andy 150 mile,once you get passed that race point we get hammered with clashing,most being reported in Wales.No difference mate just as good as the older birds,infact might have been better.

thanks for the reply Lindsay .

I do every year what you have said Owen.

• 1 month later...

Hi lads,

I went on the dark last minute and started the system on may 25th. Our first race is till the 3rd week of August and our money race is the last race of the seaso . How long do u suggest I keep them on dark for? I darken the loft at 6p and open up on 8am. The birds are just getting on a roll with the moult and I see plenty feathers in the morning. Any ideas and suggestions are welcomed.

Bluebar

Btw lads this money race which I'm targeting the birds for is our 8th race...3rd week of

October. Keep in mind though I still would like to be competitive from the get go! I started with 30-45 day old pigeons some...starting the system just last week June 7th.

Thanks

Blue bar

Blue Bar what country do you race in as I know of no young bird racing going this far into the year on the British isles. For the darkness system to be effective you need at the minimum of 6 weeks. But they'll go into a moult quicker.

Hi Wiley...I'm in California...USA. Thanks for the response. So I need min at least 6 weeks? Will they continue on with the body moult after I pull them off to the dark.? Can u give me sound advice on how you would go about it if this was your loft? Put them on lights ASAP after 6 weeks or gradually introduce them to the light?