Ybs Wont Trap When Called

Guest evilscotsman

Guest evilscotsman

I cut there feed way back to the point they were climbing the mesh when they saw me with food tin however i let them loft fly this morning and out of 10 that went out only 2 refused to come back in even when they noticed the others eating? they do know how to trap it was almost like they were more interested in being out side than food? any tips on how to get them trapping with the others.

i also notice there not flying in a group they tend to go into twos and head to diffrent roofs ?

I've found one of the drawbacks of keeping the birds short to get them to trap is that when they do get fed, they gorge, and the chances are the crop wont be empty when they next go out, so food won't entice them back in.

IMO you'd be better keeping them in for a week and work on getting them back into the routine of coming to the feeder when called. Fill the feeder before you put it down - work on a short ration, i.e. if you have 10 birds, put down enough for 9, until they all respond as one as soon as you call.

Next week, get them into a routine of going out, and when you are ready call them back in, same practice as week before, either starting the week with a short ration, or only putting feeder down as soon as they are all in.

As for roofing, get neighbours' permission, and lob a brightly coloured ball amonst them.

I've found one of the drawbacks of keeping the birds short to get them to trap is that when they do get fed, they gorge, and the chances are the crop wont be empty when they next go out, so food won't entice them back in.

IMO you'd be better keeping them in for a week and work on getting them back into the routine of coming to the feeder when called. Fill the feeder before you put it down - work on a short ration, i.e. if you have 10 birds, put down enough for 9, until they all respond as one as soon as you call.

Next week, get them into a routine of going out, and when you are ready call them back in, same practice as week before, either starting the week with a short ration, or only putting feeder down as soon as they are all in.

As for roofing, get neighbours' permission, and lob a brightly coloured ball amonst them.

completely agree

Guest evilscotsman

i had been feeding the ones that come in however the ones that did not got nothing until the next day if they came in sadly it did not work as well as i had hoped.

I honestly think its to do with the bobs some of them go through like bullets the others teeter on the edge with there heads through then back out i had them in a cage on top of landing board for a little over a week they would all come through fine when called but then once they were free flying they took a little longer but still trapped in under two minutes its just the last three times i have let them out some of them dont come in when called

i had been feeding the ones that come in however the ones that did not got nothing until the next day if they came in sadly it did not work as well as i had hoped.

I honestly think its to do with the bobs some of them go through like bullets the others teeter on the edge with there heads through then back out i had them in a cage on top of landing board for a little over a week they would all come through fine when called but then once they were free flying they took a little longer but still trapped in under two minutes its just the last three times i have let them out some of them dont come in when called

Bobs definitely stopped some of my ybs trapping put a sputnik on and the fired through no prob!

But am i right in saying you haven't had the doos long in the loft? if this is the case prob nothing to worry about young birds would give anyone grey hair m8! start worrying when the arent eating at all and the droppings are slimey

Guest evilscotsman

yea they have only been in a few weeks they do all come in just not allways when i want them to kind of like asking the kids to tidy there rooms :D

this really should be trained from the time there about 30 days old when feeding time comes about its all about doing the same things every time they should really trap even when there not that hungry

short training tosses from a few miles may help just keep bringing them until they trap like bullets giving on a pinch of traping seed each time

Guest evilscotsman

The birds are as far as i know are older than 30 days i think that might be an issue aswell, but i cant help that now im just gratefull they do come back all be it in there own time not mine

Guest evilscotsman

it might be frowned apon but i was 99% sure it was the bob wires they were scared of

i tried your advice IB i also removed the bobs and knocked up something similar to a belgium drop trap every feeding time i filled the feeders while in the loft did my calls and whistle ect then put food down after 10 or so minutes i removed it the three that had issues trapping did not come to get fed so went without food until next day they got the point soon enough.

So on goes the belgium drop trap out goes the birds into a make shift settling cage on landing board, i opened the sliding door to allow them access to the trap itself and nothing i thought they would have went in so in i go fill up feeders and do the call BAM they drop through like mini misiles all but two same again they didnt get anything the next morning i did the same and every one came in,in under 2 minutes.

I could have let them trap train for a few days but i was sure they knew the rules by now so this morning i boxed them up took them over the braes about 600/700 meters away from the loft and let them out they grouped up and headed for home i was gob smacked they grouped up the last time they went in twos and threes and took over three hours to trap today from the point of release to the last bird going in loft was under 10 minutes so i think the advice from IB and others coupled with changing the trap worked wonders thank you lads/ladys.

Oh i forgot to mention i had to alter the trap a little one of the more brave doo's worked out she could get out if she flew under it! 1" off the sides soon cured that

thank you for all your help :)

here is some pics if anyone is intrested in exactly what im rambling on about :P

Guest evilscotsman

Fine appart from today :emoticon-0179-headbang: 9 birds taken a little less than a mile away in the same direction as last time released all flew in a pack 2 miles or so up in circles then it was as if someone threw a grenade amungst them and they all went sepetate ways some took over 6 hours to come back :( im still one missing i hope she turns up she was my fave colour doo she was also one of the best at comeing in when called i just dont understand what went wrong

Fine appart from today :emoticon-0179-headbang: 9 birds taken a little less than a mile away in the same direction as last time released all flew in a pack 2 miles or so up in circles then it was as if someone threw a grenade amungst them and they all went sepetate ways some took over 6 hours to come back :( im still one missing i hope she turns up she was my fave colour doo she was also one of the best at comeing in when called i just dont understand what went wrong

Maybe Percy at them mate, hope the hen turns up for you.

Why not fit a table inside the trap so that you can feed them peanuts as a treat. The trap in the picture is far too high and too small and if the birds have raced they will not want to drop in there. Sorry to tell you but you are the one at fault because you have given them a bad trap and you have not taught them properly when they were younger. As a rule of thumb your landing area should be big enough to allow all the birds to land together. I doubt if yours is anything like big enough. You have left this problem far too late in the season because you should not ration them at this point in the programme because they need to have all the food they want in order to fly the longer races.

Guest evilscotsman

there are a few cats around i am waiting on one of those sonic cat deterant gizmos i was also reading about things that might deter them.

like i said above there now trapping ok 99% bolt through it now seams they stick together in flight then break up when they return home.

sadly owen i am limited to changes i can make they trap fine through at present thats not to say if i start racing they will trap fine with the same trap. I also cant help the fact other fanciers gave me birds that were a bit older. i suppose thats the price you pay when you first start unless you breed your own young team.

the landing board is the same length as the shed by 2ft deep so its a big target

here's a pic the day the loft was finished