black nest felts danger

just ask me

lads just to let u know only heard that these are causing deaths in young ones it seems this to be ok if the nest is build up high don't know how much truth is in it but came from a good source i was lucky as eggs not hatched yet but heard there are a lot of deaths around the place put down to these the brown felts are ok just the black ones anyone else heard any thing thought id put it up here as u never know

I know of two fanciers local to me that have lost all bar a couple of babies (1-2 day old) in the nest and yes they use black nest felts. I removed mine today as I got mine from the same source.

Guest chrisss
There is several black nest felts on the market can you be more specific as to which ones

very good point there is it a certain area or what?

vallance not to sure just heard this i really wouldn't take the chance with any of them seems to cover most of Europe as far as iknow i know very little about it seems these were made in far east cheap labour in all that all i can tell u more sorry but really i wouldent take the change with any of them  sorry i dont have more info

Guest chrisss
its unlikely it will be an area or not as most pigeon men buy there felts from Blackpool however i would presume it was one manufacturer so am hoping people may elaborate where these nest felts can be bought from.

yes sorry mate what i meant was are they brought form a certain area IE contaminated

Guest TAMMY_1
There is several black nest felts on the market can you be more specific as to which ones

Hope it wasn't the ones off your stall that your boss was trying to sell to Chrissy and myself at Blackpool show  ;D ;D ;D

I dont think it was tammy i hope not as i am using them myself although i am going to have a good scoot through all my birds tomorrow.

Another site i have been on has a lot more detail on this situation with mixed opinions.

I have not had problems with them in th years i have used them but i think i will be withdrawing them from the loft as a precaution

There was a thread 2 years or so ago on nestfelts causing deaths in USA. They were apparently contaminated with bacteria in the manufacturing process? They were a carpet-underlay type?

There was also information on the light-brown 'horse-hair carpet underlay' nestfelt, it unravels and the threads can trap youngsters toes.

The black nest felt that I use is Thibo latex-bound sold in packs of 10s by B&R. They are washable and can be soaked in disinfectant etc. I've had the same batch of nest felts now for 5 years?  (previously used the  light-brown 'horse-hair carpet underlay' ones, they went in the bin after 1 year). I wash & disinfect them at the end of every year along with the baskets and nest bowls. No youngsters die in my nest bowls..

There was a thread 2 years or so ago on nestfelts causing deaths in USA. They were apparently contaminated with bacteria in the manufacturing process? They were a carpet-underlay type?

There was also information on the light-brown 'horse-hair carpet underlay' nestfelt, it unravels and the threads can trap youngsters toes.

The black nest felt that I use is Thibo latex-bound sold in packs of 10s by B&R. They are washable and can be soaked in disinfectant etc. I've had the same batch of nest felts now for 5 years?  (previously used the  light-brown 'horse-hair carpet underlay' ones, they went in the bin after 1 year). I wash & disinfect them at the end of every year along with the baskets and nest bowls. No youngsters die in my nest bowls..

use the same felts , as you say last for year's , good washing in vikron-s or any good disinfectant , no probs