Alkaline Water

Tony Marden use to write about adding lime to the water as a prevention for YBS.

Lime would make the water alkaline.

Using alkaline water is against the theory that we should give the birds cider vinegar as this makes the gut acidic which the good bacteria are supposed to favour.

My own view is that all bacteria like stable conditions so moving the pH in any direction should affect them.

Hope this helped not much time as we have a young bird race on at the moment.

Tony Marden use to write about adding lime to the water as a prevention for YBS.

Using alkaline water is against the theory that we should give the birds cider vinegar as this makes the gut acidic which the good bacteria are supposed to favour.

My own view is that all bacteria like stable conditions so moving the pH in any direction should affect them.

Alkaline water is supposed to be better for you they reckon it helps neutralise acids from your body and helps get rid of toxins

Thats what i would like to know, think it would be safe to give to the doos :)

It is hard to see what pH affect either alkaline water or cider vinegar would have on the gut. All guts have 2 things, (1) a stomach that secretes acid and creates the most acidic environment possible, around pH1; and (2) a liver / gall bladder that secretes bile into the small intestine. Bile is an alkali, that just about neutralises the highly acidic stuff fresh from the stomach, and raises the pH level from highly acidic to slightly acidic.

I think cider vinegar will acidify the crop, but will be neutralised in the intestine; alkaline water will be neutralised in the stomach.

It is hard to see what pH affect either alkaline water or cider vinegar would have on the gut. All guts have 2 things, (1) a stomach that secretes acid and creates the most acidic environment possible, around pH1; and (2) a liver / gall bladder that secretes bile into the small intestine. Bile is an alkali, that just about neutralises the highly acidic stuff fresh from the stomach, and raises the pH level from highly acidic to slightly acidic.

I think cider vinegar will acidify the crop, but will be neutralised in the intestine; alkaline water will be neutralised in the stomach.

So what do you think would benefit them better :)

So what do you think would benefit them better :)

There's a lot on the web debunking alkaline water. I use cider vinegar already and it works for me, so will stick with it.