droppers

Guest MBpigeonguy

do you think any type of tumbler/roller will do

No Rollers...

Can be useful for Garden fantails or Westies...      but its best to have a garden fantails for droppers.

You can use some of your old birds as trappers pick 4 old hens that are not racing feed them on thursday night but no food on friday. On sat morning about 2 hours before the race birds are due home let them out to fly about they will not fly long and come down to hang about the garden. Soon as you see your first bird call the hens in with some food. They will trap fast and your race bird will follow. If you have problems with your birds trapping try this. For their last round of eggs before racing put straw out on the garden so the birds have to fly in and out of the trap to build their nest the bird will trap 30+ times in couple of hours. This builds their confidence of using the trap and makes good practice for them.

Guest REDFOXKRAUTHS

you can use racers feed them lightly on the thursday,nothing on friday and then on saturday they will be very hungary and trap in very quick which will then pull your other birds out

MBpigeonguy A dropper is normally a Poulter. It will see your bird arriving way before you do... ad it's up and away, and drives your bird through the Trap. Hen or Cock bird... Beware if your racing a randy hen lol.

They live in the loft with the birds. Isaw them in action with Bil Butterfield ear Toronto 2 year back and was very imressed. Dave Rogers too... But mant there didn't like them as they worked them wrong apparently.

Would forward Bills Email if your interested.

Personally If I was the young man I'd forget about 'Droppers' theory or thoughts on Eye Sign. length of tails etc. and just get a couple of years under my belt first.  Clean dry loft, same as feed, and fresh water in washed out ultensiles are the first neccates I believe. Too much folder will lay him back a spell.

M. B http://www.comanco-web.com/discuspro/

Click on there and become a member same as on here. This is Canadian Based and probably the best site on the net. The 'Archives' are brimful with realistic and great help on every matter that can, will or might raise it's head.

Good luck, and stay here too, some plonkers here like lol... and some real gems of pigeon folks.

Here are the 2 feather footed tumblers i use as my droppers,  ;D They are both old age pensioners at least 10yrs +, They are my personal loft pets lol they trap like little bullets both thru the stall traps and open door, and they often come in handy for floating eggs under.  ;) (they are currently sitting upon my Janssen X staf van reet experiment eggs  ;)

Pic above shows them last year out with the youngbirds

and this is the cock bird sitting in his box showing off his feathery legs ;D

Here are the 2 feather footed tumblers i use as my droppers,  ;D They are both old age pensioners at least 10yrs +, They are my personal loft pets lol they trap like little bullets both thru the stall traps and open door, and they often come in handy for floating eggs under.  ;) (they are currently sitting upon my Janssen X staf van reet experiment eggs  ;)

Pic above shows them last year out with the youngbirds

and this is the cock bird sitting in his box showing off his feathery legs ;D

Guest MBpigeonguy

see i dont know anyone in winnipeg that uses droppers especialy the guy i get my birds from!! idont think they are really needed, u just have to get more room and feed, my loft is too small to bring more then racing pigeons in!!

• 3 weeks later...
It is not essential that you have a dropper to get your birds to trap if they are trained well from young they will trap without one :)

I agree with you shadow. I never used a dropper first time round and don't intend to this time.

A youngun or eggs in the nest are incentive enough for my birds to trap.