E.T.S  YES OR NO

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How come the high cost for ETS is always a topic but the cost of the t3 is never thought of,why because for the past few years grants are being handed out,in Scotland the clubs a tooling up with the ets and club computor because we have passed it and  application for grants started to be recognised by the lottery people  the same lottery that purchesed clocks for clubs in England and Wales.Maybe the English are beginning to awaken and realise we could have waited and got ets instead of tooling the club up with 25 t-3s.Our club was against the ets but have now decided to apply for the grant,and i never thought that would happen.Also Mike in Sunny Spain quite a few who left the shu have rejoined because there were a few who never left in the first place,yes they never raced under the shu banner but a few have started and i for one am glad to welcome these fanciers back.

,,,if you put two birds in the one thimble , a non pooler and a pooler ,, both these birds would be the same time , if there was a pooler in front of them that would win the pools , but if there was a pooler at the back of them , that woud be beaten for the pools, both birds in the one thimble would be the same time [no bird could be between them  :)]  

yes u have a point jimmy,regarding pools, but what if one of those 2 rubbers was an accum bird which has to win the race to take the cash, none of them would be the winner it would be a dead heat,

• 1 year later...
Guest slugmonkey

There was a post about pools back in the middle of this thread but I will explain it again, there are a couple of things you dont understand about this system, it requires 2 parts, a clock and a program to figure the race

1. the clock - this simply records the time ( usally down to a 1000th of a second) it is just like your paper clock except when the chip is scanned it records the band and time digitally instead of a piece of paper. It is very unlikely that 2 birds will hit EXACTLY at the same time, so the clock records this exact time ( THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART ) so when you download the clock into the computer it will print out a sheet with the EXACT times WRITTEN IN BLACK AND WHITE again it is not impossible to have two birds with the same time but VERY unlikely ( electronic clock gives more precise time than manual )

Your clock module can be put into several modes I will deal with race mode here ( mode means what the clock is doing, is it timing a race or is it just logging birds as they come in off of a training toss)

You go to the club with your birds and you take your clock, a handler will hook the module ( part of the clock that stores the times ) up to the main system he will then put a key onto the scanner this authorizes him to put the clock into race mode ( this is like electronically bumping or striking the clock )he will then begin logging the birds in ( like countermarking ) then they are put on the truck ( you should get a paper printout containing all the birds entered, logging times, band numbers of both electronic and leg band numbers, the race name and number  these are like the old load sheets )

2. The computer - the computer removes the times from the clock for each flyer and computes times and sorts results. In the beginning you will have to program each flyer into the system it will ask you for -

1. flyers name

2. identity number

3. address

4. gps cordinates

The system will have another section for the stations and will ask you for

1. the name of the station

2. how far

3. GPS cordinates at release point

so now all of the information is loaded into the computer

After the race is flown you will go to the club house a handler will ask for your module he will then hook it up to computer and will strike the times from the module ( you will get a printout sheet with the birds arrival times ******** I AM GOING TO REFER BACK TO HERE WHEN I EXPLAIN THE POOLING PART ******** ) the computer will ask the handler which race it was, what the GPS coordinates were, when it was released, how many days, and some other stuff. The handler will then do the next clock, the computer will begin sorting times and it will store these in a file, then the next clock and so on until all the clocks are done then he will go to the make a report section and print the results.

The result sheet will sometimes show times as the same and it lists results by BAND NUMBER so you may have 3 birds with the same time this is because the computer will only figure down about 3 decimal places ( this is as accurate as the old system ) now here is where you can get as particular as you want

If 1 flyer has a tie in his loft look at his arrival sheet - however they are on there is how they have arrived so IF HIS POOLED BIRD IS LISTED FIRST IT ARRIVED FIRST if another bird is listed first then it arrived first - all you have to do is look at the arrival sheet, the arrival sheet and the race results are 2 diffrent things you could also take the arrival times and manually settle ties

This system in most cases is at least 1 decimal place more accurate than the old system and can be set up to go even farther down the number

I would say the only way to assure your pooled bird is trapped first is to use a stall trap and manually scan him in but then you are running the risk of someone elses bird hitting the pad while you are catching your pooled bird and it wouldnt matter anyway if you were using a manual clock you would have clocked the pooled bird anyhow !

There was a post about pools back in the middle of this thread but I will explain it again, there are a couple of things you dont understand about this system, it requires 2 parts, a clock and a program to figure the race

1. the clock - this simply records the time ( usally down to a 1000th of a second) it is just like your paper clock except when the chip is scanned it records the band and time digitally instead of a piece of paper. It is very unlikely that 2 birds will hit EXACTLY at the same time, so the clock records this exact time ( THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART ) so when you download the clock into the computer it will print out a sheet with the EXACT times WRITTEN IN BLACK AND WHITE again it is not impossible to have two birds with the same time but VERY unlikely ( electronic clock gives more precise time than manual )

Your clock module can be put into several modes I will deal with race mode here ( mode means what the clock is doing, is it timing a race or is it just logging birds as they come in off of a training toss)

