co/ordinations

mosslands1

Not checked mine but that is why you see GPS been pushed at RPRA meetings.  As way loft positions done now is antiquated beyond belife.  I will try taking sat nav down loft that will give long and lat.  You could ask for loft to be repricked though i did it with one of my members years ago and was more than 100 yards :o

I've just done mine,

With the Satnav it's  1.03.27 W     50.47.50 N

The Map one is      1.03.22.17 W   50.47.48.44 N

Google Earth is      1.03.27.18 W     50.47. 50.55

Both the electronic methods are close together , but the map measured one is quite a way out.

I know the pinprick is accurate because I'm end-of terrace, so if there is an error it is in the measuring of the map at the RPRA end or the accuracy of the map whether it has shrunk or stretched over the years.

Roll on GPS mapping.

hiya all i have just checked my loft location on google earth and iam 100 yards east of my loft has anyone else checked theirs . if so are they correct
:o Google earth renowned for being in-accurate Peter . my own Wrexham fed will not accept readings ,along with all my (past) club members we had to pay a surveyor to visit and do locations .  :B                           andy

I've just done mine,

With the Satnav it's  1.03.27 W     50.47.50 N

The Map one is      1.03.22.17 W   50.47.48.44 N

Google Earth is      1.03.27.18 W     50.47. 50.55

Both the electronic methods are close together , but the map measured one is quite a way out.

I know the pinprick is accurate because I'm end-of terrace, so if there is an error it is in the measuring of the map at the RPRA end or the accuracy of the map whether it has shrunk or stretched over the years.

Roll on GPS mapping.

I've just checked my loft location on

http://maps.live.com/

Local.live      1.03.27.33 W    50.47.50.57 N  

All the electronic ones are consistent.

I've checked some others and found more differences.

You will find that most measurements with google are wrong it is best to ignore them, the best way is with GPS, but at the moment RPRA do not accept these.

Paul

I repositioned all of our club last year using GPS thinking it was going to pass but it didnt so we had to go with the old method you would would be alarmed at the difference we had one member that was 500yds out and i know of one other that is much further than that so in my oppinion it has to pass this year the 100 year old way is obsolete and would have cost the 500yds man 3 races last season alone !!!!!!!!!!!!!

at the moment the rpra will only take mao readings they do not accept gps or google earth

STRANGE!!!!!!!!!!!. Could you please explain to me the reasons why they do not except GPS readings etc, (strange attitude) in my view in this eviroment that we live & race our birds today, GPS is the most accurate system for what I have seen for many a year, for plotting everyones loft position & also the distances from all the race points etc to ones loft.

Enjoy.

STRANGE!!!!!!!!!!!. Could you please explain to me the reasons why they do not except GPS readings etc, (strange attitude) in my view in this eviroment that we live & race our birds today, GPS is the most accurate system for what I have seen for many a year, for plotting everyones loft position & also the distances from all the race points etc to ones loft.

Enjoy.

How does the GPS mapping work, do you get a GPS receiver and take it to your loft, is there a database with you position on it? ie post codes(what if your loft does not have a post code ie in a field or alotment) or grid reference ???

I was told that GPS is a military tool. For it to be pin point accurate 4 satellites have to be used one of which currently belongs to the military (which civilian GPS’s cant access) . The co ordinates we get are purposely off set in case this technology was used against ourselves in war.

Who said Bunkum!! lol it may just well be that  :D

Was deliberately innacruate  a few years back because of it being used via terroist etc. Now that is an obsolete thing now.

in Canada if the bring the birds back for wahtever reason, they will just set up where it is good to do so and take the GPS reading and let the birds go.

Would save some site fees here if we did that.

Likewise  - due to the distances between flyers and clubs, with the ET they can just send via Eamail their timing in etc. and all have a fair reading back that same nighgt. But of course all rteadings must be verified at the club next weeks marking etc.

silly me,  ;D allways thought a distance was a straight line from a.   to   b.   when in fact ,, old chriss columbus ;D ;D ;D [deceased ;D] found out years ago that this was not the fact :)  as the world is round , the true distances are actualy in an arc , which at 600 miles can make a differance ,,,,well your never to old to learn ;D [and admit it ;D]

I was told that GPS is a military tool. For it to be pin point accurate 4 satellites have to be used one of which currently belongs to the military (which civilian GPS’s cant access) . The co ordinates we get are purposely off set in case this technology was used against ourselves in war.

Who said Bunkum!! lol it may just well be that  :D

correct, there is a deferment which is set by the military

Was deliberately innacruate  a few years back because of it being used via terroist etc. Now that is an obsolete thing now.

in Canada if the bring the birds back for wahtever reason, they will just set up where it is good to do so and take the GPS reading and let the birds go.

Would save some site fees here if we did that.

Likewise  - due to the distances between flyers and clubs, with the ET they can just send via Eamail their timing in etc. and all have a fair reading back that same nighgt. But of course all rteadings must be verified at the club next weeks marking etc.

roly ,thats still the case , the power's that be can set the deferment to

what ever they feel for inche's or mile's , the yanke's and NATO controle all the sat's , up there, except the russki one's , their system of gps leave's much to be desired,

Thats correct the army( USA) when they brought it out delibertley made a 200/300 yds discrepency for obivious reasons but the new brisish satalites are working now and are acurate to under 10 yds

silly me,  ;D allways thought a distance was a straight line from a.   to   b.   when in fact ,, old chriss columbus ;D ;D ;D [deceased ;D] found out years ago that this was not the fact :)  as the world is round , the true distances are actualy in an arc , which at 600 miles can make a differance ,,,,well your never to old to learn ;D [and admit it ;D]

Is it!!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D, you learn something new every day, I'm  :o to find that out ?  at this late stage in life  ;D ;D ;D

GPS, "Yes" they do plot every flyers position in their back yard etc, via  the satilites above, but as Roland mentioned the big bonus is on race day etc if for some reason the birds can not be liberated at the designated liberation point. They just move to a position if possible where the birds can be liberated, & plot a new distance for everyone via computers & GPS in minutes, so that when you present your clock for the pullover, everything is worked out as normal.

GPS  belongs in the same boat as E-CLOCKS !!!!!!! & anyone who does not see them as an advancement for our sport in this day & age, must be a bit like an ostrich, which I find a bit  :(.

Enjoy

PS, If there happens to be any ostriches here !!!!!!!! :D :D :D I'm lucky I live where I do. So you will never be able to catch me  ;D ;D ;D fortunately.