AVIAN FLU

fifestay

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I'd post this extract from the 'Dimnock' report which is the investigation commissioned by Margaret Beckett into UK avian quarantine facilities following an H5N1 find in one of them in 2005. Report runs to 68 pages and probably of little interest to pigeon fanciers (other than those involved in bird import / export trade) and can be seen at:-

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/control/avianquarantine/independentreview/report.pdf

Posted this because it puts avian flu 'restrictions' into their proper perspective and is the evidence to support what I've picked up elsewhere and posted here a number of times, previously basically as an opinion based on what I've read, but can now be taken as hard fact: This is all about poultry and protecting the poultry industry.

GENERAL PUBLIC SUMMARY

This review of quarantine for birds was requested by Margaret Beckett, the Secretary of State for environment, Food and Rural Affairs, in the context of bird flu and in particular its identification in a quarantine facility in Essex.

In recent years one form (of bird flu) has become a particular danger for poultry and has infected a great many poultry in East and Southeast Asia. There are reports of the same bird flu moving into Western Asia and Eastern Europe, and so nearer the UK.

In total in the last eight years, this flu has hospitalised about 150 people and five or six out of ten have died. All of these 150 people lived or worked very closely with poultry. It is very common for people to keep their own poultry in East and Southeast Asia, unlike in the UK, so the 150 serious infections is a small proportion of people in contact with infected birds. This flu is not generally passed from human-to-human because it is a bird flu.

In the UK, we want to protect our poultry from bird flu as much as possible for three reasons:

1. if poultry are infected there are very significant economic consequences for farmers and others as that flock and neighbouring flocks must be destroyed;

2. people working with poultry are at risk (even if a relatively small risk) of contracting bird flu, and we want to protect these workers; and

3. the more bird flu there is in the world, the more opportunity there is for it to evolve or change into a human flu that can be passed from human-to-human.

Bird flu viruses normally live in wild birds and especially in water fowl (such as ducks and wading birds) which do not become sick. This means that the most likely source of infection for our poultry is through wild birds, particularly as many of them migrate seasonally between continents and could bring back infection.

Note that people's health come a very poor second and third in the list, and the economics of the poultry industry come FIRST.

The article certainly is good news from the point of view that Dr David Swayne has gone on record as late as 24th April 06 that pigeons don't spread avian flu.

We already have references to his work on avian flu and pigeons (1) an extract of the 2002 experiment (Perkins & Swayne) and (2) an exchange of emails on his experiments with the Thailand pigeon virus (3) an exchange of emails on the pigeon vets' collation...

Really interesting   from another point of view ... for the first time we have reliable information on incubation and infective periods:

Infected pigeons carried the virus about 10 days. But they were infectious for only about two days and then at levels below what it would normally take to infect a chicken.

Good work Chatrace.

Post transferred from elsewhere, 'for the record', two UK Scientists positive quotes on avian flu and pigeons..

Following confirmation of H5N1 in a whooper swan found dead at Cellardyke, Fife, The Scotsman devoted 9 pages to Avian flu on Friday 7th April 06.

On Pages 3/4 'It would be difficult for people to catch bird flu in the UK, even if they really tried hard' Professor John Oxford, an expert on AI said:-

"Everyone will now be thinking of the robins in their garden, their cat or the pigeons in a railway station, but I don't think they need to worry. Pigeons are not at the moment considered to be carriers. Right now the focus is all on migrating water birds, ducks and possibly geese. Not sparrows, starlings, robins or pigeons. You dont get starlings mixing with swans... "

And for a second opinion, pages 2/3, Q&A : Q What should I do about pigeons?:-

"Microbiologist Professor Hugh Pennington (Scotland, Food Standards Agency) says that residents should not worry about pigeons unless they were in very close proximity. He says: If they were nested in your front room and they were dying, I would be concerned. Other than that, I wouldn't worry."

At present, pigeons are unlikely carriers and pigeons simply flying close to people are not thought to be a risk. It is however wise to carry out basic hygiene procedures if in contact with pigeon droppings.

