INTRODUCING YOUNG COCKS TO THE WIDOWHOOD LOFT

PIGEON_MAN

JUST WONDERING WHAT OTHERS THOUGHT WAS THE BEST TIME TO INTRODUCE YOUNG COCKS THAT HAVE BEEN ON DARKNESS INTO THE WIDOWHOOD LOFT,I HAVE TRIED BOTH WAYS I.E.PUTTING THEM STRAIGHT INTO THE WIDOWHOOD LOFT AS SOON AS RACING IS OVER,ALSO LEAVING THEM TO MOULT OUT AND PUTTING THEM IN THE LOFT AFTER THE MOULTS FINISHED.WHAT ARE OTHER MEMBERS THOUGHT,S ON THIS,PERSONALLY I HAVN,T NOTICED MUCH DIFFERANCE,OBVIOUSLEY THEY SETTLE DOWN BETTER TO THEIR NEW SECTION THE SOONER YOU GET THEM IN THERE?

This is a very good post, and some good answrers, lots of myths about this subject. Dont move them till they moulted dont move lofts till the moulted i've never found a problem with it. Tip: To kick start the moult in the pigeons, take the water away for 24hours then put it back again ;)

we take the old cocks out and close their boxes then we put the young cocks in to claim their boxes

once fully protective of their boxes we put the old cocks back in one or two at a time over a period of one week

then we take them all out and start to introduce the hens that they will be paired to next season into the loft and get them used to their boxes

we find that when we come to pairing up time all the pairs know their boxes because no matter what box a cock has it will follow the hen into every box and mayhem is the orderof the day

its just our way as we dont keep many birds

Our young cocks are in there already.  Leave em in there with the old cocks & let em sort it out.  48 hrs and they don't blink an eyelid at each other.  Has no effect on the YB moult either.  Anyone tries to tell you it does it talking rubbish.

MIKE,

AGREE 100%. IVE USED THIS METHOD FOR 11 YEARS NOW.

Guest slugmonkey

I am going to fly a widowhood system and am going to use the loft I have now for a widowhood loft I am going to put in boxes to replace the perches I am just assuming I will be able to let these young cocks claim boxes at will how many cocks would you recommend that I start with I have about 30 birds in this loft they are very undercrowded at this number I think I could go down to 20 and be ok

Guest slugmonkey

I am going to have another 60 on natural in another loft I read about a widowhood system a few years ago that sounded too crazy to be true so I have to give it a go I wont even talk about it it sounds so far fetched that I am sure that I will be made fun of, I can hide these birds in the others I am flying and if it works then I will divulge how it works !!!