Benzing Ets

PIGEON_MAN

I think the benzing system is simple,reliable, our club have used it this year without any problems

If you race under RPRA rules it seems that these systems do not comply with them though,do you have to write the racepoint yourself onto the race entry sheet,what does your club do about it printing 10ths of a second on the clocking in times ie 12.30.30.09,do you just ignore the 09 or round up or down to the nearest second.

We are with the SHU , the times are put into our lindell race result programme . Benzing have always been reliable clocks .Not sure about 0.9

Not sure about SHU rules regarding ETS,will agree Benzing were allways very good clocks still use my Benzing Quartz as a master timer in our club but not sure about their ETS system by whats been said on here they do not comply with RPRA rules.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm relatively new to pigeon racing. I race with my dad and we've used the Benzing G2 this year

for 3 races. So I'll post up what little I know. It does print out name,date and fancier # but doesn't print out the race point name. You have 8 spare slots for races and these are simply labelled 1-8 on the pigeon clock. Which means you can have up to 8 races at once. Where "Release Point" is on the basketing sheet it's blank with a colon. I guess that's where you write in the race point. Once it's printed out by the ETS official. It's taken away by them. I see them writing on it and at a glance I can see they've signed it. I guess they write the race point in as they’re signing it.

The thing is. Each individual race is given each it's own unique identification race number. Which is basically equivalent to writing in the race point. As when your results are printed out.

The unique identification number matches both basketing and results printout for that race, and that race only.

So you have the date,time,fancier number, Fancier name(s), unique identification race number, and a matching set of pigeons on the basketning and race results printout (even if they don't clock in). So I think the rule about the race point being hand written on the sheet is a technicality. With that said. I'm not sure if the unique identification race number actually voids the printed race point rule. It's something that should be looked into though. Even if it is a technicality

For the 3 races I use the G2 for. I didn't take the clock back as the birds were sent for preparation (for internationals where we didn't think it was worth using ETS for). As a chance to try out the new clock. As for the 10ths that the clock does print. I think it's common sense that it should be ignored because no other clock records 10ths (I think). If someone using Benzing clocks in at 13:08:07.7 and someone using a Bricon clocks in at 13:08:07.8. Because the Bricon disregards the 10ths. The Bricon user would win the race (as the Benzing user has had it's clocking time rounded up) even though they lost. IMO either all clocks use 10ths or all clocks don't use 10ths.

The only thing which would demand rounding up or rounding down. Is if the other ETS clocks do this automaticly . If the other clocks ignore 10ths then so should users of the Benzing, but if other ETS clocks automaticity round up or down then users of Benzing should round up or down to keep everything on a level playing field. Going into a little more detail. The Benzing clocks measures 10ths in point decimals. .1, .2, .3 etc. So then you would have the problem of deciding if .5 should be rounded up or down as it's already been rounded by your Benzing clock.

So I think the answer to the 10ths problem is not with Benzing, but with what the other ETS clocks do.

As a club secretary I read with interest what you have written about the Benzing G2,we only have the Unikon and Bricon systems in our club.If a member bought in a G2 to be tested at the beggining of the season I would find myself in a very difficult position as I also check the clocks in the club,RPRA rule states 238 that the race must be printed on the entry and arrival sheets,as you say it doesnt print the racepoint so in my mind I would have to reject this clock. I would think that BENZING must realise this fault which a simple update would surely put right, Reguarding the 10ths of a second it does say on the website about the G2 that they are to be disreguarded when calculating a velocity so there should be no problems there the time would be entered exacly the same as any other ETS ie.13.08.07 so it would be down to distance not the fact that someone as a Bricon clock.

The old puncture clock often punctured the dials in between seconds, the rule at the time was if it hadn't marked the up coming seconds line then the preceding second counted. Logic would dictate that a time Cannot be rounded Up as this would then give a velocity the bird never achieved. So the 10th's are meaningless on these clocks, maybe good for the fancier to seperate them in his returns book, but as far as making up a club result using the 10th's is concerned, it would be tantamount to cheating if a fanciers time was rounded up. imo.

I completely understand where you are coming from but the clock has been checked by the RPRA and approved against it's own rules. As a secretary are you allowed to use your own discretion to ban a clock which has been approved by the RPRA?

The bottom line though. The clock has been approved by the RPRA even though you've found a discrepancy in the rules.

I don't think it can be changed with a simple update. As this will alter how the whole system works. Then again, I'm new to all of this and no expert.

Rule 238 doesnt state wether or not this information can be added after it has been printed. Maybe needs clarification.

Rule 238 says,All ETS race entry sheets and race arrival reports must be printed directly from the ETS printer and not via a PC printer.These must contain the competitors name,RPRA loft number,race and date.

To me "These"refere to the entry sheets and arrival reports,perhaps more clarification is needed but thats how I see it,would I be wrong to reject the clock.

Rule 238 says,All ETS race entry sheets and race arrival reports must be printed directly from the ETS printer and not via a PC printer.These must contain the competitors name,RPRA loft number,race and date.

To me "These"refere to the entry sheets and arrival reports,perhaps more clarification is needed but thats how I see it,would I be wrong to reject the clock.

If that's a direct quote from the rule book. It doesn't say that the race point has to be printed on the sheets. Just says the sheets have to "contain" the race point. If it's written in by pen. The sheets "contain" the race point albeit by pen and ink.

I didn't think you could reject the clock as it's been approved by the RPRA. JohnQuinn cleared that up.

If that's a direct quote from the rule book. It doesn't say that the race point has to be printed on the sheets. Just says the sheets have to "contain" the race point. If it's written in by pen. The sheets "contain" the race point albeit by pen and ink.

I didn't think you could reject the clock as it's been approved by the RPRA. JohnQuinn cleared that up.

Clocks have to be tested at the beginning of the season,just because they have been approved by the RPRA doesnt mean that they cant be rejected when tested.You could read it that way I suppose,thats why it needs clarifying.

Clocks have to be tested at the beginning of the season,just because they have been approved by the RPRA doesnt mean that they cant be rejected when tested.You could read it that way I suppose,thats why it needs clarifying.

It could still only be rejected if it was a Fault that the RPRA were unaware of, i'm quite sure they will be well versed on the 10th's being printed by 1/2 clocks. As was pointed out in an earlier post, ALL clocks must be on equal terms so until Every member of every club has a clock that prints 10th's, the 10th's will mean nothing. Even then i doubt if it would be legal to round Up onto the next second. jmo

You won't be rejecting it for being faulty though. You'll be rejecting it for your own personal view of a rule break. Which doesn't coincide with the RPRA as they've approved the clock based on it's own rules. You should contact the RPRA as I imagine you'll get into a lot of hot water with the RPRA if you stop someone racing with a clock that has been approved by the RPRA.

As I've said and others. If what you posted is a direct quote from the rule book. It doesn't say that the race point needs to be printed. Just that it needs to be "contained" on the sheets. Which could be done with a pen.