do birds use the same flight paths?

paul1

where i walk my dog across fields most weekends i see groups of racers and they seem to keep to the same flight paths, does anyone know if they do? it could be possibly due the the terrain, where i am the land contours into a valley plus the M1 motorway runs parallel to the direction i see the birds flying. do birds use motorways and such to aid navigation?

If the earths magnetic compass is anything to go by then yes most birds will use the same flightpath, ignore landmarks, that theory doesn't hold much water to me because you can fly a pigeon over an area that's been devasted by a cyclone and he'll still find his way home, why?  Because he follows an invisible landmark (The magentic mark).   Take a look at a map that shows magnetic cues, that's you answer.   ;)

I watched a programme on pigeons and they used the GPS on a bird. He was released 5-6 times from same point and first time he went a very wide and round route but each time he got more direct and more direct till he was doing almost a sraight line. I believe birds use land marks to find there way home faster but also Magnetic feild is where the homing ability comes from... So at first its the magnetic field they use to come home but as they get more experienced with route they use the landmarks and get home faster. Yeah wind plays big part too

Guest canfordlofts
I watched a programme on pigeons and they used the GPS on a bird. He was released 5-6 times from same point and first time he went a very wide and round route but each time he got more direct and more direct till he was doing almost a sraight line. I believe birds use land marks to find there way home faster but also Magnetic feild is where the homing ability comes from... So at first its the magnetic field they use to come home but as they get more experienced with route they use the landmarks and get home faster. Yeah wind plays big part too

yeah i watched that one it was  :)very good

I think I watched the same program?   The bird never did get to do a complete straight line if I remember right, it always went slighlty dog legged?  Not sure if it was same show we watched though?   There have been tests on birds where complete areas have been decimated (Cyclones etc) so there are no landmarks left whatsoever for the birds or animals to follow so rules out that theory and re-enforces the magnetic marker one.  Makes you wonder don't it.   :)