A few eyes

pj1001

Hello Pat & All,

I do not know if you are all aware that the 1st eye is that of a famous pigeon in Ireland by the name of "Murray's Dream".

This Cock is 15 years old and although his eye is fading , he is still fertile and shows a lot of character in his eye.

Attachment 0244_7073 is a daughter iof this famous cock and for me, this would be my next maiting to try and reproduce this cock before he becomes infertile.

Albear is correct when he says you have some magnificent pigeons Pat, some of these eyes are just about as good as it gets.

I will write to you privately and give you a personal crit on all of the eyes, as I do not wish to be involved any more with the childish comments and bickering that arise often with regularity on this forum.

Best Regards,

jackbarkel@mweb.co.za

http://mysite.mweb.co.za/residents/jackbarkel/

• 2 weeks later...

Roland an impossible wager, how would you set the parameter I for example think that 2204 will be a goldmine, whereas the bird Jack picked to go with Murray's Gold I would only use them as feeders!! Jack's record however is very impressive. The issue I think is that you're benchmark has to be the man who has a minmimum 90% correct mark, i.e. Carney. What other eye man has gne on the stage in front of hundreds of fanciers and told them via a headmike  what the pigeon will do, distance velocity, breeding capability or rubbish, I've seen him do it in South Wales with over 250 birds in the pen and then give 1st  to the bird that was 1st Welsh National Lerwick!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Roland an impossible wager, how would you set the parameter I for example think that 2204 will be a goldmine, whereas the bird Jack picked to go with Murray's Gold I would only use them as feeders!! Jack's record however is very impressive. The issue I think is that you're benchmark has to be the man who has a minmimum 90% correct mark, i.e. Carney. What other eye man has gne on the stage in front of hundreds of fanciers and told them via a headmike  what the pigeon will do, distance velocity, breeding capability or rubbish, I've seen him do it in South Wales with over 250 birds in the pen and then give 1st  to the bird that was 1st Welsh National Lerwick!

2204 - is quite different from the rest - from a basic level - how would you describe the actual colour

Hi redcheq colour I do not define, it is unimportant to me, other than I do like to put different colour together, why? I can't honestly tell you, this is one of those sheep like situations ............because Carney says so!! but I ain't too bothered because if the pigeon has the super constitution and characteristics which the eye shows me then it matters not!!!????

You see if you continuously inbreed and cross colours you will lose strength  anyway, but if you are breeding top quality to top quality it will take a life time to badly weaken the strain (not that many pair top quality breeders to top quality breeders)

As an example I will give you reference to a loft in the same County as you Pearson & Dransfield. They had 5 birds from George Busschaert back in the late fities I believe it was, if not the sixties, and they have bred birds in the Barnsley Fed, one of the most competitive around to win the FED every decade since, from progeny down purely from those 5 pigeons. And I believe if memory serves me right they have also topped Barnsley fed every decade from across the Channel as well down from these 5 birds. You are talking a 50 year + span of winners and a glut of winners for others all over the country.

These are the birds that Chris Gordon is crossing in with the old English strains (particularly Eric Fox Bakewell) to create a fantastic family of his own.

But Redcheq always remember you really do need to see the eye a photo can not be gone on, I have done it on here and always got it right but could easily get it wrong too!! Which wouldn't be much good to me 'cause then the likes of Mr Van Reet and his cronies would quickly point it out to every 'pleb' they could.

An impossible wager, of course, and one that was never intended as such.

The simple reality is that there are countless good eyes, and very many great eyes and yet only in real terms a only a small pecentage of them are good racers / breeders and only a small handful of great racers or breeders. Admitted there is also the equation of the 'Manager' of the birds / both as racers and 'Stockman' which is of the utmost importance.

And then 'Some see in a minute what others never see in a life time'.

Though again one must equate that many further down the field, yet close in velocities are also good or great birds... let alone the ones 'Great on the day' but through various reasons due to weather / location etc. etc. are 'Unnamed' greats.

But all added together over the season, winners are far fewer than losers, and over several seasons of course the differential increases.

Roland, I beg to differ, there are few good pigeons but they all have exceptional eyes, completely different in certain characteristics in the eye to the 97% of also ran!

I accept management is important and when you are in the hot bed of sprint racing like the midlands, then the motivatioanl skill and tricks is often the key. However for me it is 80% pigeon and 20% fancier, I know the vast majority will not agree. Particularly the successfull fanciers, after all they will always want to think it is their skill that puts them above the rest, I don't agree, I do agree it is their skill that puts them in front of the other top men.

How do I justify my hypothisis, well look at how many fanciers stay the test of time, Cooper, Tasker, Kirkland, Newcombe and several in the midlands and there must be others but they are rare. There are many fanciers who are at the top for a decade or so and then dissapear.......the reason to my mind is that they have a couple of pairs breeding the goods but once that pair go so do they, becasue they did not have the stock skill like those above (and of course the finance too, because even those above have had the finance needed to bring in new blood). There is only one partnership I know of who relied on the same birds for 50 years and that was Pearson & Dransfield (though they did bring in other birds but none until this century have been beating their Busschaerts). The only other fanciers who rank with thees now must be M & D Evans who have created a fantastic dynasty of winning pigeons that breed winners, and we see again many a fancier making their name on the back of them and a lot of money too. The basic thing now that differentiates the top man from the also rans, money! Having said that I have recenty been given a pair of pigens for nothing and they are the best pair of pigeons I have to 600 mile!! And the person that gave them to me, knows how good they are  from what they have bred him!! So it is possible still from pure friendship to get good pigeons. I must say though and not be a hypocrite that I will sell birds to try and recoup what I have paid and more importantly to keep me in the sport, to help pay for my sport!!

Controversial I suspect but my genuine thoughts and perhaps stimulii for healthy debate.

Controversial I know but perhaps will lead to some healthy debate!!

well there you are!! you're birds must be ac/dc. But then again AC would you like to invite me to take my pick, cause you wouldn't let me take your best would you? Put them all in a basket and let me pick one pair but make sure you put every bird in. Then post what I took!! It'll be your best pair of feeders