the light system

Perhaps someone that has raced this system would be better to advise than myself. Cutting & pulling....... the last 2 flights have to be cut around 4 inches below the tip of flights 9 &10 some 10-14 days before you pull these flights out. This has to be done sometime before the commence of racing in enough time to allow them to grow back. Sorry its all a bit sketchy but when I heard you had to pull flights out I didn't look into it any further.

Guest cloudview

i would not reccomend it , reason being this was at a loft 2 year ago it was 10ish at night , what a racket going on in yb section they were on light system , not getting any rest so obviously not growing as they should , anything forced to moult should have rest and plenty of it along with a good high protein diet .

my opinion only

Sorry mate you have left it too late to get your birds on the light system this year. To do it properly you would have to pair up in November. To make it work you need to have the birds on 16 hours of light and get them to moult out all their flights as well as their body feathers. The last couple of flights must be cut off so that they will die. When they have died you can pull them out so that new ones will grow. If you pull the feathers without them being cut off first, it would be very painful and cruel to the birds.

About the only benefit the light system has over the dark is that you do not have the problems with air flow. Darkness birds that have increased light through into September will be just as good if not better. In fact you should be able to clean up on the last races when everyone elses' birds are finished.

I dont see the point of it, it cost money on all that electricity with all the added hassle, This will be my 20th season doing darkness and i wouldnt change it for any other system.

Owen is very right though about the ventilation you have to keep airflow right, dont sacrifice your ventilation as you will pay the price later on.

Jas.

They dont complete the wing moult, the last 2 flights have to be cut and pulled.

had this system on video about 10 years ago ,i tried it but only got to last flight.i have

never heard of flights being pulled , but u do have to pull every 2nd tail feather then when they are up u pull the other ones that are left, if u dont then they

will keep their tails untill the are yearlings,beleive me it takes a lot of time an effort to do

it proper,i don,t have the video now or u could have had it ,it was made by samson bro

in usa if this helps. ;)