Is It Fair To Have A Young Bird National.

alex wight

When we race our pigeons, we all like to compete at all levels.

Young birds require education, to help them do this.

So..... is it fair to have a young bird national?

Does it scare the yb that much, that we could be losing potentially good birds for the future.

Or on the other hand, does it stand them in good stead, by sending them with the best of the best at such a young age.

Your opinion's are greatly appreciated.

Regards alex.

Some ybs learn more than others flying in Yb national Alex. It all depends where they are flying into ;)

Thats right Derek, i kept an eye on my other post and saw that unfolding. Just wondered if we didnt have one would our birds as yearlings be better for it? At the last race how would our birds be graded? on the east and even up north, the guys would be well chuffed with what has been learned. However like yourselves, got it hard, and i can appreciate the frustration felt. I was based in the east section of Fife where racing was great, however i,m now in the west and find it very hard to compete even at fed level. I,ll just have to move back lol

Guest Gareth Rankin

Hi Alex

Many fanciers go on to score with pigeons that have scored or flown the young bird national, on a personal note I cannot include myself within this bracket of fanciers, within the last 27 years I could count on one hand how many pigeons have flown this race and went on to win from France, have tried as I like to win all SNFC races but now put it down to the family of pigeons I have do not mature quick enough to handle the obstacles that the young bird national throws at us flying in to the west.

Hi Alex

Many fanciers go on to score with pigeons that have scored or flown the young bird national, on a personal note I cannot include myself within this bracket of fanciers, within the last 27 years I could count on one hand how many pigeons have flown this race and went on to win from France, have tried as I like to win all SNFC races but now put it down to the family of pigeons I have do not mature quick enough to handle the obstacles that the young bird national throws at us flying in to the west.

feeble excuse :P:P:D:D

lets face it the west sec is not as strong as it was harky had a good bird in the race so where was the rest ? i did not go 2 race but the leaders in my bit 1, 50 some other birds should be there ? this not a dig at the west sec but are ur birds as good as yester year , jmo

Guest Gareth Rankin

lets face it the west sec is not as strong as it was harky had a good bird in the race so where was the rest ? i did not go 2 race but the leaders in my bit 1, 50 some other birds should be there ? this not a dig at the west sec but are ur birds as good as yester year , jmo

R the east pigeons as good as they use to be??

The difference i see is that the members are dwindling in numbers so there are less galant performances to be had in the west because of the terrain compared to our cousins in the flatlands of the east. jmo

feeble excuse :P:P:D:D

:P:lol: :lol:

I flew in your fed this year and hardly lost a bird, I lost 7 ybs in total racing 3 races with Lanarkshire and 7 with A/V. Thats 7 lost in 10 yb races ( 4 so called disasters )when everybody else was losing them every week.Remember, im flying 30 miles further than you and into the west. Does that answer your question John about the calibre of doos through here.

surprised and astonished at why people question the fanciers and birds of the west section at the ybn, the race has changed so much over the past 30 years from south domination during the 80s and early 90s to total domination from the east with now the solway fanciers struggling for top ybn open honours,at no time over the past 30 years have west section flyers hit the top spots with 1984 (terrible race,w kerr bishopbriggs)and 1986 (peter scott coalburn)being 2nd and 1st open respectfully these being the top finishes over all these years,imo all the young birds timed over the years into the west are crackers,so surprised at all this scratching of heads about the allegedly historic slow west of scotland youngbirds. ;) ;)

as regarding the strength of the west section John i have been a member of the almond valley for 2 seasons flying 25 to 35 miles west of most A/V federation fanciers including yourself and i have been fortunate to record the 1st pigeon fron the SNFC GOLD CUP RACE in each of these seasons,so if my doos are no good enough john!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;) ps well done on winning the averages. :) :) :)

Hi Alex

I've flown this race only twice, last year (2009) I sent 1 and failed to get her back. On hindsight that was a waste of a pigeon.

Year before, 2008 I sent 4, timed 2 on night (1 made the result) and got the other 2 next morning.

These 4 pigeons, as yearlings in 2009: I dropped 1 at Ypres; 2 were injured (Leicester)and din't complete season. 1 flew Maidstone.

Remaining 3 pigeons as 2 yo in 2010: I dropped 1 in Bovingdon, and 1 in Reims. [These were my day pigeons from YB National]

'Sole' survivor took Open positions in Bovingdon (524th) and Reims (89th). (She'd been my first 2nd day bird in YB National.)

My gut feeling is that you cannot make any sound judgement on a bird's future based on its YB results alone, including YB National.

