Where Am I Going Wrong?

Guest dodgydaz

Guest dodgydaz

i've raced 2 races so far this season, last week i was 15 mins behind the winner, this i am 3 hours behind.

i race on roundabout system mostly yearlings which as young took numerous prizes including 3 wins,giving me top prizewinner in club, but this year i'm miles behind.

i give them gerry plus sat/sun, 50/50 gerry plus and best all year round mix mon/tues, then wed/thurs/fri best all year round mix, in the water i use gem products, strike sun, flight fuel mon/tues, impact wed/thurs, electro-b fri/sat

ive gone from top to bottom in 2 races

i'm thinking the birds dont like roundabout and thinking of going back to natural, but dont know why its all gone wrong

Guest spin cycle

i've raced 2 races so far this season, last week i was 15 mins behind the winner, this i am 3 hours behind.

i race on roundabout system mostly yearlings which as young took numerous prizes including 3 wins,giving me top prizewinner in club, but this year i'm miles behind.

i give them gerry plus sat/sun, 50/50 gerry plus and best all year round mix mon/tues, then wed/thurs/fri best all year round mix, in the water i use gem products, strike sun, flight fuel mon/tues, impact wed/thurs, electro-b fri/sat

i'm thinking the birds dont like roundabout and thinking of going back to natural, but dont know why its all gone wrong

welcome to pigeon racing :emoticon-0136-giggle:

Guest strapper

heres a week in the life of my pigeons feeding/watering.

fed entirely on cheap as possible corn..usually a high protein mixture .

they get normal cooking rice thrown down to them throughout the week..not every day.

also conditioning seed but not too much.

they will have beans given them too...sometimes (what some call)horse beans.

the watering cosists of ..garlic in the water most days of the week

fresh cloves not the stuff you buy over the counter in a bottle.

ive got the cloves in a net in the watering can all the time , untill they need changing...dont leave in direct sunlight!!!

also i use a horse product with is a multivit/electrolyte once a week maybe on a wednesday.

some may say i wouldnt do what i do, but ive topped the fed on the 1st race and won my club 3-3 races this year..so must be doing summut right :)

i would never spend on dear corn(simply cant afford it) and some of the products you mention.

each to their own ,i wouldnt tell anyone to do as i am doing but its only some insight to how i race.

As long as your feeding them enough look elsewhere as to why your behind as far as you are.

I would satisfy myself its not a respiratory infection causing them being late also get a droppings sample analysed.

System wise I would train them midweek back to their partners to make sure they're acquainted with the system.

Guest dodgydaz

As long as your feeding them enough look elsewhere as to why your behind as far as you are.

I would satisfy myself its not a respiratory infection causing them being late also get a droppings sample analysed.

System wise I would train them midweek back to their partners to make sure they're acquainted with the system.

i feed them as much as they can eat till they all go back to perch/box,

i train train them on seperate days so there mate is in box on return, hens wednesday cocks thursday let them with each other for around 5 mins before splitting up

think i'll give it another week, see if owt improves

heres a week in the life of my pigeons feeding/watering.

fed entirely on cheap as possible corn..usually a high protein mixture .

they get normal cooking rice thrown down to them throughout the week..not every day.

also conditioning seed but not too much.

they will have beans given them too...sometimes (what some call)horse beans.

the watering cosists of ..garlic in the water most days of the week

fresh cloves not the stuff you buy over the counter in a bottle.

ive got the cloves in a net in the watering can all the time , untill they need changing...dont leave in direct sunlight!!!

also i use a horse product with is a multivit/electrolyte once a week maybe on a wednesday.

some may say i wouldnt do what i do, but ive topped the fed on the 1st race and won my club 3-3 races this year..so must be doing summut right :)

i would never spend on dear corn(simply cant afford it) and some of the products you mention.

each to their own ,i wouldnt tell anyone to do as i am doing but its only some insight to how i race.

Guest dannymitch

You must have good pigeons if they performed like that last year. Not sure that they are healthy this year, get them tested. All the best.

