nyfuramycin & young bird sickness

adam owen

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jargre-

so dont you think we all already know that...?.

the secondary infection is usually e coli ...and a little extra info...there are two types of adeno virus...1-2...there is no such thing as youngbirds sickness....it is wrongly named that because it was found in youngbirds ...not many people know this but youngbird sickness as we usually call it can be found in oldbirds too.

i know this for a fact ,before anyone trys to correct me on this.

oldbirds are affected too but because of a stronger imune system it doesnt affect them in the same way as youngbirds.

adeno virus in oldbirds can sometimes be shown with a crop full of water sometimes called sour crop.

but sour crop can be from different problems...i could go on .

so before you try to suggest i didnt know what im talking about think again. ;)

As someone just posted, nobody was putting you down but one question Paul, when did you go to veterinary college and also discover the scientific FACT behind YBS?  It is STILL according to a qualified vet or two (you can phone them and ask them free) NOT KNOWN what causes YBS, what it TRULY is.  FACT   :-/

yes ive seen that dvd very good and there birds look like show birds too i swear by the granuals from natrual and like the bosh flyers wont be changing it know just had new loft put the dressing in it and thats where its gunna stay

i think the cleaner the loft is the better the birds will be,but you can look at it in 2 different ways,you can deep litter them and keep the deep litter in tip top condition aswell,i think if you do deep litter you really do need to keep an eye on your birds has its harder to check there droppings,also you do need to have a very dry loft has if the deep litter gets damp then your really in trouble.

WELL SAID THAT MAN  ;D ;D ;D

its just you said about time some knew what they were talking about...no probs mark m8 ;)

OK M8,,THERES PLENTY OF KNOLEGABLE FANCIERS ON ERE,,PLENTY OF GOOD ADVICE TO THE NOVICE,,,BUT THERES ONE THING I TRIED THAT SOME ONE SAID IT WORKED FOR THEM,,BUT NOT FOR ME,,YOGURT,,I TRIED THAT 2 YEARS ON THE TROT 3 TIMES A WEEK BUT I STILL OT THE DREADED YBS,,,IVE TRIED FOR 11 YEARS AND STILL HAVENT HAD 1 YEAR WHEN I HAVENT GOT IT...THERES ONE MORE THING IVE BEEN ADVISED TO DO AND IF IT DOESNT WORK IM CALLING IT A DAY,,,ALL THE BEST STRAPPER M8,,,MARK..

OK M8,,THERES PLENTY OF KNOLEGABLE FANCIERS ON ERE,,PLENTY OF GOOD ADVICE TO THE NOVICE,,,BUT THERES ONE THING I TRIED THAT SOME ONE SAID IT WORKED FOR THEM,,BUT NOT FOR ME,,YOGURT,,I TRIED THAT 2 YEARS ON THE TROT 3 TIMES A WEEK BUT I STILL OT THE DREADED YBS,,,IVE TRIED FOR 11 YEARS AND STILL HAVENT HAD 1 YEAR WHEN I HAVENT GOT IT...THERES ONE MORE THING IVE BEEN ADVISED TO DO AND IF IT DOESNT WORK IM CALLING IT A DAY,,,ALL THE BEST STRAPPER M8,,,MARK..

IS THAT A CRY FOR HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest strapper

As someone just posted, nobody was putting you down but one question Paul, when did you go to veterinary college and also discover the scientific FACT behind YBS?  It is STILL according to a qualified vet or two (you can phone them and ask them free) NOT KNOWN what causes YBS, what it TRULY is.  FACT   :-/

one thing i do is read ..i suggest you do the same to learn about it like i did.

i studied this ,have been doing it for over 3-4years...

when did i state i knew what causes youngbird sickness?

i stated i know about it...its a fact that there are two types...if those vets suggest otherwise id be wary what they do know about it( not all vets are up to date with pigeons)...by scientific proof as labs etc is what i read up on it.

but i dont think they would not know about it..

one vet i read a lot up on is dr david marx..a american pigeon vet...very highly thought of.

Jargar

it is all very well having a go at Strapper but it will not help much. For a start he has helped a lot of people and is entitled to his opinion.

The only answer is to build up the imune systems of the birds. And trying to cure them with strong drugs will not do that. In fact it is the over use of strong drugs that have got us into this mess in my opinion. When I talk about deep litter I am not saying that any livestock can be healthy with sh** up to their necks. I am talking about dry conditions where the manure dries quickly. As adam has said, no one would advocate leaving wet droppings lying about on perches and the like.

The unpleasant side of what I have said is that we have to be prepared to kill the weaklings and only breed from the robust and healthy stock. I would go even further and not breed from birds that have not succeeded on the road. And Stock birds that have not delivered in the first year or produced youngsters that contracted YBS should also end in the bin.

