shu/ypres race

GUTTY HEN

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gareth Rankin

Bart and Delboy

It was just a guess but have since checked it on google earth and i was wrong it should be 78 miles 860 yards. ;D ;D ;D  

Guest Gareth Rankin
Gareth was right. 80 miles of water hitting the mainland just above Ipswich.Distance to Kirkintilloch, Glasgow is 455 mls

Yes Delboy we fly 440 but as you well know the last 15 miles to Kirkintilloch are all down hill from Larkhall. ;) ;) ;)

Guest Gareth Rankin

youve measured to a bloke in a boat a mile off shore.I was right 80 miles.lol

;D ;D ;D ;D

Yes you a further east on the line of flight so you will be correct to your location.

P.S do you know the guy on the boat????

delboy gareth

where do you think the birds will cross and at what point would you reckon the would make land

Hi Bart, providing the birds held their line, they would fly approx 20 miles from Ypres to the coast and then have approx 80 miles of water, hitting the British mainland at Ipswich.Then they have another 355 miles to Glasgow.

Cheers

Derek

now that its been confirmed that no suspended members will be allowed to compete in the YPRES race ,and the late invitation too all organisations i honestly feel that the s.n.f.c. have left them selves open for some criticism having been told by the P.R.O.  that its open to everybody in SCOTLAND , and the U.K.  to compete in  when organisations throughout the u.k. have there programme made out for the season and another thing is the fact of where do the s.h.u. have £1,000 to give away  ,

now that its been confirmed that no suspended members will be allowed to compete in the YPRES race ,and the late invitation too all organisations i honestly feel that the s.n.f.c. have left them selves open for some criticism having been told by the P.R.O.  that its open to everybody in SCOTLAND , and the U.K.  to compete in  when organisations throughout the u.k. have there programme made out for the season and another thing is the fact of where do the s.h.u. have £1,000 to give away  ,

JESUS HARRY, GIVE UP ON YOUR QUEST THAT ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT IN IS BAD,SAD,BENT,CROOKED,CORRUPTED     FLY YIR DOOS HARRY COS YOU ARE OK AT THAT    ENJOY THEM AS LONG AS YOU CAN  THATS WHY WE ALL KEEP THEM

ENJOYMENT

Hi Bart, providing the birds held their line, they would fly approx 20 miles from Ypres to the coast and then have approx 80 miles of water, hitting the British mainland at Ipswich.Then they have another 355 miles to Glasgow.

Cheers

Derek

80 Miles ??????  ;D ;D ;D of water etc "Impossible", Boy you are a brave lot  :P :P :P now.  :D :D :D So adventurous, one might say  ;) ;) ;) Here in my back yard !!!!!!. We will wack them up into a gale force head wind at times, & allow them, the pleasure & enjoyment of doing 200+ miles, just for a bit of fun  ;) ;) ;).

PS. On the odd occasion here, birds have been reported down in the antarctic etc. Must of had web feet to get there  ;) ;) ;) But it just shows you, what they can do at times.

Enjoy.

80 Miles ??????  ;D ;D ;D of water etc "Impossible", Boy you are a brave lot  :P :P :P now.  :D :D :D So adventurous, one might say  ;) ;) ;) Here in my back yard !!!!!!. We will wack them up into a gale force head wind at times, & allow them, the pleasure & enjoyment of doing 200+ miles, just for a bit of fun  ;) ;) ;).

PS. On the odd occasion here, birds have been reported down in the antarctic etc. Must of had web feet to get there  ;) ;) ;) But it just shows you, what they can do at times.

Enjoy.

I think it is too easy to look at a map and say sea crossing is 'X' miles of open water. A few years ago down the club house we looked at Lille (465 miles) on the race point map , and thought much the same, 'its only' but as a respected distance flier pointed out, if its a prevailing wind (SW) , then the birds will be carried well east into the North Sea ' before they know it'.  

Also I thought birds striking North from Ypres made Ostend the spingboard for the sea crossing?

LT - birds that race 500+ miles South into England from the Shetland Isles north of Scotland are reckoned to face 200 miles of open sea before making landfall ; there was another race point north of that again, the Faroe Isles, which was maybe another 200 miles of open sea north of Shetlands? Thats close to the Arctic Circle, and Hogni country.  ;D

I think it is too easy to look at a map and say sea crossing is 'X' miles of open water. A few years ago down the club house we looked at Lille (465 miles) on the race point map , and thought much the same, 'its only' but as a respected distance flier pointed out, if its a prevailing wind (SW) , then the birds will be carried well east into the North Sea ' before they know it'.  

Also I thought birds striking North from Ypres made Ostend the spingboard for the sea crossing?

LT - birds that race 500+ miles South into England from the Shetland Isles north of Scotland are reckoned to face 200 miles of open sea before making landfall ; there was another race point north of that again, the Faroe Isles, which was maybe another 200 miles of open sea north of Shetlands? Thats close to the Arctic Circle, and Hogni country.  ;D

In 2001 the SNFC flew their Gold Cup race from Liege in Belgium.They were liberated in a w.s.w wind and 1st Open went to Les Mckay of Carnoustie, flying 529mls approx.I spoke to Les and he confirmed to me that his bird came off the North Sea.On a straight line from coast to coast Les s bird flew approx 419 miles of water, now that is with no wind.The wind was wsw, actually blowing the birds even further into the North Sea.So, in fact his gallant pigeon may have even flown more miles without hitting the mainland.This particular race, although very hard, turned out to be a very fair one as 7 region winners were in the top 10 Open.

One of my clubmates Sandy Watson went to both of those races: He was 7th Open Liege and  (I think) 7th Open SCC Brussels.

Delboy, I remember the Liege race, but didn't know the wind was WSW, Agree sounds as if Les's pigeon was over water for most of the race. Excellent performance.

LT - I missed telling you about the wind for Shetland - the English birds racing South do so into a headwind. Prevailing wind is SW, so they too are being forced east into North Sea. Hjaltland on here is the main man on Shetland for looking after the Lerwick race birds.

One of my clubmates Sandy Watson went to both of those races: He was 7th Open Liege and  (I think) 7th Open SCC Brussels.

Delboy, I remember the Liege race, but didn't know the wind was WSW, Agree sounds as if Les's pigeon was over water for most of the race. Excellent performance.

LT - I missed telling you about the wind for Shetland - the English birds racing South do so into a headwind. Prevailing wind is SW, so they too are being forced east into North Sea. Hjaltland on here is the main man on Shetland for looking after the Lerwick race birds.

delboy has a very softspot for this race IB as he was just in front of sandy with ist section 5th open, thats definate as he has told me 500 times!! :) :) :) :) ;D ;D

IB, Sandy Watson was 9th Open Liege, the reason I know this is because, the then President of the SNFC Jim O,Hara was 7th.I was fortunate enough to be 1st west section 5th Open that day.

Cheers

delboy has a very softspot for this race IB as he was just in front of sandy with ist section 5th open, thats definate as he has told me 500 times!! :) :) :) :) ;D ;D

Well he is a very good long distance fancier is Derek ;) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)