Judging Fitness

Guest snowy2011

Guest snowy2011

A question with many answers just wondered how different fanciers judge fitness in there old birds i.e.

Before training them

First race

Jumping distances

:emoticon-0157-sun:

A question with many answers just wondered how different fanciers judge fitness in there old birds i.e.

Before training them = got to be fit before training in my opinion.

First race flying well at home ,and a couple of training tosses under there belt.

Jumping distances = as above really .

:emoticon-0157-sun:

:animatedpigeons:

for me its the birds weight and tightness of body and feather and 1 hour morning and night round the loft for 3 weeks 8 20 mile tosses and there ready to go and do not over feed fat pigeons do not win and it does not matter what you feed them its all about how much hope this helps you

I guess not many answers as its hard to explain. I look for a combination of things, exercise is the obvious thing to start with. After a couple of weeks being let out AM & PM they should start to exercise with a bit of zip about them, racing eachother across the skies. If they're whizzing around low in the sky in small circles they're not ready. When you handle them they'll not feel overweight, their eyes are all seeing and they blink so fast its just noticable. In the loft watch them fly up to their box, one or two claps of their wings should take them to the highest box, after time you'll be able to hear if they're taking off is laboured or not.

Training them for me is no big thing, I've put them into the first race (72mile) with just one 6 mile toss under their belts. Idealy I would like one from 6 mile, one from 15mile & a 30 miler to finish with.

Thank you :animatedpigeons:

good question lot of different andwers

many champions have quirks

the docherty cock think it was john adams raced him swore that he knew he was right

when he dropped on

the neighbours roof while exercising

my point is its all about observation and knowing your birds

Yeah time of the year can make a difference as I have seen me let certain birds out one day sitting eggs and they are desp to get back to that nest condition so dont fly much then same bird on a yb will fly 45 mins a few days/week later

Handling them gives me a good indication. I hate soft feeling pigeons! Must have good muscle about them for me