Now that is not the sort of thing that the Vets like to hear because they would rather us spend lots of money on things that make them rich but get us no where.  

Guest strapper

just like to say i wasnt trying to be mr big head over this subject..just stating info i know...as anyone who i have helped(which is a good few now) will know bigheaded is not me. :)

that only happens when liverpool beat utd ;D

hi m8,,i no someone who did that last year and he still got it m8,,,thats what put me of,,,thanks anyway m8.... :) :) :)

s??t theres me thinking i was on to a winner  ;) ;) ;) i could of made thousands then  :P :P it must be something else im doing then im gunna have to have another think gud luck tho mate hope u can crack it  :)

just like to say i wasnt trying to be mr big head over this subject..just stating info i know...as anyone who i have helped(which is a good few now) will know bigheaded is not me. :)

that only happens when liverpool beat utd ;D

which we have done for the last two seasons ha ha ha ha ha sorry im a liverpool fan hate the mancs  :P  :P

I think you'll have bother defining what YBS is, since it has become a handy label for fanciers to stick on any illness. Unknown in my day, like PMV, they were something I had to get up to speed on very quickly when I started back in pigeons.

The first thing I would like to add to what's been posted on this thread is that the more common virus causing the illness is Circovirus, the equivalent of human AIDS virus, which destroys part of the YBs immune system long before it reaches sexual maturity - 3 months old?  And in Northern Europe at least, they've put forward a possible reason for recurrent infection in the same lofts year on year: although the YB illness subsides, their research has shown the viral particles remain in the YBs main organs, and can and do re-infect the OB,  which passes it on in turn to the next generation. So its no longer an illness affecting only youngbirds, its now known as Young Bird Syndrome, and the reason Gordon Chlamers & Co recommend PMV vaccination as soon as youngsters are fledged, is to beat Circovirus infection and start whole cycle over again, since if PMV vaccine is administered after Circovirus has attacked the bird, the vaccine won't take.

Guest frank dooman
I think you'll have bother defining what YBS is, since it has become a handy label for fanciers to stick on any illness. Unknown in my day, like PMV, they were something I had to get up to speed on very quickly when I started back in pigeons.

The first thing I would like to add to what's been posted on this thread is that the more common virus causing the illness is Circovirus, the equivalent of human AIDS virus, which destroys part of the YBs immune system long before it reaches sexual maturity - 3 months old?  And in Northern Europe at least, they've put forward a possible reason for recurrent infection in the same lofts year on year: although the YB illness subsides, their research has shown the viral particles remain in the YBs main organs, and can and do re-infect the OB,  which passes it on in turn to the next generation. So its no longer an illness affecting only youngbirds, its now known as Young Bird Syndrome, and the reason Gordon Chlamers & Co recommend PMV vaccination as soon as youngsters are fledged, is to beat Circovirus infection and start whole cycle over again, since if PMV vaccine is administered after Circovirus has attacked the bird, the vaccine won't take.

spot on ian 100%

Guest Jargre-

one thing i do is read ..i suggest you do the same to learn about it like i did.

i studied this ,have been doing it for over 3-4years...

when did i state i knew what causes youngbird sickness?

i stated i know about it...its a fact that there are two types...if those vets suggest otherwise id be wary what they do know about it( not all vets are up to date with pigeons)...by scientific proof as labs etc is what i read up on it.

but i dont think they would not know about it..

one vet i read a lot up on is dr david marx..a american pigeon vet...very highly thought of.

I do read now and again Paul and still can't find any scientific facts like you say, that vet your on about likes his meds don't he.  :o :o :(

Guest Jargre-
Jargar

it is all very well having a go at Strapper but it will not help much. For a start he has helped a lot of people and is entitled to his opinion.

Wasn't having a go at Paul, he's a very knowledgeable fella, I was putting him straight on the point there is not hard evidence to back up his findings and I'm right, the trouble is a little knowledge is dangerous and unlike vets the strappers of this world are not insured if things go tits up, would never disrespect Paul and his opinions but am entitled to mine.  ;)

IB I think you right in your opinion as to what is going on. And I have been double vaccinating for a few years now. However, I still think that there are pigeons that are prone to this disease and others who are not. So the only practical solution is to dump the sickly ones and work with the hardy ones. I also think that probiotics to build up imunity are needed. And I do not know anything better than dry dung. Artificial probiotics such as yogurt will not do it and I doubt if the new fad of colostrum will either. I believe that the need to explore and peck at everything is inborn in pigeons, and this is Nature's way of building up their imune system. It seems to be working for me anyway.

Guest bigbok

a friend of mine when he cleans his loft out always leaves a different corner with the old droppings his thinking is it keep the loft balanced and i can see some sense in this over cleaning and sterilation does have its drawbacks