new loft arrived today

Guest monkeynuts71

ah well done mate ... it looks the part ...i like blakes lofts but id like to see either more boxes and them even raise up bud !!!! mikey ... nice area to fly there .... mikey .... a very well done ... congrats  mate ....

ive the same loft

i put wire mesh from the roof to the outside edge of the wooden board at the drop ins

it keeps the ventalation the same

and i fitted 3 sputnicks in the doors (24" in ones)

a perfect fit after you remove the window panels

just screw through the sides into the door frames

dave

Guest monkeynuts71

thanks for your replys and tips, im raising the boxes up today and boarding off around them so nothing can get behind or under.

Hi frazer hope we will be giving them a run for thier money

The loft was going in our back garden but would have been really restricted to the size and problems with the council, neighbours,cats etc so its at the inlaws about 7 miles from home and the loft is at the bottom of thier garden so about 100 yards from the house roughly but being a man my measurments could be out ;D ;D

Its a really nice drop in but im not sure how many problems im going to have with hawks?????

cant wait to get started thanks for all your help

Hi Tris and you too Frazer, you will have to get up really early to beat the olduns around here lads, saying that,

olduns are about all there are around here, best of luck trying anyway.

Roger.

Hi Tris and you too Frazer, you will have to get up really early to beat the olduns around here lads, saying that,

olduns are about all there are around here, best of luck trying anyway.

Roger.

Speak for yerself ;D ;D ;D

don't fill up the gap under the loft, bigger gap the better, the air can flow feeely and keep the floor dry and if well off the ground nothing will live under it.

Ofcourse .... But you can use a 1/2 inch Or better still even a 1/4 inch hole / mesh to go around the bottom. Cats, foxes etc. MINKS ETC stoats weasel besides your birds building nest underneath your loft... all a great pain which can be avoided and still allow the breeze / wind to do it's job. Like wise top... sparrows etc. etc. can be a blumming nuisance. Some say come in and eat / desiese etc.

Mesh it off mucker, better be safe than sorry.

Defence against Foxes... Pee up the sides and corners a few times... Never shoot at them and leave in peace... Seems foxes will leave you alone if you don't antaganise them ... Mind whether that's true ot not, I'd still pee up the sides lol :o ;D ;D ;D Does work, and after a time your misses won't come near either which it it's self could well be an added bonus lol ;D ;D

Or just paint a bit of that RED dye / paint that is used on metals as a undercoat ( Can't think wha it's called). Foxes don't go near it. That works too.

Defence against Foxes... Pee up the sides and corners a few times... Never shoot at them and leave in peace... Seems foxes will leave you alone if you don't antaganise them ... Mind whether that's true ot not, I'd still pee up the sides lol :o ;D ;D ;D Does work, and after a time your misses won't come near either which it it's self could well be an added bonus lol ;D ;D

Or just paint a bit of that RED dye / paint that is used on metals as a undercoat ( Can't think wha it's called). Foxes don't go near it. That works too.

;)the paint is called RED OXIDE .                                      andy.

Nice lofts and well made, know thta from experience. Only thing i would say (as been mentioned) lift nestboxes and because your near fields don't close the bottom of them in wood make sure you see underneath. Also if it does get windy as it does here make sure the roof is well connected to the loft sides and i'd but a 4inch post on every corner at least 2 ft into the ground and bolted to the loft. We have strong winds here and it movedmy sheds four foot, without the weight of boxes and corn etc they would of been a lot further away!!

my nestboxes are like yours with a small gap underneath but that is handy if any yb,s stray from their nestboxes and are at risk from being scalped/bullied by over zealous cock birds  the gap under my nestboxes is just big enough for the yb,s to get under and hide until i go into the loft after work and put them back into their own boxes    i had a yb so badly scalped that it had to be moved on so its good to  know that they have a place to hide if they do leave their nestboxes   your new loft is looking good and the view is brilliant   you must be well pleased   debbie :)

my nestboxes are like yours with a small gap underneath but that is handy if any yb,s stray from their nestboxes and are at risk from being scalped/bullied by over zealous cock birds  the gap under my nestboxes is just big enough for the yb,s to get under and hide until i go into the loft after work and put them back into their own boxes    i had a yb so badly scalped that it had to be moved on so its good to  know that they have a place to hide if they do leave their nestboxes     debbie

I always put a 6 inch wide plank held up on 2 house brickes, one each end for same reason.

Guest G.Drysdale + son

Get some human hair cut the legs from a pair of tights and put some hair inside fix to loft or surrounding area should deter them.(make sure the tights don't fit anymore  ;D ;D)

I use to put concrete Kerbs around underneath and bolt the loft down to them.

Yes it was / is RED OXIDE .       Seems to work a treat too.

Don't know about mink, stoat and / or weasels. They are devasting if getting in. Nice to be able to see any movement underneath ... if wired, then it is movement that shouldn't be there.

Good luck and peeing lol ;D  ;D ;D