Copied from DEFRA Website:

Avian influenza (bird flu): Situation in Dereham, Norfolk

Preliminary tests on the 26 April 2006 have indicated that the avian influenza virus is present in samples from chickens found dead on a poultry farm near Dereham in Norfolk.

Further tests are being carried out to determine the strain of the virus and more will be known today (27 April 2006). The preliminary test results show that it is likely to be the H7 strain of avian influenza, and not H5N1. Further confirmatory tests are in progress to determine the pathogenicity.

As a precautionary measure birds on the premises will be slaughtered on suspicion of an avian notifiable disease. Restrictions have been placed on the farm and investigations are taking place to identify the source. When the additional laboratory results are known further action may be taken.*

*By further action, I assume there may be 3km & 10km Zones set-up for 21/30 days, as was the case in Scotland. This would entail pigeons being confined to their lofts, no training, racing, showing, sales etc in the affected Zones.

here is some good News released here about H5

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/politics/14411859.htm

Gordon Chalmers has put this on the vet email round-robin, apparently Fox News ran it on same day (24th April 06). Suggests it should appear in pigeon press too. Have responded as under:

"Hi Gordon,

Prior to the H5N1 find in a dead whooper swan in Scotland, I emailed Peter

Bryant GM of RPRA with David Swayne's work which showed pigeons do not

spread bird flu. I also emailed DEFRAs latest risk assessment on pigeons

in the wild where they were considered to be 'dead-end hosts'. This was in

response to his reply to a previous email of mine disputing this, quoting

'the vet's email'.

Perhaps an update specifically on the difference between one or two

pigeons catching the virus and dying from the disease, and general

susceptibility, infection and onward transmission of the disease to other

pigeons and other species, would be of immense benefit.

Thanks"

The Avian Influenza and Influenza of Avian Origin in Mammals (England) Order 2006 was enacted on 27th April 06 following the Dereham AI Incident.

Runs to 47 pages. Basically same provisions as the Order enacted in Scotland following the H5N1 incident there.

Available at:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/notifiable/disease/ai/pdf/si1197-ai.pdf

From Defra website:-

28th March.

Strain confirmed as H7N3, a Low (rather than High) Pathogenic strain of AI. Hunt for source of the infection and 'contacts' continues.

An LPAI restricted zone has (already) been set-up, 1km radius of infected farm, Order puts restrictions on captive birds and 'bird gatherings' and includes a map showing the zone at :-

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/notifiable/disease/ai/pdf/norfolk-declaration280406.pdf

28th April - Health Protection Agency: Press Statement

Conjunctivitis caused by H7 avian influenza in poultry worker

The Health Protection Agency (HPA) has confirmed that a poultry worker is suffering from conjunctivitis caused by H7 avian influenza. The individual works on the Norfolk poultry farm confirmed as having an outbreak of (low pathogenic) H7N3 avian influenza.

H7N3 does not transmit easily from poultry to people, so the risk to those in contact with the infected poultry is considered low. H7N3 does not transmit readily from person to person and so the risk to anyone in contact with the infected poultry worker is also considered to be very low. In almost all cases of human H7 infection to date, the virus, in both low and high pathogenic forms, has only caused a mild disease. Therefore in this outbreak the risk to the general public is extremely limited.

The poultry worker reported his illness on 27 April. Samples were taken and sent to the regional Health Protection Agency laboratory and the HPA Centre for Infections for analyses where H7 was confirmed.

The poultry worker, who does not require hospitalisation, was given the antiviral drug oseltamivir as a precautionary measure on 27 April, as soon as the HPA was notified of the incident at the Norfolk poultry farm. Oseltamivir is the standard treatment for H7. The poultry worker, along with the others involved in the incident, is also being offered seasonal influenza vaccine. Normal seasonal flu vaccination is given to prevent the H7 virus from mixing with any human flu viruses that may be circulating.

Conjunctivitis causes red, sore, itchy eyes and the worker has no respiratory symptoms. To date, most human cases of H7 avian influenza have presented with conjunctivitis only.

The local Health Protection Agency has identified and followed up the poultry worker's household contacts and is providing guidance and advice, and preventative medication as appropriate.

