Squirrel trying to get in the flypen

ONLY THE GREY ONES ARE ARE VERMIN ARE THEY NOT.

ARE THE RED ONES NOT PROTECTED BECAUSE THEIR NUMBERS ARE DIMINISHING WITH THE INCOME OF MORE GREY ONES

I have only seen grey ones in the usa. :)

Well I don't like guns round the house, for one too many options then for the wife to kill you and too easy for you to use it on the ma-in-law when she winds you up. Just too easy to get into trouble when guns are about..

Quite right about the red squirrel Tammy, this guy's protected here, endangered species.

Seen greys run along top of my neighbours fences but they can't do that with mine cos there's a hedge stopping them. I had one occasion when one was on top of the loft when the birds were out, this head looked over the apex at me and gave me the fright of my life then realised it was a squirrel.

If you have power supply, suggest try something I've put in last 2/3 months: an ultrasonic animal chaser (which Boddy & Ridewood had on offer at £25) This one keeps dogs cats squirrels rodents out of a 50 foot arc-sweep area in front of it.  Variable frequency range 16-23,000hz and up to 130dB pretty loud so thank goodness humans can't hear it.

Can't do the birds much good when there's a critter jumping about the yard.

Kill them, the grey ones are vermin. An air rifle (pneumatic) is excellent for the job. They are after food, will take eggs and babies in the nest.  Forget their title "Squirrel" they are tree rats.  If they are too fast for you and you fail to hit them on the run, use bait. A pear, such as you can buy in any supermarket, sliced in half, will bring them running and keep them still long enough for you to shoot them. Zero your rifle first !

If you cannot bring yourself to kill pests, follow Bruno's advice and you will keep squirrels, rats, cats, mice etc away from the loft, but constant observance is necessary because ultrasonic transducers "go off scale" if they become damp and they can become less effective. I also have on my loft a grid of half inch "Twilweld" netting, 18 inches wide all round the loft edge, and this is wired to an electric fence generator. Anything touching that, and the "jump on" points round the loft (which are all "earthed" with metal plates, self tapping screws and a copper wire to ground) complete the circuit, and they go straight upwards for several feet when touching it.   I have a similar grid one foot wide, three inches away from the live grid on the loft roof, and this too is earthed. It deals with anything that gets on to the loft without touching the "jump-on points".  The fence generator is boosted a bit higher than usual, it ensures a "once-only" contact by offenders. They stay a long, long way away after touching it the first time. Anyone wishing to test the system is welcome to come and see and try it.