Breeding system

thedubs

Please excuse my ignorance, but could someone explain to me the difference between widowhood and natural. Which system would be easier for a novice to manage. Any info would be much apprecited, thanks in advance.

I would ask the fancier I got the birds off, but i don't want him to think im a complete eejit !!

HI WIDOWHOOD IS RACING EITHER THE COCK OR HEN BACK TO THE OPPOSITE SEX,KEEPING THEM APART FOR MOST OF THE WEEK,NATURAL IS LEAVING THEM PAIRED TOGETHER TO RACE BACK TO EGG BABIES OR DRIVING.THE DUBLIN SHOW IS ON TOMORROW AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO BUY DVDS OR BOOKS THAT TELLS YOU ALL ABOUT PIGEONS,THE SHOW IS ON AT THE IRISH KENNEL CLUB NEAR DUBLIN AIRPORT BESIDE THE COACHMANS IN.

Buy the following book. It will help you with widowhood with both cocks and hens.

THE WIDOWHOOD BOOK BY C.A.E. OSMAN

you will be able to get it from Amazon. It is an old book but it will give you loads of good ideas. After that you will need to ask and listen.

Guest Davy Fleming

Get a book mate and have a good read of it many times and you will get it right in time but never think you are an eejit cause you aren't . We are all here to learn and help each other on here all the time no matter what the problem is. And nobody will down you for wanting to learn as know most of the guys on here will be down there throat like a rat up a drainpipe . Just stick in and you will get there.  ;) ;) ;)

Guest frank dooman

i would allways sugest to new starters to fly natural for a couple of years untill you get to know certain things then if you like you can advance to other raceing systems

Guest frank dooman

in my opinion flying widowhood is easier than flying natural, even for a novice as well.......... :)

i dont disagree but get it wrong and it might finnish a new start, when some one starts pigeons there is alot to learn simple things that most old hands take for granted just bieng able to keep them healthy how much to feed etc. widowhood is too compeditive you have to walk before you run even some good old fanciers never manage to master it there is alot to learn before you realy should be thinking about winning i know some just hapen to win right away but ive seen the same men out the sport in a few years just my oppinion

i dont disagree but get it wrong and it might finnish a new start, when some one starts pigeons there is alot to learn simple things that most old hands take for granted just bieng able to keep them healthy how much to feed etc. widowhood is too compeditive you have to walk before you run even some good old fanciers never manage to master it there is alot to learn before you realy should be thinking about winning i know some just hapen to win right away but ive seen the same men out the sport in a few years just my oppinion

true, but get either system wrong and you arnt going to do anything.......fanciers need to keep them healthy, feed etc whichever system they use. yes widowhood is competative, but its the results that are achieved through flying widowhood that make it so competative........once the pigeons learn the system of widowhood the whole management routine is easier, for example you have to have a natural sitting eggs or on a yb just at the right time to send it in form/condition. also once racing has started you dont need to train widowhood cocks unless the fancier thinks they need the odd training toss, i know some fanciers do train them tho but thats up to their personal choice... :)

Guest frank dooman

true, but get either system wrong and you arnt going to do anything.......fanciers need to keep them healthy, feed etc whichever system they use. yes widowhood is competative, but its the results that are achieved through flying widowhood that make it so competative........once the pigeons learn the system of widowhood the whole management routine is easier, for example you have to have a natural sitting eggs or on a yb just at the right time to send it in form/condition. also once racing has started you dont need to train widowhood cocks unless the fancier thinks they need the odd training toss, i know some fanciers do train them tho but thats up to their personal choice... :)

i agree 90% but a new start should be thinking about getting birds home more than winning atleast for the first season make your mistakes and learn

i agree 90% but a new start should be thinking about getting birds home more than winning atleast for the first season make your mistakes and learn

yes i agree frank, its very hard for a new starter to jump straight into pigeon racing when they have no experience ....your correct in saying they need to have a learning period to understand fully how to look after the pigeons....... :)

i agree flapper get the dave alan widhood year book great book easy to follow step by step from start of season to end  ;)

I agree. Why waste 2 years learning natural when you could spend the two years learning widowhood? Which is a much easier sytem. The disadvantage of course is not testing the hens. But for easiest it has to be widowhood.

i would allways sugest to new starters to fly natural for a couple of years untill you get to know certain things then if you like you can advance to other raceing systems

yes, i would agree with this post,, but at the same time, getting any system right,, they will win,, but theres horses for courses , some birds fly better natural, others w/hood,, but in learning the natural system , you will learn more and more  about  pigeons, i,e behaviours, tempraments, breedings etc  and any other systems can be advanced from there, if need be

yes, i would agree with this post,, but at the same time, getting any system right,, they will win,, but theres horses for courses , some birds fly better natural, others w/hood,, but in learning the natural system , you will learn more and more  about  pigeons, i,e behaviours, tempraments, breedings etc  and any other systems can be advanced from there, if need be

Hi Jimmy understand where your coming from. However I don't agree, a new starter needs less complication.

a) whichever system you try some birds will adapt better than others so no reason to fly either

B) 'you will learn more about pigeons', well yes if you want to be a pigeon psychologist and find out what motivates each individual. But as a new starter you want a simple system that can get you competing from day 1with the big boys. And don't forget the new starter in our sport is competing with the Man u's from day 1. The sexual urge of the male of nearly every species is the greatest motivater and a simple motivator and if you want to make it more complex and delve into the pigeon's mind you can with widowhood and don't forget the hen psychologically has a huge part to play.

c) You can move on to natural when you find widowhood isn't working or you get bored with it and you will still have learnt an immense amount about th different behviours and temprements in the loft.

I'm not saying widowhood is best just that it's easier for a new starter and s/he is more likley I think to stay in the sport longer starting on widowhood than natural.

For what its worth I think roundabout is the best system but you need a fair bit of time getting the birds in and out of the loft.

we have 2 sections 1 for the coks with their boxes in the other section for the hens has poles in we have to sets of doors the hens go out 1st then we chase the cocks thru into the hens section,when the  hens have had an hour  they are trapped thru the door into the coks section. then the cock are let out of the hens section..

now this is where some differ we feed the hens in the cocks section let them have a drink  and chase them back into there own section.

race day the cocks and hens (thisis upto you how many you send) can all go to the race,on arrival from the race all trap into the coks section. this is the way we fly roundabout others withmore space do it differently

Hi thedubs,

The loft setup for each system is a little different. I would suggest you read up a little on each system (lots of info on the net) and see what fits your schedule and your loft. If you haven't built a loft yet then build a loft to suit widowhood cause you can easily adapt the other systems to a widowhood setup without much remodeling. And without a doubt you'll be changing eventually  :) I don't think there any such thing as a pigeon flyer that never changes something.... ;)

Good Luck

Yours in the sport.

Carol  :)

Hi thedubs,

The loft setup for each system is a little different. I would suggest you read up a little on each system (lots of info on the net) and see what fits your schedule and your loft. If you haven't built a loft yet then build a loft to suit widowhood cause you can easily adapt the other systems to a widowhood setup without much remodeling. And without a doubt you'll be changing eventually  :) I don't think there any such thing as a pigeon flyer that never changes something.... ;)

Good Luck

Yours in the sport.

Carol  :)

You can use the same set up for widowhood and roundabout