Driving Cocks

Diamond dave

.......what are you lot like - a sensible question and look what happens - In any case he has already trod the hen so the big scantily clad blonde bit aint whats keeping him driving. ;)

The reason for asking is that most of my widohood pairs have reared their youngsters and I want to take the hens away but some are a little more advanced and are driving again. I didn't know if would do any harm or should I let them go down again so he can finish his driving.

If the youngest of the youngsters are around the 14 day old mark move all of the hens over to the young bird section plus a youngster out of each nest leaving the cocks to rear a single baby. Makes for a more settled loft.

Is there a big difference between the age of the youngsters? If there's 6 days or less between the oldest and youngest what I would do is remove all the hens together once the youngest in the nest is 14 days old.

Leaving the odd hen is ok but I do like to have the majority of hens away before they start laying again

Tony. Yes, I've got some that are only 10 days old. The question is do I take the more advanced hens away from the driving cocks or is it a better to let them lay again and take them away after 5 days............What do you think?

I would take them away before they lay.

The reason I do this is because I repair my w/hood team and send them to the first race sitting 8 days. I dont know what you have in mind.