EVERYONE

chris h

what does everyone do with there doo's when the racing is finished?does anyone fly them apart from round the loft?

Lock them up,separate them and let them out occasionally. ;)

what does everyone do with there doo's when the racing is finished?does anyone fly them apart from round the loft?

just round the loft for me chris

unless im training latebreds

some race them in a race on xmas day in the edinburgh area i think :-/ :-/ :-/

I do as Vincent Smith does. I may enter a couple of the Stock Birds into the Shows for a bit of fun later on. My main activity is to select the ones I want to keep and cut the numbers down to what I want. The main thing is to give them a rest so that they will be in the best condition possible ready for a strenuous year to come next year.

And of course there is the loft. I usually spend a lot of time altering and repairing the loft. That is a job I like to get under hand before the weather gets too cold. And it is not what I will want to do next Spring when I would have to dodge the showers. Then there are the nest pans and loft fittings. Who would want to use dirty nest pans? And who would want the job of washing them in cold weather?

My other preoccupation, is to look for good pigeons that could do me some good as breeders. Finding good pigeons is very difficult, I find. I can find plenty that are said to be sons and daughters of godness knows what but proven good pigeons backed up by the cards that they have won are a differant thing. I was reading the adverts for the birds for sale today. Pages of it. And bird after bird was offered without it ever having done a tap. There was a time I would have tried some of them out. But, it usually ended up in disappointment. These days I am afraid I do not trust anything that I read when it is written by Sales People. I will always ring the Club or Fed Sec and ask about the Fancier's record. It is very enlightening, Ive found.

Only got around to splitting my birds up yesterday, so from now on the hens are confined to the loft, however the cocks are in their lofts that they will race to next year, so will let them out now and again, to teach the youngsters(next years yearlings) to trap to a new section/loft ;)

Guest TAMMY_1

Liz and myself do a lot of shows over the coming months culminating at Blackpool.