Colli Killer

Guest joshdonlan

I've been told if i get it cut the feed down and put cider vinegar on the corn, but being on deep litter and not 'too clean' should help prevent it.

Guest cloudview

cider vinegar in water josh , 5 ml to a pint , feed depuratve mixed with layers pellets, easy on digestion and full of nutrients . 24 hours each individual showing symptons should be fine .

ybs is nothing to worry about in its self , the secondary infections are the real killers

Ditto Pigeon Pete. I nearly went for it myself ... decided to ask around and waittansee first. Will definately think thrice now, if at all.

Mind I think it is advertised as a preventive as to a cure. Hence as such wouldn't be a cure so if birds were already affected, or carrying, then I think it would be deemed as of no use. But perhaps I will be corrected if wrong.

Guest joshdonlan

Hi Stuart

Ive being changing between cider vinegar and garlic in the water a couple of days a week, but Pieter told me if I get YBS put the vinegar on the corn (no idea why) but im hoping it doesnt come to it.

Will have a chat on Sunday about it ;)

Hi Stuart

Ive being changing between cider vinegar and garlic in the water a couple of days a week, but Pieter told me if I get YBS put the vinegar on the corn (no idea why) but im hoping it doesnt come to it.

Will have a chat on Sunday about it ;)

hi josh,,dont bother m8 with all that crap,,ive used it 3 months soilid ..3 days a week,,plus a very good probiotic twice a week,,if your going to get ybs you will get it m8...atb thou...mark...

Guest Owen

Like IB, I would like to know the active ingredients in this stuff. I would be very grateful if someone could enlighten us all.

Up to now I have been able to hold off this disease by doing the following.

1) very dry deep litter.

2) a mixture of grit, clay blocks, and vitamineral fresh every day.

3) cider vinegar at the rate of one cap to the gallon every day.

4) poultry spice on the food.

5) 50% of the diet is barley.

6) birds that are even slightly slow to trap are not feed at all.

7) birds with any food in the crop are not fed at all.

8) birds of differant ages are not mixed until the younger ones are behaving the same as the older ones.

9) I am always on the hunt for birds that are not keeping up with their mates. Once found they are weeded out.(it costs money to feed them and more money to send for them when they can not make it home)

10)only proven racers are used for breeding, therefore garanteeing that the parent stock is sound.

You know, and I.B is one that have a view that because of it's make up 'Garden Lime' is likely to contribute to Ecoli etc.

Indeed a very good fancier only the week before last, offered me some advice freely on the same lines.

All I can say is that this way, most in our S.Rd Club, put half a handful in the water overnight and let it settle. Y/B sickness seemed never to bother us. Indeed I still fortunately haven't had it.

May add, that the good fanciers advice 2 weeks ago was heeded. However the nest bowls that sit on top of lime are far better in terms of Droppings and clenseliness. Indeed although not taken even internally, it has better youngsters? Why - I know only one answer to Why! Well because, as I believe, it does a very good job of keeping away any nasty's. Yes I use Vikron every day. I also burn the wood etc. where the Drinker sit on. Yes I remove and clean the bowls and nest boxes very day. Yet these nest bowls, the youngster are definately marginally better than those with out. Mind ALL my youngsters so far are very good compared to the past few seasons etc.

Just my thoughts and observations.

You know, and I.B is one that have a view that because of it's make up 'Garden Lime' is likely to contribute to Ecoli etc.

Indeed a very good fancier only the week before last, offered me some advice freely on the same lines.

All I can say is that this way, most in our S.Rd Club, put half a handful in the water overnight and let it settle. Y/B sickness seemed never to bother us. Indeed I still fortunately haven't had it.

May add, that the good fanciers advice 2 weeks ago was heeded. However the nest bowls that sit on top of lime are far better in terms of Droppings and clenseliness. Indeed although not taken even internally, it has better youngsters? Why - I know only one answer to Why! Well because, as I believe, it does a very good job of keeping away any nasty's. Yes I use Vikron every day. I also burn the wood etc. where the Drinker sit on. Yes I remove and clean the bowls and nest boxes very day. Yet these nest bowls, the youngster are definately marginally better than those with out. Mind ALL my youngsters so far are very good compared to the past few seasons etc.

Just my thoughts and observations.

Hi Roland, I think we are talking about different uses. I have used garden & agricultural lime as a floor dressing in my loft. It dries and freshens the floor, and anything on it will also be dried out, lose all its moisture, and so be killed.

I have never used lime in the drinker. If I remember right, I think I commented some years ago on an early post of yours advocating lime in the drinker. Your post came at the same time Gordon Chalmers, your friend and with whom you correspond frequently, published an article (can't remember which one) in which he warned that certain stuff in the drinker (he mentioned milk and lime) create conditions which are favourable to e-coli proliferation. I also think Gordon also inferred his advice applied during an e coli outbreak.

I thought that view warranted caution on using these things in that way. Perhaps you can contact Gordon to see if he still thinks this way?

Garden lime, has now been altered a lot with a certain ingrediant that 'Burned' as such. Which has neen taken out of the Garden lime. Incidently the 'Burning of the Roots in Plants / Flowers etc. was aboo B) Hence why pigeon droppings were never placed direct via good gardeners, but allowed to be washed into the root via the rain, and is mainly used / put down in October etc. YET Garden lime was placed next to the roots ... maybe to keep them warm in the cold weather besides distroying many nasties.

Likewise the LIME placed in the troughs for cattle, and minerals - like the ice block rock salt were frequently obtained and encouraged via fanciers until the 'Crop Spraying' pestilants gave most a worrying scare.

Just look at the Bricks / lime pecked out in buildings frequented via the ferals - which incidently don't do out reputation much good to say the least in regards 'Pigeons' as such.

Yet then, and now, these very same things are often still a boon to our birds. Likewise when race days done fielding was encouraged.

Now I have about 20

Now I have about 20K left to use, which I will. This doesn't burn the eyes as such as it may well have done in the past if left to cloud up with the wind of the birds flying. I used wet it and paint on like a paint. Also rubbed I'd rub it in with a damp cloth. Sweet smelling and one that does good as I believe. But these views, like everyone elses, are mostly from personally expierences, or well intentionally inform. So we al must wiegh up, and decide EVERYDAY just what is our best actions regarding the birds health and condition. JMO.

never had young bird sickness and thats because the way i feed my youngsters,but i have and do use coli killer and was amazed on how they look and acted,there dropping are even better than they was before and my birds droppings are always good,ill carry on using it anyway,i also use it on my widowers and stock birds,youngsters in the nest are great and allert.