How To Remove Sticky Glue Substance Off Plastic

terry mccarthy

i use a thing called fablon to cover windows for darkness system works pefect bit like a big reel of black selotape only trouble is wen i take off at end of racing in leaves a glue substance on windows anyone got any ideas how to get off without scratching the plastic cheers

Hi mate I work with d.glazing,if u go to a d,glazing supliers ask for a solvent cleaner usual about £15 for 5ltrs lasts for ages ,or if we run out we use petrol or thinners,white spirit. Does the same thing but the solvent stuff is the business

I used to have a Window Film business and we removed lots of this stuff - although it was from glass as opposed to plastic.

We soaked newspaper pages in a solution of water and fairy liquid, and "stuck" them to the windows. We then continued to keep the pages wet on the glass until they were properly soaked through. This loosened the adhesive which allowed us to scrape the glue off.

You may or may not be able to scrape the plastic, and using some of the solvent through the water and washing up liquid would probably assist further.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Guest grizzler

i tried graffiti remover oh dear plastic is very blurred now on bit i tried

graffii remover is acid based...so not the best stuff to use on plastics.white spirit will do the job

terry if you go to a window upvc installer in your area they have this its like white sririt but not it cleans plastic up its good gear i think garages use the same gear for getting marks off paintwork i'veused it got it from b'andq but its not as good as those who use it to c lean windows after they've been installed and it doesn't fade the upvc.