Using the Microscope

I got one of those microscopes from Lidl over xmas - Will definately need someone to show me what im looking for!! i.e. for a throat swab, using a cotton bud - how far down their throat do I need to go etc. And whats the best time of day to test for cocci??

i believe its to the bottom of the throat,and freshest droppings as possible

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Does anyone in the forum use a microscope to monitor the health of their pigeons ?

If so what tests and what is the specs needed on the microscope ?

I'm looking at starting this myself Craig, and basically getting nowhere fast.

I'm trying to track down the Home Doctor system, have seen references to it on other threads on the forum, but can find zilch on-line on its features, who supports it and whether the system will be upgraded in the future.

I'm particularly interested in visual aids or recognition systems, to help identify what is on the slide. Redcheqhen's post elsewhere has put me on to a book [under the microscope] but wondered if there was something out there specifically for pigeon fanciers.

• 3 weeks later...

THE FLYING VET'S PIGEON HEALTH & MANAGEMENT -by Dr. Colin Walker. Dr. Walker is a very successful pigeon racing veterinarian in Australia, and he shares information gained during 30 years of racing his own birds that includes race fitness, race preparation and recovery, disease control during racing and breeding, behavior, droppings, loft design, feeding, and much more. Many of his Australian Pigeon Company products are discussed in this book. Hardcover with color photographs, 322 pp.

http://www.siegelpigeons.com/catalog-health.html

this is a great book with photo aids for yopu to compare when using your scope

Scopes in the post, from USA.  :)

Includes some prepared slides, and have seen others on offer. German firm also market them, dropped them an email but no reply.

Mines is a PC job so hope to be able to collect 'samples' on-line. Here's a sample pic -cocci

Agree with much you say Roland, but I'd like to seperate hype from reality. Posts elsewhere reinforce my gut feeling that there's a lot of sales patter in the press [and even in pet shops] that 'yer dug etc' is riddled with this that and the next thing and you should give it this & that every other month.

Think the main bit is being able to interpret what you see. If I'm stuck thought about firing the slide up on forum, or if I'm stuck & worried, avian vet only 20 minutes away from where I live that I can phone for advice or maybes email slide to.

• 1 month later...

I agree with your theme of independant testing, having results double checked..

I think there is always a danger of conflict of interest when a test service also supplies pigeon medical specifics, too easy to change hats yes you've got a problem and yes I can help you with what you need for it.

It'll take me a while to get started [close season] but I intend to do my own, and if there is something there that I need advice on, I intend to pop it up on screen [should that be poop it up  ;D  ] for others to have a look, and / or take it to the vet.

Incidently, anyone know where to purchase chemicals for a Gram stain?

• 2 months later...

1st one is plant cells  

2nd and 3rd - not sure, 3rd possibly just cell chambers containing starch granules

4th one - not 100% but could be roundworm egg

:-/ :-/

but this is from someone who has never seen one cocci oocyst - or one worm egg on a microscope slide as yet from umpteen samples I've looked at

what magnification are these? (I would guess x100)

Hi Red, do you look for cultures in pigeon poo for yourself? or is this just a quick quiz? ;D

I can't do cultures cos I haven't got the equipment  :P

But I can tell if there is an imbalance in the bacteria - and if there is a yeast infection ( which one of my young birds had last week)

But for that you need to look at x400 magnification  ;D

I can't do cultures cos I haven't got the equipment  :P

But I can tell if there is an imbalance in the bacteria - and if there is a yeast infection ( which one of my young birds had last week)

But for that you need to look at x400 magnification  ;D

It must be quite interesting looking through the microscope and finding things. ;D ;D