Pigeon Planner - Organise and manage your pigeons

-= What is it? =-

Pigeon Planner is free and open source software.

It aims to be a simple to use pigeon database.

Organise and manage your pigeons by adding, editing, removing

them in a list.

View their details, including -but not limited to- band number,

name, colour, picture, etc.

You can choose to view the pedigree, relatives or results

per pigeon. Check a detailed pedigree with extra information

and a generation further or print the pedigree. See brothers

and sisters, halfbrothers and sisters and offspring.

View/add results for each one. With the detailed results window,

it is possible to see all results of all pigeons and sort them

according to some parameters.

-= I need you! =-

Help me by making Pigeon Planner better and better. You don't

need to be a programmer. You can report bugs, share ideas,

translate in your native language, feature requests, and so on.

See Contact for details.

-= Contact =-

Bugs, ideas, questions, etc. can be reported to me by e-mail

or through the website's bugtracker and questionpage.

timovwb [at] gmail [dot] com

https://launchpad.net/pigeonplanner

https://sourceforge.net/projects/pigeonplanner/

-= Download =-

IMPORTANT: At the moment of this post, the program is still under active development and not stable yet. The program can crash and features may not work correctly.

* Windows: https://sourceforge.net/project/platformdownload.php?group_id=263669&sel_platform=16530

Download, unzip and run pigeonplanner.exe

* Linux: https://sourceforge.net/project/platformdownload.php?group_id=263669&sel_platform=16532

Download, untar and run pigeonplanner.py

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

best of luck but there are many already on the market with no bugs :)

Ofcourse there are. But many don't fill our needs plus most are outdated and/or pricy and/or ugly and/or hard to use. On top of that, this program is completely open-source, free and cross-platform.

The bugs will disappear in time, that's normal. It's only a couple of months in development and is still being worked on very hard. I release this so people can give me feedback, that's the whole point in my opinion. Many updates will follow with improvements and bugfixes. There's no point in developing this on my own without other people testing it, maybe the bugs will never get found. And ofcourse, many brains have many ideas.

No program in the world hasn't got any bugs you know :).

Ofcourse there are. But many don't fill our needs plus most are outdated and/or pricy and/or ugly and/or hard to use. On top of that, this program is completely open-source, free and cross-platform.

The bugs will disappear in time, that's normal. It's only a couple of months in development and is still being worked on very hard. I release this so people can give me feedback, that's the whole point in my opinion. Many updates will follow with improvements and bugfixes. There's no point in developing this on my own without other people testing it, maybe the bugs will never get found. And ofcourse, many brains have many ideas.

No program in the world hasn't got any bugs you know :).

HAVE TO SAY ITS A GOOD IDEA YOU HAVE  

JUST LOOK WHAT MICROSOFT HAS DONE TO FIND BUGS IN THERE NEW WINDOWS 7 RELEASED IT FREE FOR A LIMITED TIME  TO FIND OUT ALL THE BUGS

THIS ONE IS FREE FOR LIFE SO IT CANT HARM TO GIVE IT A TRY

• 2 months later...
tryed it it just went into my documents would not run

Ow, that's not good. It was tested on many platforms and computers.

Can you tell me the following things so I can fix this for you and other people?

First make sure you have the latest version (0.4.4), because 0.4.2 can crash at startup.

- Your platform (eg. windows XP, windows Vista, Ubuntu Linux, etc.)

- The crash report that was created (this can be found in the Pigeon Planner folder with the name: pigeonplanner.exe.log)

I don't quite understand what you mean with "it just went to documents". Do you mean the application crashed?

If it was a crash, there should be created a logfile. Go to the pigeonplanner-0.4.4 folder (same as the exe) and check for the file pigeonplanner.exe.log. You can open this with regular notepad. Can you give me the text what is inside?

Guest 67ghirl

C:\Users\Mum\Documents\pigeonplanner-0.4.4-win32\Pigeon Planner 0.4.4

This is where mine went, it lists folders like etc, glade, images, languages, lib, pigeonplanner and share, when you click on any of them it just goes to further text and files???? but I am unable to open anything  :-/

I am not computer literate so if you need any further info go easy on me.............................please  :-/ :)

Hi Timo,

i think they mean it downloads to documents (It does not have a short cut icon to click to open) All i did was click the aplication file after openng the planner folder and it opens fine. It seems good although i have not had a change yet to use everything.