I think you need to start to check everything to eliminate the possible problems. First the droppings test by someone who knows the job. Then check the loft to make sure that there is enough air available. After that you need to sort out the feed. I will not comment on that because there is enough information offered to you already. The birds could be over weight and need to be slimmed down. You need to look at the way you train because just taking birds to a liberation point with a gang of other people's is just not it. Your birds should not do more than a half a turn and leave for home climbing as they go. If that is not the case you really need to start from scratch to get them doing the right thing. After training comes motivation which can make all the differance in getting those extra couple of minutes on the clock. You can gauge the level of motivation by watching how your birds trap. Slow and sluggish traps will tell you that they have little interest in the nest box or the inside of the loft. That being the case, you will need to examine your racing system so that you can give the birds real momentum. Have you been breeding from these birds and got them run down so that they can not give you their best form. Perhaps they are too knackered to race, and if that is the case you have blown it for this year unless you can get them ready for the come back races.

Last but not least, are the birds up to the job? You say that you won races last year with the same birds but you did not say what the level of competition is at your Club. In any case there is a vast differance between young bird racing and old birds.

I think you have identified what is wrong,,,,,,your doos probably don't like the roundabout system. Pair them up and they'll soon be back to their best. JMO.

Would agree with all quotes mate..first and foremost they gotta be healthy..which it sounds like theta aren't..a healthy loft with no motivation would have better returns than yours..only 2things you need to keep on top of for me are respiratory and canker..prevention better than cure...every other week for me...gotta start there...I could go on forever but there's a million and 1way to race pigeons and they all work...ps my roundabout cocks and hens have corn at them 24/7 and they're flying theatre wick out...keep it simple..

Guest dodgydaz

Would agree with all quotes mate..first and foremost they gotta be healthy..which it sounds like theta aren't..a healthy loft with no motivation would have better returns than yours..only 2things you need to keep on top of for me are respiratory and canker..prevention better than cure...every other week for me...gotta start there...I could go on forever but there's a million and 1way to race pigeons and they all work...ps my roundabout cocks and hens have corn at them 24/7 and they're flying theatre wick out...keep it simple..

i have been using trikanox for the first 3 days of every month for well over a year now, and use nasaline every 2 weeks when racing, the birds seem healthy enough they fly well around home morning and afternoon for well over half hour

Starting Monday mine get cider vin(5ml per drinker) tue clean water ,wed Thur multiple vits..fir clear water.sat sun cider vin...once they get over 200mile they get multiple vits on race day instead of vinegar...I treat on a tue..canker one week respiratory the next for the full season..worm and cocci before the season starts then don't do again till season over..Ii mix 1x sack of canary seed (full of black rape and linseed ) with 1xbag of homoform 1xbag of brown rice and 2x white mix altogether it will last all season...give every racer 1xdesert spoon every day...they love it and conditions them beautifully...multiple vits are from holland and barrette £5 a bottle (called feraglobin). I use garlic oil on me seed mix on mon and we'd ...I use flagyl for canker and doxycycline for reps cider vin£1 a bottle from any supermarket...any decent widowhood mix will do for feed and some maples...I do everything as cheap as possible...what system are u using for exercise and cock/hen rotation etc

Can I also ask how big is the roundabout end..how many nest boxes and pairs in main end ..how much light etc..how long you been racing..what breeds you racing..how many birds you racing against..do you race to the house or allotments.how close the next loft..the more info the better..My personal opinion is you can't race ob to the corn tin..it's motivation that wins races..no motivation then they're just homing not racing...I fly10pair on roundabout never had the same pigeons in the first 5yet and we've had 4races against 350-400birds and I've got a first , second, forth,2xseventh and couple of tenths...I'm happy with that..

IMO they dont like the system becasue thats the only thing you have changed! But maybe get them checked just to give you peice of mind

IMO they dont like the system becasue thats the only thing you have changed! But maybe get them checked just to give you peice of mind

Good luck with whatever way you decide to go, but I think you can't compare this year to your results last year. YB & OB racing are two worlds apart. It sounds like you are now racing an OB team of mainly yearlings, thats a hard task by anyones standards. Its hard work getting a system going for your OBs that suits you and the birds. Dont beat yourself up, it will come good im sure.

at the end of the day mate its hard for anyone to give or for you to recieve advice as what works for one fancier doesnt work for another...stick with it for at least another month and give the pigeons a chance to learn the system.stick with it and dont give up cos if you crack it i guarentee youll never go back to natural ..if you want to pick my brain some more by all means pm me..