You go to the club with your birds and you take your clock, a handler will hook the module ( part of the clock that stores the times ) up to the main system he will then put a key onto the scanner this authorizes him to put the clock into race mode ( this is like electronically bumping or striking the clock )he will then begin logging the birds in ( like countermarking ) then they are put on the truck ( you should get a paper printout containing all the birds entered, logging times, band numbers of both electronic and leg band numbers, the race name and number  these are like the old load sheets )

2. The computer - the computer removes the times from the clock for each flyer and computes times and sorts results. In the beginning you will have to program each flyer into the system it will ask you for -

1. flyers name

2. identity number

3. address

4. gps cordinates

2. how far

After the race is flown you will go to the club house a handler will ask for your module he will then hook it up to computer and will strike the times from the module ( you will get a printout sheet with the birds arrival times ******** I AM GOING TO REFER BACK TO HERE WHEN I EXPLAIN THE POOLING PART ******** ) the computer will ask the handler which race it was, what the GPS coordinates were, when it was released, how many days, and some other stuff. The handler will then do the next clock, the computer will begin sorting times and it will store these in a file, then the next clock and so on until all the clocks are done then he will go to the make a report section and print the results.

The result sheet will sometimes show times as the same and it lists results by BAND NUMBER so you may have 3 birds with the same time this is because the computer will only figure down about 3 decimal places ( this is as accurate as the old system ) now here is where you can get as particular as you want

If 1 flyer has a tie in his loft look at his arrival sheet - however they are on there is how they have arrived so IF HIS POOLED BIRD IS LISTED FIRST IT ARRIVED FIRST if another bird is listed first then it arrived first - all you have to do is look at the arrival sheet, the arrival sheet and the race results are 2 diffrent things you could also take the arrival times and manually settle ties

This system in most cases is at least 1 decimal place more accurate than the old system and can be set up to go even farther down the number

I would say the only way to assure your pooled bird is trapped first is to use a stall trap and manually scan him in but then you are running the risk of someone elses bird hitting the pad while you are catching your pooled bird and it wouldnt matter anyway if you were using a manual clock you would have clocked the pooled bird anyhow !

I have a race result system that only deals with full seconds - not decimals - if any club members get ETS - the result will be worked out on the race result system I have - and the the places are then allocated in numerical order if the velocities are the same

1. flyers name

2. identity number

3. address

4. gps cordinates

2. how far

All very interesting but what happens if two birds hit the the pad at EXACTLY the same time, how would they be recorded on your ets?

All very interesting but what happens if two birds hit the the pad at EXACTLY the same time, how would they be recorded on your ets?

I was getting 46 y/b's timed in during training in under 10 secs ( sometimes had them all in the loft in under 7 secs ) with my ETS systen last season "ME" ;)

And it clocked everyone of them ;) 8)

Surely you have a lot better chance of timing two birds as the land, rather than if you had to clock the rubber rings :-/

I was getting 46 y/b's timed in during training in under 10 secs ( sometimes had them all in the loft in under 7 secs ) with my ETS systen last season "ME" ;)

And it clocked everyone of them ;) 8)

Thanks Alf you are making my point for "me" exactly. What is the chance of 46 birds hitting the pad in under 7 seconds and two of them not hitting the pad at exactly the same time do you think?

Thanks Alf you are making my point for "me" exactly. What is the chance of 46 birds hitting the pad in under 7 seconds and two of them not hitting the pad at exactly the same time do you think?

I think it could happen yes

Guest slugmonkey

I bet those 3 were on the result sheet and NOT the arrival sheet as stated earlier 46 birds and no 2 at exactly the same time

to time 2 at same time with manual all you have to do is put them in same thimble MUCH more difficult to get them at same time on ets.

your system deals withseconds - one that deals in fractions would be more accurate

I don't know how it would clock in 5 years of racing and training I have never seen 2 birds at exact time

Steve from Taylor lofts is quite correct we have had three birds with the same time on the Federation sheet.We take the first printed as the winner.

Hope we never get two fanciers on the same time then we will be in trouble :-/ :-/

The problem as I see it is your systems in the US are far more advenced than in the UK :o :o :o :o :o

I have spoken to fanciers in the US and their systems tell them a lot more than ours ONLY UNIKON can sort this out

We do not have the colour of the bird on Unikon yet even though we were promised it last year

Sale come before the correct systems over here our union is NOT big enough to force the issue with Deister but lets hope now the RPRA have accepted the system they have the clout to force this issue forward after all it is only SOFTWARE.

Guest slugmonkey

READ CAREFULLY yes on the result sheet they will print as the same time

LOOK AT THE ARRIVAL SHEET FROM THE CLOCK THEY WILL BE DIFFRENT ! The computer prints by band number on the results sheet so the lowest band number is the best performance

Race secratary should catch this

Guest slugmonkey

You are stating FED SHEET the race sec needs to look at the ARRIVAL sheets for these 3 birds and then determine the order they didn't clock the same I would be willing to bet