enclosed transit van carrying pigeons

johno

No!

poor ventilation!

If the van is full how are the birds watered without taking all the baskets out?

How long are the birds stuck inside the van for, in the dark if its raining at race point?

What facilities does the driver and convoyer have, i.e, sleeping etc?

Phil

is an enclosed transit van acceptable transport for saturday racing?

Depends

If it has an enclosed bulkhead, if it does then vetilation would be a problem, also on the amount of birds and the access to at least water them, how secure the baskets may be also :-/

Guest Gareth Rankin

If a federation that baskets on the friday for a Saturday race uses a transit van and places 20 baskets in it well to me they should be reported to the relevent bodies for a act that is cruelty to animals/birds. :( :( :( :( :(

Is there not a rule or regulation that states birds must be transported in a suitable racked vehicle?

A van certainly isn't racked or suitable!

Nothing wrong with using a van to take birds from clubs to transporter but shouldn't be used to transport to race point.

Phil

If a federation that baskets on the friday for a Saturday race uses a transit van and places 20 baskets in it well to me they should be reported to the relevent bodies for a act that is cruelty to animals/birds. :( :( :( :( :(

Couldn't said it better myself, "Utter stupidity"  :'( :'( :'( when you really think about it etc. Especially for the pigeons at the front & at bottom of all the baskets.

Enjoy.

Guest valiant
Why not use a pick up, make up a frame rack to carry the baskets that can be lifted on and off the pickup when you need it, or even a flatbed trailer and do the same thing :-/

like ma rascal pickup. ;D ;D

Guest bigda

I that sounds  good going down the  road way  shavings  blowing all about and the birds blinded, not to mention the public  getting sh** on there windscreen,

Guest Hjaltland

I always wonder about using trailers, the exhaust fumes cant be good for the birds.

Another point about using a transit with no bulkhead - the poor driver/convoyer will need breathing apparatus to avoid all that funk and stoor coming off the birds!

I that sounds  good going down the  road way  shavings  blowing all about and the birds blinded, not to mention the public  getting sh** on there windscreen,

Aye if you are daft enough to use wood shavings I would imagine you deserve the stick from the ones behind you:-/

I always wonder about using trailers, the exhaust fumes cant be good for the birds.

Another point about using a transit with no bulkhead - the poor driver/convoyer will need breathing apparatus to avoid all that funk and stoor coming off the birds!

Trailers are commonly used in transporting birds, I looked at one at blackpool from Geraldy for £5000 and I am sure the highland fed paid a lot more for theirs

I don't think the transit is the best idea, if we weighed up all the pros and cons of keeping birds then a few might decide against, especially when I see Billy sitting here with pigeon lung and struggling for breath. I am sure we have all done things that could be done better for both us and the birds :-/

Guest bigda

Aye if you are daft enough to use wood shavings I would imagine you deserve the stick from the ones behind you:-/

only a " dafty" would what to use a transit van for his birds and support it