As a precautionary measure the Health Protection Agency is taking nose and throat swabs and blood tests from the other poultry workers, and monitoring their health closely. As the poultry workers were involved in the H7 incident, they are already taking oseltamivir for prevention of illness.

Dr Jonathan Van Tam , a flu expert at the Health Protection Agency, said:

"It is important to remember that H7 avian flu remains largely a disease of birds. The virus does not transmit easily to humans, as evidenced by the small number of confirmed infections worldwide to date. Almost all human H7 infections documented so far have been associated with close contact with dead or dying poultry.

"The threat to human health posed by H7 avian influenza viruses remains very low despite the recent developments in Norfolk ."

29th March

Test results positive for avian influenza in two more poultry farms in Norfolk

Tests have provided positive results for avian influenza in chickens on two further poultry farms near Dereham, Norfolk. The preliminary results indicate H7N3, but further tests are being carried out by the Veterinary Laboratories Agency.

The two free range flocks will be slaughtered on suspicion of an avian notifiable disease. A restricted zone has been put in place extending 1km from each of the infected premises. The State Veterinary Service is tracing movements and contacts, the necessary surveillance and all appropriate worker protection measures have been put in place.

Debby Reynolds, Chief Veterinary Officer said:

“We still can not say whether either of these two further farms are the index case, further premises may be involved. We are investigating whether there any links or movements between the two suspect farms and the confirmed infected premises. The working hypothesis remains that the most likely source of the virus is from another premises or from wild birds.”

29th April : Declaration of a Combined Temporary Movement Restriction Zone and Temporary Control Zone

Restrictions and map of zones at:-

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/diseases/notifiable/disease/ai/pdf/norfolk-declaration290406.pdf

Something I posted on another site concerning a TV Movie coming out next week here in North America.

We haven't been bothered as yet with the AI, but after this I beleive all "Hell" is going to break loose with the paranoia that may come from this?

I sure hope the governments over here have been paying attention to what is happening elsewhere and explain in laymans terms exactly, that we do not live in the same enviornments where it started and it is highley unlikely to be spread by our birds. "NOT PIGEONS", but Ducks,Swans,Geese etc. are the most likely carriers.

Bird Flu Hitting TV Screens May 9

By ANDREW BRIDGES, Associated Press Writer Fri Apr 28, 4:45 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Bodies piling up so quickly it takes dump trucks to haul them away. Barbed wire to keep whole neighborhoods quarantined. It's Hollywood's version of bird flu, a blur of fact and fiction that some scientists say could confuse the public.

Fatal Contact: Bird Flu in America," an ABC made-for-television movie, airs May 9, just as scientists are to begin testing of wild birds in Alaska that could herald the arrival of bird flu in North America. Scientists fear the bird flu virus could evolve so it could be passed from human to human, sparking a global pandemic.

The two-hour movie plays up that notion to the fullest, with a running ticker that tallies tens of millions of victims worldwide. In one scene, the bodies are thrown on a pyre, like the carcasses of cows torched in the 2001 foot-and-mouth disease outbreak in Great Britain. The producers of the movie, from the writer of 2002's "Atomic Twister," bill their work as a "thinking man's disaster film."

"We call this a plausible, worst-case scenario. This could actually happen. It may not be this bad but it could be this bad. The reason to portray it this way is to kind of give a wake-up call to everyone and this is something we shouldn't ignore and we should be as prepared as we should be," said Diana Kerew, one of the movie's executive producers.

What's your thoughts? Should we prepare for this movie?

Don't know if others here would agree with my view, Bill.

Prior to the H5N1 incident in Scotland, we had all sorts of negative stuff both in films & newpapers; for example earlier in the same month that the infected swan was discovered, there was worrying stuff said in the papers about feral & racing pigeons ... pure garbage really ... yet even the better newspapers like The Scotsman ran it.

When the H5N1 incident happened in Scotland, The Scotsman ran 9 pages, including some very positive statements from John Oxford and Hugh Pennington about pigeons (both were quoted as saying that there was nothing to fear from them).

