BARLEY

murphy

Hi,

Can anybody let me know if we are doing the correct thing?

When the moult completes and all birds have fully grown their end flight i use 100% barlry until 2 weeks before i pair up.i feed alot of barley normally anyway.my theory behind the 100% is because like wild birds they are just ticking over and dont require supreme fitness during the winter.my birds look really well and can win shows when fed this way and also do well racing which tells me the winter barley feeding doesnt harm them.just curious to what you think.Iwould like to hear Mike Lyccetts views as i know he is a good fancier.

Regards

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can`t beat it murph,if you put your hens on3/4oz per day after the moult,they will get better and better,i`ve even put them on 1/2oz for over 4 weeks,and they give you goose pimples,they look that good,shimmering,and as they walk they seem to float across the floor,but take it longer,even thou they look magnificent,if you pick them up to examine them,you will noticed their flesh turns blue(so much for the crap about barley gives pink flesh)which myself being no medical man,i think the blue tinge comes from themselves breaking down their own muscle for the protein...by the way,you can race on barley,you`ll be very suprised how they stay in good nick

I really haven't made up my mind what I'll be feeding the birds this winter. I've so few birds left that it looks as if my half bin of beans and half bin of moulting mix (mixed) might take them to the end of the year.

Last winter : beans   Winter before : depurative   Winters before that : Breeders.

Of the 3 I've tried, I prefer Breeders because I thought the youngsters first class; and I'll never do depurative again.. didn't like the youngsters 'finish' and their parents disappeared like snow off a dyke in sunshine, during their first few races.

Don't think there's a lot of calories / sustainance in barley on its own, and I don't keep the birds in, mine's is an 'open' loft - as against a closed heated loft - and it does get pretty cold up here.

I do know a lot of fanciers swear by barley, but I think they feed it for a few weeks only, rather than the whole winter, as Westy says, to bring the hens 'down' for breeding ... and agree with you, shouldn't let them get fat in the first place.

Ed

We got a supply of Malt Barley from our local Micro Brewery and found it far too rich for the birds if fed 100% we would cut it 50/50 with 14% protein mix, but I much prefer the standard barley bought from the local feed store for 6 bucks about 3 quid) for a 50-lb bag

Guest TAMMY_1

BARLEY AND WHEAT THAT I USE COMES FROM A LOCAL FARMER DELIVERED TO YOUR DOOR FOR £3-50 A BAG , MEANT TO BE 25 KILO BAGS BUT HE FILLS THEM RIGHT TO THE TOP AND THERE IS A LOT MORE THAN 25 KILOS IN THEM, BRING THEM ANY TIME YOU WANT AND PUTS THEM WHERE YOU ASK, OTHER MEMBERS IN MY CLUB , THE RICH ONES I AM THE ONLY POOR ONE, ARE HAPPY TO PAY 5 OR 6 QUID FOR TWENTY KILO BAGS OF THE SAME .

Guest slugmonkey

I only use 10% barley max and never during race season only at last of YB's routing I let birds fly out from end of YB season until I start OB training and give them more CORN when its cold I kick my birds out everyday ( snow, rain, fog, sleet, whatever, they dont have to stay out only fly out and trap back in ) a lot of guys in our club cut back rations in the off season this time of year is when you win tough races by building stamina the cold imparts stress why not let them eat all they want and learn to love home ????

Guest TAMMY_1
I only use 10% barley max and never during race season only at last of YB's routing I let birds fly out from end of YB season until I start OB training and give them more CORN when its cold I kick my birds out everyday ( snow, rain, fog, sleet, whatever, they dont have to stay out only fly out and trap back in ) a lot of guys in our club cut back rations in the off season this time of year is when you win tough races by building stamina the cold imparts stress why not let them eat all they want and learn to love home ????

AGREE HERE ,SAME IN OUR CLUB SOME CUT DOWN THE FEEDING DURING WINTER AND THIS IS WHEN I THINK THEY NEED EXTRA FEED WHEN IT IS COLDER

Barley definately seems to keep them in better condition in the winter lazy months, but I lost a lot of yearlings in the early races this year after having them on 50% barley last winter. Now I dont know if its due to the barley or lack of racing as YBs, but it was hard to get any decent shape into them. I used to feed mine on full best allround mix and rarely lost birds on that system + they allways did well in head winds.

beans are as good as anything for the winter. Barley is crap they used to feed it to roman legionaires as a punishment. Good for getting weight off but so is beans as keeps pigeons in good nick as they only eat what they need but plenty of protein to stop muscles from breaking down. If you want to water the protein content of corn down use wheat.

Guest stevie-b

i would recomend the best malting barley you can get your hands on mixed with versa-laga all round minture 75%allround 25%barley allways remember humas eat a little more in the winter as do pigeons its very very easy to take weight off your cocksand hens so you dont have to feed barley at all untill 21 days before you pair up

Guest anthony

I feed barley in the morning from Sunday till Thursday,in the evening feed racing mix and Fridays(basketing day) and Saturday(race day) I feed racing mornings and evening.I have tried a lot of feeding systems,what I learned is that it is not what you feed that matters most but the health of your birds.

BARLEY IS   PROTIEN 12.7%

CARBOOHYDRATE 66.6%

WATER 10.6%

FIBRE 5.4%

FAT 1.9%

PS...TAKEN FROM THE SITE DOWNLOAD SECTION ;) ;) ;) ;)

Guest TAMMY_1
BARLEY IS   PROTIEN 12.7%

CARBOOHYDRATE 66.6%

WATER 10.6%

FIBRE 5.4%

FAT 1.9%

PS...TAKEN FROM THE SITE DOWNLOAD SECTION ;) ;) ;) ;)

ONLY THEIR SPELLING IS BETTER THAN YOURS,, WHAT IS CARBOOHYDRATE

DON'T THINK YOU ARE LAUGHING AT ME ALL THE TIME DAFTY