Guest Gareth Rankin

as regarding the strength of the west section John i have been a member of the almond valley for 2 seasons flying 25 to 35 miles west of most A/V federation fanciers including yourself and i have been fortunate to record the 1st pigeon fron the SNFC GOLD CUP RACE in each of these seasons, :) :) :)

Well done John on good performances, now the standard has been set for JohnJ and the Almond Valley fanciers to fllow you and your father.

We gan most years tae the YB nat. This year I was 3rd 4th and 14th section. These were the only ones i got oot o 5 and am hopin I can get one of these tae Ypres or equivelant next year.

In 2009 we were 8th section and got 5/6 one hen went on tae win the section at ypres 2010

in 2008 we were 16th section and got 4/7 timed the hen at 2009 ypres but ootside the result

good comments/opinions there. the only way to see if it done any detrimental damage to our youngsters would be to not have a national for one year and see what the results are. But thats not going to happen. i suppose its down to each and everyone's preference as what they see as the best way for themselves. Interesting though thanks, alex.

:)

Regarding young bird national it will certainly do the youngsters no harm from the experience gained against big bird age but at what cost to the south and west sections as looking at the result there was two and a half hours between first and last section position that's fourteen out of one hundred and forty ,the section winner being 47 miles behind the winner and the fourteenth being 96 miles behind ,our fed was at Stafford the previous week which is only 40 miles short of Leicester and the birds made easy work of it ,they were all up for the job in hand but found themselves on the wrong side of the country then had to work into a head wind thus the

difference in times ,i have been fortunate enough in recent years to have finished second and fourth section but now question sending what could turn out to be good yearlings ,

Very well done

to all the Winners , :)

:)

Regarding young bird national it will certainly do the youngsters no harm from the experience gained against big bird age but at what cost to the south and west sections as looking at the result there was two and a half hours between first and last section position that's fourteen out of one hundred and forty ,the section winner being 47 miles behind the winner and the fourteenth being 96 miles behind ,our fed was at Stafford the previous week which is only 40 miles short of Leicester and the birds made easy work of it ,they were all up for the job in hand but found themselves on the wrong side of the country then had to work into a head wind thus the

difference in times ,i have been fortunate enough in recent years to have finished second and fourth section but now question sending what could turn out to be good yearlings ,

Very well done

to all the Winners ,

Spot on Mike drag and wind split oors up badly

surprised and astonished at why people question the fanciers and birds of the west section at the ybn, the race has changed so much over the past 30 years from south domination during the 80s and early 90s to total domination from the east with now the solway fanciers struggling for top ybn open honours,at no time over the past 30 years have west section flyers hit the top spots with 1984 (terrible race,w kerr bishopbriggs)and 1986 (peter scott coalburn)being 2nd and 1st open respectfully these being the top finishes over all these years,imo all the young birds timed over the years into the west are crackers,so surprised at all this scratching of heads about the allegedly historic slow west of scotland youngbirds. ;) ;)

as regarding the strength of the west section John i have been a member of the almond valley for 2 seasons flying 25 to 35 miles west of most A/V federation fanciers including yourself and i have been fortunate to record the 1st pigeon fron the SNFC GOLD CUP RACE in each of these seasons,so if my doos are no good enough john!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;) ps well done on winning the averages. :) :) :)

Aye thats right John, and the A/V had their first channel race this year and I had 5 in top 20 Open away oot here with inferior doos. :D

Aye thats right John, and the A/V had their first channel race this year and I had 5 in top 20 Open away oot here with inferior doos. :D

just got to keep plugging away del. ;)250 birds on the ybn result before we have a doo from sections A,E AND F,a lot of bad fanciers in these sections. :lol: :lol:

I flew in your fed this year and hardly lost a bird, I lost 7 ybs in total racing 3 races with Lanarkshire and 7 with A/V. Thats 7 lost in 10 yb races ( 4 so called disasters )when everybody else was losing them every week.Remember, im flying 30 miles further than you and into the west. Does that answer your question John about the calibre of doos through here.

delboy ur not as good as think you are thats a fact did you get a bird on the open result in the snfc that day ? if so well done if not shut up , iwas not hitting at the west sec pointing out that there no jock allen any more , btw i was about 14 hours in front of in old bird ave think about that

delboy ur not as good as think you are thats a fact did you get a bird on the open result in the snfc that day ? if so well done if not shut up , iwas not hitting at the west sec pointing out that there no jock allen any more , btw i was about 14 hours in front of in old bird ave think about that

o btw i also have a full time job , not like full time doo man , ;)

By the way, I think ive got the first A/V doo in yb national, club flier lol ;):P:D