why do i bother

Guest bakes

i seriously cant see lard and salt doing anything to deter bops , salt if very high amounts will kill any living thing , sparrows and other small birds are fed lard seed balls recommended during winter months well there should be plenty around they eat the lard , only mix that works is  lead at high speed  ;)

i seriously cant see lard and salt doing anything to deter bops , salt if very high amounts will kill any living thing , sparrows and other small birds are fed lard seed balls recommended during winter months well there should be plenty around they eat the lard , only mix that works is  lead at high speed  ;)

I think in the recipe the lard is to stick the salt, not to much now as it can damage the kidneys and liver ;) ;D

I think in the recipe the lard is to stick the salt, not to much now as it can damage the kidneys and liver ;) ;D

there wouldnt be enough salt to kill it  and if hungry will certainly eat it , they only have a certain number of strikes before they've ran out of energy , most salt be on the feathers not on birds skin bops dont eat feathers  :-/ and also what damage does this do to the pigeon as can be absorbed through the skin ?????

sorry to hear this bakes but as stated above theres still pleanty of time to get

them ready for raceing ive lost two birds in a week they wont go back out now

till i sort the hark out the others will be back keep at it m8 it will all be worth it

when you start raceing and winning best of luck :)

some of us have had it like that for over 25 years Bakes  >:( >:(

you just have to try and work round it.

all you guys in the cities are now getting it the same as everyone else has had for years

unfortunatly

some of us have had it like that for over 25 years Bakes  >:( >:(

you just have to try and work round it.

all you guys in the cities are now getting it the same as everyone else has had for years

unfortunatly

2nd time for me in over 30 years :-/

2nd time for me in over 30 years :-/

since i started up in july last year ive lost 12ybs to pergine or sparrow hawk or goshawk most morning you see the goshawk up hunting along the woodland near were i live hen sparrow hawk going up and down the back gardens and pair of pergrines that come from near by quarry so im surrounded by pob if i sort 1 out another will move in what ever happens looks like ive iver got to shut up or pack up as im only a small team flyer i cant keep up with breeding 60 to 100 ybs each year im more 20 to 30 so if i have a bad nock like ive been getting im more or less on batter bits before i even start raceing the goverment not bothered about pob numbers as rspb have got there tongues so far up goverments arses if they spit it be coming out there mouths what ive seen since ive had racers is its going down fastly due to pob numbers and not alot of people can keep affording to pay out just to be pob dinner.

Klaus dont have them out till the other lads around you have had theirs out or better still keep your eye out till you see it make a kill if its still bothering you the only other way is birds up road training back and in then hopefully the bop will move elsewhre for its regular meals one of my mates trains 25 miles every day and does not have them out at all free flying and he flies as good as anybody hope this helps

Klaus dont have them out till the other lads around you have had theirs out or better still keep your eye out till you see it make a kill if its still bothering you the only other way is birds up road training back and in then hopefully the bop will move elsewhre for its regular meals one of my mates trains 25 miles every day and does not have them out at all free flying and he flies as good as anybody hope this helps

i try that keeping them in now i'll train them from warwick near the roundabout again the bloke on queeny must be doing his nut in seen 3 pergrine attack on his birds other month his birds fly more or less same area as mine bottom of queeny park new estate then over buckshill cemetry thats were the pergrine attacks are happeing over the cemetry theres a pair of sparrow hawks nesting in the big conifer tree other year goshawks are coming from queeny woods and pergrines from quarry off the black track that goes from near mine all up to hartshill.

Sorry to hear of your problems with the raptors m8, i use to fly raptors did so for many yrs anyway that's beside the point in all honesty there is nothing you can do to stop them legally nor illegally if you could the pigeon fancier would not have a problem m8, because no doubt we would all take the illegal road to wipe out the problem.... Not saying this would work m8 but anything is worth a go to try and keep the raptors  at bay i have  heard the presents of a couple of scarecrows placed in the garden being moved around the garden, a dog roaming about the garden whist your birds are out may deter a raptor strike... Excessive sudden noise may also deter the raptor when you see it but will also spook your birds if there out...   I def know a raptor and a corvid do not see eye to eye so maybe a few decoys of corvids placed around the garden being moved from one place to another will deter a strike.. If the Raptor feels threatened it will move on...Just means getting your pigeons  use to the above methods, if you do let me know how you get on  i hope you find a method to deter them all the best m8....................

Yes you rub it well in. Pigeons drink water, so no problem to them if they did preen any as such. Now Hawks / B O.P don't drink water! They can't shift it full stop.

So the salt plays havoc and they can't shift it.

was a time when any carcase any where bin fields were doused with salt ... Like that is good when a Sparrow Hawk hen comes back a she will after being disturbed from it's kill.

Was how the land was cleared of B.O.P. etc.

Most don't realise that Peregrines are also scavagers, and won't mist up a carcass, especially if feeding young.

Youngster of Peregrines are now attacking their parents for food. Many are bold around the shoulders / necks etc. when rearing youngsters.

The RSPB and the RSPCA copied this line of salt. They thought and advocated it as a good thing as a detterent to pigeons being taken.... How so very true!

Rainy days means Peregrinces are sitting and waiting... first lapse of rain and they are up.

Yes you rub it well in. Pigeons drink water, so no problem to them if they did preen any as such. Now Hawks / B O.P don't drink water! They can't shift it full stop.

So the salt plays havoc and they can't shift it.

was a time when any carcase any where bin fields were doused with salt ... Like that is good when a Sparrow Hawk hen comes back a she will after being disturbed from it's kill.

Was how the land was cleared of B.O.P. etc.

Most don't realise that Peregrines are also scavagers, and won't mist up a carcass, especially if feeding young.

Youngster of Peregrines are now attacking their parents for food. Many are bold around the shoulders / necks etc. when rearing youngsters.

The RSPB and the RSPCA copied this line of salt. They thought and advocated it as a good thing as a detterent to pigeons being taken.... How so very true!

Rainy days means Peregrinces are sitting and waiting... first lapse of rain and they are up.

BOPS DONT DRINK !!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgJEcx9RJLM