There was also very little media coverage after the opening days since the "riveting TV & Newspaper stuff" simply didn't happen ... no mounds of dead wild birds piled high in the street, no human infections ... basically, no nothing.

Now there's H7N3 in Norfolk, in three farms, thousands of poultry destroyed, at least one poultry worker infected, but because its not 'the deadly strain'  its not "riveting TV & Newspaper stuff" either and hardly ever makes the news.

My view is this: while bird flu is a thing that doesn't affect the home country, the media can say whatever tosh it likes: but when it reaches the home country its a different story. They have moral & legal obligations NOT to needlessly alarm the general population. If there is the slightest chance that their copy will do that, the government would slap on a press blackout ... an economic sanction.

Bill,

I think there has been some paranoia on this side of the Pond since the History Channel showed a "worse case scenario" documentary about a couple of months ago.

We all know how paranoid people on this side of the Pond are about "Germs" this has been brough about by the intense media advertisments both for medications and cleaning products, you only have to see the "Dial Medicated Soap" advert  (the one where the female is either opening doors or flushing the lavatory with her foot to prevent picking up "Germs") to realise that the public are being brainwashed.

I'm getting questions from friends and neighbours already and I have a folder with material printed out from Pigeon Basics to show people regarding Avian flu and racing pigeons.BUT I think some people will take a lot of convincing and I think we will have a rough time in the States should Avian Influenza arrive especially from overprotective females thinking we are going to kill their kids.

Bill & Hyacinth: Gordon Chalmers has picked up the same story of the broadcast on May 9th and emailed it to his contacts. Won't repeat full email here as basically same as Bill posted. However, this extract supports what I believe ... anything goes if it boosts sales income:-

ABC will broadcast the movie during sweeps, when networks often trot out scare fare to boost the ratings that help determine local advertising rates.

Agree with Fifer. Our experience so far has shown that restrictions apply within the designated zones only, and even then are for limited periods.

Frankly, what puzzles me is why we aren't getting first-hand accounts posted by people nearer to the problem area, and within the zones.

;D ;D ;D SAVED BY THE BELL  ;D ;D ;D

AFTER BRUNO AND I HAD BEEN FIGHTING FOR 10 ROUNDS ;D IN THE BACK GARDEN HE WAS JUST ABOUT TO GIVE ME THE KNOCK OUT BLOW ;D WHEN I WAS SAVED BY THE BELL ;D, ;D WE WERE BOTH TAKEN ABACK BY THE REMARK OF A NEIGHBOUR [WATCHING US HANDLING PIGEONS]"HAVE THOSE PIGEONS GOT THAT BIRD FLU" WELL WE ANSWERED THE BEST WAY WE COULD ,BUT WERE BOTH TAKEN BY SURPRISE, SO NOW I HAVE MANY PRINT OUTS TO REPLY TO ANY MORE SUCH INCIDENTS [WHICH I HAVENT HAD]BUT IT JUST GOES TO SHOW HOW THEY THINK AT TIMES.

;D;D ONLY KIDDING OFF COURSE AT THE FIRST BIT,  ;D;D ACTUALLY, WE HAD A GREAT DAY, FIRST TIME WE MET EACH OTHER ;D ;D

To tell the truth, I was speechless.

Guess Jimmy's neighbour must have thought things looked mighty strange, two men looking at pigeons in the back garden  ;D by the light of the moon  ;D accompanied by strange mutterings like  ;D 'no its a F for Fifer Jimmy';  ;D 'jings this is a big one'  ;D etc.

But honestly couldn't think of anything to say at the time, and I was pleased that Jimmy's neighbour quickly changed the subject to internet radio. Damned if I can see the connection though between flu & music.  ;D

• 2 weeks later...

