all ets systems approved

GREENGRASS

Terrific, so what guidelines are there to be, I would expect an idiots guide to ETS to point out what are the fundamental requirements of a system that is scalable and adaptable and what peripheral software/hardware would enhance it. Now are we to be at the mercy of the best salesmen, rather than what is the best system for all round use?

I suppose my question is fairly simple, what system can I use that

a) can be installed simply without electric

B) can increase or decrease in size

c) that can be used with other ETS systems (so that not every club member has to have the same) but no added equipment is required to read both systems

d) that can down;load in to a computer and be run on a piece of club/fed software to produce a result

Until now I've completely ignored all that's been written, about the why's and wherefores.

Can anyone tell me if there are several ETS that meet the above?

And also what important points have I missed that a good ETS should have?

Thanks

Alan

Invincible spirit

Surely this would mean all regions in the RPRA because if there are national races, the ones in the right areas would have an advantage ( ETS ). As for Wales, aren't you in the Welsh Homing Union? didn't know that was part of RPRA. :-/

Oops just spotted on another thread that there is a welsh region pardon my ignorance

I know alot were against ETS but we have to move with the times and after all we are all using this "internet thing"'plus ETS is easier for the working fancier who can't always be there to clock.,thus increasing birdage which will boost entries which in an apparently declining sport can only be a good thing.

Invincible spirit

Surely this would mean all regions in the RPRA because if there are national races, the ones in the right areas would have an advantage ( ETS ). As for Wales, aren't you in the Welsh Homing Union? didn't know that was part of RPRA. :-/

Oops just spotted on another thread that there is a welsh region pardon my ignorance

lol yea i believe that the welsh region flew south ,they are issued with gb rings....paul :)

This will probably be the start of a lot of arguements/heated discussions (just in case it gets moved) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D but it's here to stay now so it's best to just accept it as we have done in Scotland ;) ;)

Don't know why its going to get ugly, I'm not against it, my post was asking for knowledge about it, That's whats needed from the RPRA not a licence to print money for all and sundry ETS suppliers?

Some constructive answers would really help to get to the bottom of what the best systems are and why?

Hello Alan and everyone,

I was at an ETS mdemo hald by Bricon 3 weks ago and going by what we were told there here is my interpretaion of some of the answer to your questions, all of which where asked at the presentation and pretty satisfactorily answered.

For further details you can also check out the Bricon website at www.bricon.be

I suppose my question is fairly simple, what system can I use that

a) can be installed simply without electric

they can be run of car batteries but it has been found in other countries that the batteries are not reliable at times and have a life for between 3-6 hours.

B) can increase or decrease in size

The Bricon system can be added to with additional antennas (trapping sensors) being added as well as additional clocks etc. To some degree the numbe you can use will be dependent on the type of power supply you can use. 240 V or car batteries

c) that can be used with other ETS systems (so that not every club member has to have the same) but no added equipment is required to read both systems

According to the Bricon salemans their system is the only one on the market at the minute that will allow you to interface the other systems into it at club/ race marking centre level. If any fancier in a club purcahses an ETS from them they will provide  club systems free for charge to that members club, no matter if 1 or 51 members use Bricon systems. Again according to the sales man if you have a club using various ETS systems if you haven't got a Brcion club systems then you will need the various different club systems, master clock etc. for the systems the members are using.

d) that can download in to a computer and be run on a piece of club/fed software to produce a result

Bricon has a computer package avaliable that allows clubs to connect the ETS system to their computer and by running the program all the details on the ETS can be downloaded onto the computer and results etc calculated. Apparently this system if additional hardward is purchased can be used to link T3's to the computer program and dat downloaded also.

All clubs will need a computer printer no matter what system they use and will need access to a computer initially to enter in members ETS ring details and the associated piegons ring number etc corresponding to that ring.

So at the beginning of the season club secretaries / officials are going to be busy typing for a week or two.

Can anyone tell me if there are several ETS that meet the above?

I think at the demo he said there was 5 ETS systems avaliable at the minute

Bricon, Unikon, Benzine, plus 2 others which I can't remember the names off.

And also what important points have I missed that a good ETS should have?

According to the Bricon rep. he said some ET systems only had 2 sheets on their consoles which relates to the ETS rings, while others had 3 sheets. The 3 sheet systems are used in Belgium and Saudi Arabia and are classes as being more secure in terms security etc.

The Bricon system that where demonstated as far as i can remember allowed in one model 4 antennas connected to them and the other 16 I think. Also the smaller model of the 2 allowed 8 flights per week to be recorder (training and / or races) while the larger system allowed 20 flights.

This is only the details I can remember from the demo, I hope I haven't got anything wrong, If anyone spots anything incorrect, please correct it .

Hope this is some help to the members.

PJ

Thank you PJ a great help, probably raiases more questions, but time for bed and food for thought.

Its past now and we must move on, as fanciers we have two choices, ignore it and stay as you are or get it ...................if you're going to get it you need to try and find the best system. That's what I hope this thread will help identify, its ben in Scotland a while and I would hope there would be some posts as to whats been good about a system and whats been bad about it, your help lads would be much appreciated

Thanks

Aaln

Guest TAMMY_1
At todays rpra meetings all the ets systems currently available have been passed for use in the uk, no word on any details regarding rules.

that's great news for everybody

Guest TAMMY_1
forgot to mention there is a rule which states that you can only have a maxium of 3 pads (antenna)per loft. the bricon clock was excepted but they have to revert to using the unives software of the other 5.

dont think this rule applies to the shu or does it greengrass ?

At todays rpra meetings all the ets systems currently available have been passed for use in the uk, no word on any details regarding rules.

who cares about rules ets was in scotland for 2 years without rules so who needs them!

forgot to mention there is a rule which states that you can only have a maxium of 3 pads (antenna)per loft. the bricon clock was excepted but they have to revert to using the unives software of the other 5.

cant see how that will work. I need 4 sensors for old birds because of loft layout. has rpra not field tested the systems like the shu did before approving them. they seem to be rushing into it. i can see problems ahead as too many folk dont know how the systems operate. they should have waited until 2008 to give them time to sort out rules or guidelines.

jade not sure myself until the full list is produced but what did amaze me is that the 3 pads (antenna) could be either a single pad or a double or a quad or 3 quads, and i am sure i saw at blackpool a 6 pad antenna or maybe i had a few too many peroni and it was only a 4 pad  ;D ;D. i believe there will be some rules out shortly.

Electronic Timing

At the February meeting of Council of the RPRA in order to address the Disability Discrimination Act issues it was decided to introduce ETS with effect from 1 July 2007 in order to protect the integrity of the Association.  Council will draw up a  provisional set of rules for use of ETS at the March meeting next month.

Council also decided that all ETS must be compatible for use with each other.  This so that no one club be disadvantaged by having to hold different systems at the club etc.

In order to address this issue all ETS manufacturers will be invited to attend the next meeting of Council and to make a presentation on compatibility.

http://www.rpra.org/News/CurrentNews/tabid/106/mid/461/newsid461/7/Default.aspx