SHOULD I RACE AGAIN OR NOT?

bewted

hi everyone                                 i would like to ask pigeonbasic fanciers there ideas for and against starting back in the sport,last time i raced,many years ago,i got nothing positive about being in the sport eg;rows,threats,arguments,etc,etc,etc                                     i did have put to me to join the BICC,more co-operative and the birds came first,       i did enjoy my birds coming home from a race,knowing they arrived safely,wether i come first or last is immaterial,my bird came home safe,,,,,,,,,,,ps,just give me honest straight forward answers without buls--t please,,,,bewted

I would say yes to starting up again,

i did in 2004 after 12 years out of the sport,  best thing i ever did,

sure you still get the rows and all that, but we do not get involved any more

all we do is race our birds, if we win we win if we dont then we try harder.

There are still plenty of fanciers  out there that will give you help and advice

and we think there are more good points than bad.

and the best feeling is seeing your birds flying around home and happy with in

the loft.  

the site of seeing the birds fold for the loft on returning from a race sends

shivers down the spine.

GO FOR IT YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY

RAY

Im at a point now where I want to pack in, for personal reasons which have occured from pigeons being so tying. The only thing thats really stopping me is the memories of seeing the birds coming back from the channel races (especially when I new I had won LOL). Its a hobby that should really be approx. 3 hours a day 7days/week, 365 days a year. But in reallity they take over you mind and its more like 12 hours a day etc. So if you are like me and get obsessed by things, find another hobby, and have a life as well. I know that there is still a lot of bitching going on in clubs, mine included, but if you have the time (and plenty of money) then I would get back into it. Im seriously considering packing in and keeping a few as pets, with the hope of starting up when Im a lot older and have more time.

I really like the birds, honestly don't know how I'd fill my 'spare' time if I was forced to give them up.

As far as the 'hobby' is concerned I like the fact that you are very much in control. How much time you spend on the birds, and how much money you spend on them is down to you. Shouldn't be allowed to take over your life and shouldn't be your only interest.

Everybody can be a bit strange at times. I think its down to strong club officials and the general membership to make sure its fun and a good atmosphere for everyone. That includes you ... best way to get the things that need changed, changed,  is from within the sport.

I think you have some very good advice bewted, from both sides of the coin. I would most definately get into it again if I were you. But I'm not you. Like has been said, you get out of it what you put in. It doesn't have to cost a lot or take all your time, but it does for me. It does have a cost and it does take time though. As for the negative members causing problems, just stay out of it, keep your comments to yourself so as not to take sides, just listen to them all and fly your birds.

yours in the sport.

Carol

Guest WINGS 04

NO I THINK YOU SHOULD JUST KEEP DOING WHAT YOU ARE DOING AS IF YO START TO LOSE YOUR BIRDS YOU WILL ONLY GET BITTER AND TWISTED WITH THE FED OR RACE CONTROLLER

Dont think I could be without them now, but for me racing them gives me a purpose, a goal to keeping them. I enjoy the breeding side just as much as the racing, but the racing is I suppose why I breed, without it I dont think I'd be so enthusiastic about keeping them, maybe just a couple of pets (then I'd have to find something else to occupy my time..lol :))

hi all                                      thanks for all your welcome comments,when i asked my original question i was on a 50/50 will i or wont i,,,,,now i am on a 60/40 for racing my birds,even though i only have two pair at moment on eggs,i dont want rush into things,but,i am going to check all things first like cost,food,injections,etc,etc,etc,,,,,,,,once again thank you all for replies,so,i might bombard some of you with questions,hope nobody will mind that?    bewted

PS,I forgot to mention,i have been out of the sport for nearly 20 yrs,so,be a bit patient as have a lot to catch upon,,,thanks

My break was 30 years. I think you'll find things have changed a lot. My experience has been the vast majority of fanciers are good humoured, good company and willing to help people like ourselves back into the sport, with advice, equipment & birds.  

Not an easy decision to make, must strongly consider family values/commitments and neighbours.  If you have no problems with either of them, that's a start and I would say " go for it."!!

Lots of nice people in our sport makes it all worthwhile.

hi all fanciers                                       T_T,,,,I have no family value/commitments,as for neighboursthey know better than pick on my pets,,a few found that one out,now no bother at all,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,as for racing again,you lot on pigeonbasics are very persuasive,shame on you haha,,,,,,,,started with 50/50 for,then 60/40 for,,,,NOW 80/20 FOR,,,,YOU LOT ARE TERRIBLE,WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH YOU LOT?  SERIOUSLY,thank you all for the advice,it is much appreciated,,ted            ps,anyone got pure white racers for sale,,,,cheap

• 1 year later...

Start mucker again... can always pack up when your tired of winning too much I suppose. They needmn't be time consuming... Depends on set up and system. I could get away with less than an hour a day easily. Yes so race days means longer waiting for the birds, but then that is the icing on the cake!

Besides it will leave a hole in the guts big time if your doing other folks bidding. My misses moans and makes a point or two every day. But knows that when I'm in the loft - away from her lol - I am at my happiest! So her choice is simple, put up with then and me being happy, and we stay together... or I move where I set me new loft up! Simple choice she has really lol.

Guest Paulo

yeah start again and just ignore the people and concentrate on the birds pigeon politics is a waste of energy just be like me buy a big bolt for your garden gate hate any pigeon man in your club apart from ones who you aren't in direct competion with and just enjoy the birds. ;D

The pigeons is what its all about. I think a lot of the jumped up little hitlers and big heads in the sport forget about that its not them and their egos winning its the bird the pigeon is the star not you.

Best thing i would suggest is take 6-8 youngsters and give it a try i know its a very small team but at least you can bond with the birds and have a better feel for it.If you find its not to your liking still you havnt over burdened yourself.Downside to that suggestion is you will become more sentimental to the birds and if you get a casualty it could be devastating.Just remember your racing for yourself and your birds noone else.I think you have allready made ya mind up though :).