nyfuramycin & young bird sickness

adam owen

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mick bowler

i think amoxicillin should be used b4 using baytril, anyhow...mick i wasnt doubting your cure ..as an open mind is better than a closed one.

cider vinegar would have produced an acidic enviroment , as we know a higher acidic level help to prevent bacteria growing in the gut.

maybe you have found a solution that works for you, you caught it very quickly.

im not afraid to experiment myself,as this will only benefit others if it works.

forgot to add..some strains that are closely connected with ybs are toxin strains of e coli....maybe you have successfully eliminated the toxins which weakened the e coli strain.

I'd agree with the Amoxy, i would always have that in the cupboard, but never Baytril. If i were in need of something as strong as Baytril then i would use Ciprofloxacin instead, its quicker to react and not so strong, even baytril tell you this.

I have never said i would not use any medicines, but i try to use any alternatives i can, personally i'd rather dispose of than try a series of medicines. I have been very lucky here due to the vet and pharmacists knowledge of animals due to the farming community here. They can face as many perils as us with their animals, but for them its business too, so a cure or even a preventative is almost essential, and many of the treatments they used are already used for pigeons but at a reduced dosage rate.

I forgot to mention i also use baycox and was advised to use after any sign of illness, or as a follow up to treatment, but only at the lowest saturation.

where du get baytril from ? reason i ask our vet want to see sick birds before

supplying us with it.

The vet was acting professionally and within the law. Baytril is only available legally in Britain with a vet's prescription, and then only if he has seen the bird and it is under his care [though not necessarily held in his surgery].

Baytril also has a shelf-life, D Parsons on his dvd says 30 days after you open it, its as good as dead. So some folk hang on to it long after its effectiveness has gone, while others supply it from outside Britain. Either way, they do themselves and the pigeon no favours.

im so glad i put it up strap ive learnt that much my brain hurts made some new mates too thanks all for pms too  ;)

Its what forums are all about, shareing experience but also always being willing to learn!

Some do think they know it all but usualy know nothing!

Guest mick bowler

Its what forums are all about, shareing experience but also always being willing to learn!

Some do think they know it all but usualy know nothing!

Phil the day we stop learning is the day they tighten the screws down on the box!!!

Regarding the use of clay. A lot of wild birds eat clay to enable them to be able to eat toxic food. Clay contains Kaolin which is a well known digestive medicine. Even we humans use it. I believe that pigeons need clay to help them to deal with the tanins in brown skinned food. Tanin is a poison in high doses.