THOUGHT MEMBERS MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN A STORY THAT WAS ON THE FRONT OF OUR LOCAL PAPER LAST WEEKEND HEADLINES WERE "WATER FIRM,S BIRD FLU FLAP"WHICH HAD ME WORRIED WHEN I SAW IT,LOCAL HOTEL OWNERS WERE ASTONISHED TO RECEIVE A LETTER FROM THE WATER BOARD TO SAY THAT THEIR WATER METER COULD NOT BE READ BECAUSE OF A DEAD BIRD THAT WAS IN THE ALLEY WAY NEAR TO THE WATER METER.A SEVERN TRENT SPOKESMAN SAID THAT THE BIRD WHICH HAD NOT BEEN IDENTIFIED WAS ON TOP OF THE METER AND THAT THEIR STAFF HAD TO BE WARY OF THE THREAT OF BIRD FLU.MRS.THOMAS THE LOCAL HOTEL OWNER SAID THAT IF THE METER READER HAD GONE INTO THE HOTEL ONE OF THE STAFF MEMBERS WOULD HAVE REMOVED IT FOR THEM RATHER THAN THE WATER BOARD SENDING OUT A LETTER.

• 1 month later...

Conference notes taken from OIE website which confirm that wild birds and poultry are still the main risk factors in the spread of avian flu. Ammunition perhaps for the DEFRA channel 'review' meeting on 31st July 06?

OIE : 02-June-2006

Wild birds' role in HPAI crisis confirmed - But scientific conference fingers poultry business.

1 June 2006 , Rome - Migrating wild birds have played and will likely continue to play a role in transporting highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) virus, or bird flu, over long distances. This was among the main conclusions of a two-day international scientific conference called by the UN Food and Agriculture Organization and the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE).

But the conference, attended by over 300 scientists from more than 100 countries also recognized that the virus was mainly spread through poultry trade, both legal and illegal.

“Several presentations at the Conference, some supported by recent publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals, implicated wild birds in the introduction of HPAI H5N1 virus at considerable geographical distance from known H5N1 outbreaks in poultry,” the meeting said in a concluding document.

Reservoir puzzle

But the participants admitted they could not resolve another of the key issues at the conference, which was the role of wild birds in the spread of HPAI to more than 50 countries on three continents, and whether wild birds should now be considered a permanent reservoir of the virus.

If they are such a reservoir, there is a strong likelihood they will carry the virus with them in subsequent migrations. Alternately H5N1 may subside naturally as infected animals die off, or it may mutate to a less aggressive form.

“This was one of the main gaps identified in our present scientific knowledge,” said Joseph Domenech, FAO's chief veterinary officer. “We must therefore intensify our investigations.”

The conference noted that the current outbreaks of H5N1 virus in eight African countries appeared to be poultry-related and chiefly based on trade in poultry for human consumption, including illegal trade. However, it called for further analysis for a more complete understanding of how the virus was introduced.

More investment

"There is a need to mobilize the international donor community to invest in the improvement of veterinary services in developing countries, especially in Africa and Asia,” Dr Gideon K. Brückner, Head of OIE's Scientific and Technical Department, said.

Wise investments here will promote early detection in wild birds and rapid response to disease outbreaks, Dr Brückner added.

H5N1 disease management would need to be based on improved biosecurity and hygiene at the production level, and in all poultry sectors, including minimizing the possibility of contact between domestic and wild birds, the conference advocated.

It called for the establishment of a global tracking and monitoring facility involving all relevant institutions across the world, including scientific centres and farmers'organizations, hunters, bird watchers, and wetland and wildlife conservation societies.

The participants rejected any suggestion of trying to stop the spread of HPAI by killing wild birds. “Destruction of wild bird habitats or indiscriminate hunting of wildlife is scientifically and ethically unjustified as a response,” one of the conference recommendations said.

It urged continuing research to adopt an inter-disciplinary approach, and called for investment to incorporate telemetry/satellite technology to improve understanding of wild bird migration patterns (see related article “Free as a bird – or under surveillance”).

June 2006

• 2 weeks later...

Had a quick browse on the OIE website last night. Of direct interest to those flying from France and worried about what happens after 31st July:-

FRANCE WAS DECLARED AN AI-FREE ZONE ON 28TH JUNE 2006.

Now perhaps the 'right' question can be asked: why does DEFRA want to stop us racing from France when France doesn't have Avian Flu and there has never been a case of a racing pigeon becoming infected in the wild OR spreading the disease OR virus?