Aged Stock Birds Be Aware

budgie

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its been with diffrent cocks but he only flys mnfc and what she as breed have done well in the races so its the hen not the cock that breeds the goods but i hope to find this out next year as you know people do well with birds then sell them and new owners do not get same out of them as we all fly diffrent ways but thats just the way i look at things

At the end of the day, we have all payed high prices for birds that have turned out to be inferior to what we have already got. So what's the answer? As the majority of people on here seem to agree, in principle, that we all keep birds that are inferior, surely the onus is on the buyer, and not the seller. If we didn't purchase these inferior birds at inflated prices, the seller would have no choice but to make rose manure of them. Having said that, NOT all pigeon men are out for a 'quick buck' there are many genuine fanciers, who give good birds away to help others.  These are the true pigeon men, who are in it for the fancy and not their own pockets

.............................................Just my opinion.....................................

its been with diffrent cocks but he only flys mnfc and what she as breed have done well in the races so its the hen not the cock that breeds the goods but i hope to find this out next year as you know people do well with birds then sell them and new owners do not get same out of them as we all fly diffrent ways but thats just the way i look at things

you can only but try,good luck

Guest strapper

its healthy to have different views , otherwise the world would be boring.

this is a good thread so lets keep it civil and it could possibly turn out to be a multi post on this thread..all the best ..paul.

its healthy to have different views , otherwise the world would be boring.

this is a good thread so lets keep it civil and it could possibly turn out to be a multi post on this thread..all the best ..paul.

I fully endorse your comments Paul ................. my sentiments entirely

Phil you are on the right track and i agree with your comments but how many pr-potent pairs are for sell and at 3years old if there is nothing in the loft left why call them stock pigeons.If they are not leaving anything why sell them on to fanciers less unfortunate than ourselves because within another three years these fanciers will leave the sport.

Another angle to this is how many succesful fanciers don't retire birds from the race loft to the stock loft until they are 3 or 4 years old?

They may have many wins to there names but are untried at stock, are these likely to contribute to your 98% rubbish?

I wouldnt judge a stock pigeons potential until it was atleast 2-3 years old.

however, buying a 10 year old pigeon would be very risky, due to the fact that it could stop breeding anytime.

personally, I only buy youngsters unless I want a pigeon from an entire clearance sale.

this will give you a fairer chance. :)

Shadow

Why should we be buying 10 yr old stock pigeons.It goes back to my theory of the 98% Sh-te and how many pre-potent pairs are going around or are for sale.

its suprising how many novices do when they read the hype about the birds :)

If I have 1 four year old and have bred 40 per year for the last 4 years. That makes 98% figure seem too small to me. Winners have come and gone. but he is the only one that has stood the test of time, winning inland, flying Perth on the north, Pau and Palamos on the south. I have bought stock in last year, as we moved house. These stock birds will be out next year whatever. I aint got the room, and if they are any good the blood will show and quality will tell. I wouldn't sell anything at any price if it were not good eneough for me.

time opatance and decent fancyer means good birds at anyage take me slovenly round loft hap hazard training race every race lose loads so give um away now why are same birds i gave away scoreing but not for me why are they producing for others mind you i enjoy that more than me winning  ;D ;D ;Di can sell um thousands    at moment my mate top flyer has janarden cock that has bred two to top fed 2000plus birds 3 or 4 club wins open winner he is getting shot 80quid why its no use to him as he changed roads and only wants out and out sprint birds now

time opatance and decent fancyer means good birds at anyage take me slovenly round loft hap hazard training race every race lose loads so give um away now why are same birds i gave away scoreing but not for me why are they producing for others mind you i enjoy that more than me winning  ;D ;D ;Di can sell um thousands    at moment my mate top flyer has janarden cock that has bred two to top fed 2000plus birds 3 or 4 club wins open winner he is getting shot 80quid why its no use to him as he changed roads and only wants out and out sprint birds now

Chris this cock is in the 2% good range and is worth buying.Do you know the age of the Cock, what lines he is from and has he been sold. ;)

Guest challengerlofts
how many flyer have a 10year old bird in there loft at this moment.

just got from Louella. got 3 hens to choose from (2 jan aarden hens & jan aarden x staf van reet). ;)

Guest challengerlofts
how many flyer have a 10year old bird in there loft at this moment.

got from Louella. he got 3 hens to choose from (2 jan aarden hens & jan aarden x staf van reet). ;)

I think the only issue here is that the older the bird is the greater the risk. Greater the risk it will breed nothing, become infertile or even drop dead!

Over the yeras i have this happen to younger birds (less than 5) too, had em go barren at 4 drop dead at any age and plenty seem to breed nowt too!

Once had a old grooter cock given to us, had bred nothing, he paired by his own choice to a latebred hen bred by Rocco Hacon. From the six we bred they all won cards as Ybs including 1,2 first Yb race, and went on to breed a lot of good birds including a cock that won bergerac 5 or 6 times! Surprisely the previous owner wanted him back and so he went and again bred him nowt!!