Well done Timo

Dave

67ghirl: Ok, I understand what you mean :).

There is no installer, so also no shortcut (you can make it yourself though).

You have the folder: C:\Users\Mum\Documents\pigeonplanner-0.4.4-win32\Pigeon Planner 0.4.4

In this folder is a file called "pigeonplanner.exe", this is the file you have to start. I know there are a lot of files, so maybe you'll have to search a bit, it has the Pigeon Planner icon.

I'm thinking about making an installer, it'll probably make it easier than unpacking the file etc.

fits: Thank you. I hope you lik it.

Guest 67ghirl
67ghirl: Ok, I understand what you mean :).

There is no installer, so also no shortcut (you can make it yourself though).

You have the folder: C:\Users\Mum\Documents\pigeonplanner-0.4.4-win32\Pigeon Planner 0.4.4

In this folder is a file called "pigeonplanner.exe", this is the file you have to start. I know there are a lot of files, so maybe you'll have to search a bit, it has the Pigeon Planner icon.

I'm thinking about making an installer, it'll probably make it easier than unpacking the file etc.

Woo Hoo found it (very impressed with myself ;D)

Now I just need to work out how to use it lol

Ok that's great :).

It is not that hard to use, I tried to keep it as simple as possible. The basic is just to add pigeons (by pressing the plus-sign with "Add" underneath"). More options should be self-explaining once you have a pigeon or more in your list.

Guest 67ghirl
Ok that's great :).

It is not that hard to use, I tried to keep it as simple as possible. The basic is just to add pigeons (by pressing the plus-sign with "Add" underneath"). More options should be self-explaining once you have a pigeon or more in your list.

I think I'll just leave it to Kieran - then I can't get the blame if it's wrong  ;D

-= What is it? =-

Pigeon Planner is free and open source software.

It aims to be a simple to use pigeon database.

Organise and manage your pigeons by adding, editing, removing

them in a list.

View their details, including -but not limited to- band number,

name, colour, picture, etc.

You can choose to view the pedigree, relatives or results

per pigeon. Check a detailed pedigree with extra information

and a generation further or print the pedigree. See brothers

and sisters, halfbrothers and sisters and offspring.

View/add results for each one. With the detailed results window,

it is possible to see all results of all pigeons and sort them

according to some parameters.

-= I need you! =-

Help me by making Pigeon Planner better and better. You don't

need to be a programmer. You can report bugs, share ideas,

translate in your native language, feature requests, and so on.

See Contact for details.

-= Contact =-

Bugs, ideas, questions, etc. can be reported to me by e-mail

or through the website's bugtracker and questionpage.

timovwb [at] gmail [dot] com

https://launchpad.net/pigeonplanner

https://sourceforge.net/projects/pigeonplanner/

-= Download =-

IMPORTANT: At the moment of this post, the program is still under active development and not stable yet. The program can crash and features may not work correctly.

* Windows: https://sourceforge.net/project/platformdownload.php?group_id=263669&sel_platform=16530

Download, unzip and run pigeonplanner.exe

* Linux: https://sourceforge.net/project/platformdownload.php?group_id=263669&sel_platform=16532

Download, untar and run pigeonplanner.py

What about us Apple mac users any plans to release on this platform.

cheers.

Jas.

Guest LOFTMAN12

??)Hi I have managed to run it now by opening pigeonplaner, and then right click and then run as administrator. it opens up fine but whare do you put ring No, as it dosenot say ring No.

Normally you shouldn't run it as administrator. In fact, you should never run a program as administrator unless they explicit ask for it.

You can add a new pigeon with ring number by pressing "Add" on the top left, then you can enter details on the right. Next to "Colour" and "Sex" (above the image) you can enter the ring number, the year and the name of the pigeon.

Guest MIKE1957
I don't quite understand what you mean with "it just went to documents". Do you mean the application crashed?

If it was a crash, there should be created a logfile. Go to the pigeonplanner-0.4.4 folder (same as the exe) and check for the file pigeonplanner.exe.log. You can open this with regular notepad. Can you give me the text what is inside?

mine installed fine...the only thing i cant do is add pictures of the birds

Do you get an error?

I noticed today that you can't add .jpg pictures on Windows. I think I fixed it, just need to test on some more computers.

If everything goes right, I will release a new version tomorrow with the fix for the pictures along with some more small fixes.

I also made an installer so you can install the program like any other program, and it will be added to the menu and desktop. I hope that will make it easier for most people.