racing pigeons sensing natural disasters

hello

ive seen many programmes on the telly about natural disasters (earthquakes , floods e.t.c) and they have been explaining that a racing pigeon knows when a dister is going to happen because a fancier in the u.s.a let his pigeons out and he had champions and they just disappeared and he hasnt seen them since and about 3 days later there was an earthquake there was much more on this programme however i didn't fully watch it so i might be wrong in places so can the other forum members kindly correct me if iv got things wrong.

kind regards

paul carter

personnally i think they glamorise it on telly but who knows? no one actually knows how they find they way home they thinks its a mixture of the sun, the earths magnetic field and something else that i can't remember :B :B :B :B :B

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
its true animals seem to sense natural disasters!

when the tsunami happened it was reported that all the cows and land animals escaped to higher ground somehow.

:P

i thinks all animals can sence natural disaters aswell i can tell when we are going to have thunder because my dog  comes up to me and wont leave my feet.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

a lot of animals sense if there is a disaster coming. like for example earthquake. dogs howl, snakes from underground goes to trees, chickens become noisy. i dont know about pigeons, maybe if we will be observant about pigeons, maybe we can discover if they really sense if some disaster is coming.

A few years ago, we were racing from Battleground Washington State, where there had been a small earthquake the day before.

Race day was a perfect day for racing the 188 miles,but something affected the birds, the winner did 790 yards a minute with a slight tailwind.

The year before there was a 6.5 quake in Seattle which was felt up to the Canadian Border, Steve and I never felt a thing as we lived on top of a hill, the village down the road felt it quite severely but our birds went very very quiet and still and the dog hid under the loft.

Could well be right, I sense danger when I see thunder on my girl friends face lol

But why not! It is reckoned that we have stopped using parts of our bodies, like the pendics' etc. and our sense are supposedly a lot less adequate to what they were due to lack of using them, so, perhaps the animal and creature lives had kept theirs in tact.

Could well be right, I sense danger when I see thunder on my girl friends face lol

But why not! It is reckoned that we have stopped using parts of our bodies, like the pendics' etc. and our sense are supposedly a lot less adequate to what they were due to lack of using them, so, perhaps the animal and creature lives had kept theirs in tact.

I AGREE WITH YOU ROLAND, ESPECIALLY WITH YOUR GIRL FREIND ;D ;D ;D

I HAVE ONLY ONE KIDNEY , BUT THE BODY IS USED TO THIS AND THE ONE DOES THE WORK OF TWO., THATS WHY I SAY [ A WEE BIT OFF TOPIC] THAT IF YOU FED YOUR BIRDS ON PELLETS ALONE , THIS WOULD MAKE THE GIZZARD REDUNDANT , AND BECOME FAULTY OR USELESS, SO THEY DO NEED HARD GRAIN[EVEN IF GIVING PELLETS]   BACK TO THE POST PIGEONS HAVE SENSES DIFFERANT THAN HUMANS, AND IM QUITE SURE IF THEY HAVE TO USE THESE SENSES, THEY CAN DETECT MANY THINGS, THAT WE CANT  [APART FROM YOUR GIRLFREIND ;D ;D ;D]

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
i think the reason they sense disasters more than alot of other animals is (if they do actually use the magnetic field as part of their homing sense), the magnetic field may be disturbed in some way so the homing pigeons can pick up on that.

Thats correct its the magnetic field that is affected thus affecting navigation of our feathered friends